Sugar allowance

Options
Hi. In the my fitness pal nutrient breakdown it says I should only have 24 grams of sugar a day. Is this all sugar or added sugar? I eat a lot of plain greek yogurt for protein and I'm always over the sugar allowance for the day. If I add a piece of fruit I'm way over. Any suggestions? Thanks

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen here it seems many just ignore the sugar allowance with regard to fruit and un-added sugars (word?)

I just completely took away the sugar tracker and replaced it with potassium, iron, or calcium, things I want to make sure I get enough of.

Almost all of my sugar comes from real food so when I do have added sugar I know exactly where it came from, no reason to log it. I'm way over MFP limits just on fruit everyday but I don't worry about it, I feel the benefits outweigh the sugar esp since I've cut out almost all added sugars.
  • jonkit
    jonkit Posts: 4
    Options
    From what I've seen here it seems many just ignore the sugar allowance with regard to fruit and un-added sugars (word?)

I just completely took away the sugar tracker and replaced it with potassium, iron, or calcium, things I want to make sure I get enough of.

Almost all of my sugar comes from real food so when I do have added sugar I know exactly where it came from, no reason to log it. I'm way over MFP limits just on fruit everyday but I don't worry about it, I feel the benefits outweigh the sugar esp since I've cut out almost all added sugars.

Thanks Sapalee for your quick response. I was starving last night and could not figure out what I could eat since I had already went over my sugar limit yet had like 50 grams of carbs yet to go. Seems everything thats a carb also has sugar in it!:smile: