Losing weight without losing muscle

Options
2»

Replies

• lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    I use all soy products now but haven't tried the protein. I guess I'm definitely going old school with some squats, lunges, push ups, etc... I do have 7 lb dumbbells. Thanks everyone! I love this site and all you guys!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Heres my 2 cents.

You can only burn so much FAT in 1 day.
    Once the cortisol is stimulated youll start burning lean mass.
    So try this.
    Set a static calorie for each day of the week.
    Shoot for 20% below TDEE.
    Drop cardio and start lifting 3 times a week.
    Instead of hopping on the scale youll measure Body Fat% either using tape or calipers.
    If you are not happy after a month of lifting heavyand just losing fat, add in a day of HIIT cardio for 20mins.
    Do this for 2 weeks with HIIT cardio 20 mins every weds.
    If you arent happy with your fat loss still, I think youll be shocked BTW, add in another day of HIIT cardio.

To understand more on the "How much fat per day" read this https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=160054937436250
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    I just checked out that scooby site and it said cardio DOES NOT burn muscle. It said the drastic calorie cuts are the reason energy is pulled from the muscle. As long as you're eating enough protein, you should BUILD muscle. Great site tho!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I use all soy products now but haven't tried the protein. I guess I'm definitely going old school with some squats, lunges, push ups, etc... I do have 7 lb dumbbells. Thanks everyone! I love this site and all you guys!

go to walmart and buy Jillian Michael's 30ds for $9...does wonders
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I just checked out that scooby site and it said cardio DOES NOT burn muscle. It said the drastic calorie cuts are the reason energy is pulled from the muscle. As long as you're eating enough protein, you should BUILD muscle. Great site tho!

Protein synthesis doesnt quite work that way.
    Cardio doesnt burn muscle but putting too much stress on your CNS creates a spike in cortisol.
    Cortisol burns muscle.
    So in part hes right!
    cortisol comes from any type of stress including cardio.
    You can also do too much lifting and lose muscle!
    Wrap your head around that!
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Protein synthesis doesnt quite work that way.
    Cardio doesnt burn muscle but putting too much stress on your CNS creates a spike in cortisol.
    Cortisol burns muscle.
    So in part hes right!
    cortisol comes from any type of stress including cardio.
    You can also do too much lifting and lose muscle!
    Wrap your head around that!
    Cortisol levels increasing enough to cause catabolism of your muscles only takes place after about an hour of rigorous exercise. So if you limit your workouts to 50-70 minutes per day its not an issue.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    Nothing wrong with doing cardio as long as your eating enough extra calories to make up for the calories burned by your cardio. For example Michael Phelps ( the Olympic swimmer) Has to eat 5000 calories per day to maintain his lean muscle mass.
  • Tabsta
    Tabsta Posts: 28
    Options
    Nothing wrong with doing cardio as long as your eating enough extra calories to make up for the calories burned by your cardio. For example Michael Phelps ( the Olympic swimmer) Has to eat 5000 calories per day to maintain his lean muscle mass.

Spot on !! Feed the muscle, burn the fat :smile:
  • thegoya
    thegoya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • celtsguy81
    celtsguy81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So.. I think I just read some different things here.

I understand weight training is good, and I understand adding muscle increases resting metabolism rate.

But I think I just read that cardio only REALLY hurts (I.E., - uses up muscle) if I'm doing roughly an hour or more a day, and/or if I am not taking in enough calories that day to provide adequate energy for the cardio.

Is that right? So if I'm doing 45 min on the elliptical but I'm on the higher end of my calorie intake for the day I won't lose as much muscle?
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    So.. I think I just read some different things here.

I understand weight training is good, and I understand adding muscle increases resting metabolism rate.

But I think I just read that cardio only REALLY hurts (I.E., - uses up muscle) if I'm doing roughly an hour or more a day, and/or if I am not taking in enough calories that day to provide adequate energy for the cardio.

Is that right? So if I'm doing 45 min on the elliptical but I'm on the higher end of my calorie intake for the day I won't lose as much muscle?
    No If your eating at a deficit and losing weight (regardless of if your doing any cardio) and your not lifting about 22% of your weight loss will be from lean muscle. Cortisol levels will rise regardless of if your eating at a surplus or deficit. ( I dont know why he even mentioned it)
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of intense cardio daily, and lift weights 3 days/week. I eat at a 20% TDEE deficit. In the past 9 weeks, I've lost 11 lbs of fat, and I have not gained, nor lost muscle mass (by % body fat calculations). This trend may change over time, but for right now it's working just fine. Eat plenty of protein. Lift weights. Do cardio. Get plenty of sleep. Don't try to lose too much weight too fast.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of intense cardio daily, and lift weights 3 days/week. I eat at a 20% TDEE deficit. In the past 9 weeks, I've lost 11 lbs of fat, and I have not gained, nor lost muscle mass (by % body fat calculations). This trend may change over time, but for right now it's working just fine. Eat plenty of protein. Lift weights. Do cardio. Get plenty of sleep. Don't try to lose too much weight too fast.
    What BF% calculations are you using?
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I use the Army Fitness Calculator, which uses Height, Neck Circumference, and Waist Circumference.