Personal Trainers?

Options
So, i've discovered there is a personal training studio close to my work, that's all they do there, one on one sessions based on your goals, and i'm considering checking it out. I feel like I would do quite well in this sort of environment, learning proper techniques and the things I should be doing to achieve the results I want before I venture into a big gym with no help. At this place there are only ever 3 or 4 people in the personal training studio at a time as it's by appointment and the trainer is working exclusively with you the entire time you're there. The gym near my house also offers personal training...but it's a big box gym, all college kids and they seem to cycle through trainers like mad (constantly seeing job ads), plus they don't seem to be one-on-one. This place has had the same trainers for years which makes it seem more reputable somehow. Have any of you ever done this before? If so, did you enjoy it/feel it was beneficial? And what is a reasonable fee for sessions? (I haven't been in touch with them yet but i'd like to know what fairly normal costs are so I have something to compare to.)

Replies

• TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I was interested once, but when they told me that one session was 69$ I run away... I just did a lot of research online and found a free program to follow myself instead. I'm not saying is bad, but if you can afford it do it.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I just posted a thread today about how I think personal trainers try to hard to please the customer rather than design an honestly good program, so I would "test" them to make sure they can give me what I want before I paid them anything.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I use a personal trainer at a training studio. All they do is personal training - it's like you described. There is cardio equipment for use by members, but no one touches the resistance equipment without a trainer and appointment. I've been training this way for over a year. It is expensive, but i love it. And i've gotten great results. You have to make sure you get a trainer that fits you - there are several guys at the gym, and i love them, we're friends - but i wouldn't train with them. One does too much gymnastic type stuff, that's his background. One is a big cheerleader - all rah rah and you can do it. I don't respond well to that. My guy pushes me - he gives me heavy weights, and challenges me to get stronger.

I will eventually move on to a "big box" and train myself, but for now - i love my private personal trainer and the small environment.
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    It is going to depend on the quality of the trainer. I've been through 3 and I really like my current one who is a body builder. 1 didn't correct or explain form, a must, and the second didn't change the routine to suit me - a cookie cutter routine that all her clients were doing, talking to others during my time, trying to cut the time short, and wasn't really challenging me to do what I couldn't do myself - and had no idea where I could push to as she never wrote down the weights I did.

That being said my current trainer is great - in my first session alone I lifted heavier than what I was expecting and loved it. Most give the first session free to try it out so I would recommend doing that. I found a deal online that is saving me $200 so look around.

They can definitely cost but it would be worth it even if you just went a few times to get corrections on your form and some advice on a routine.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Very interesting....thanks everyone. I'll definitely get some more information and see if I can go in to check it out or have some trial sessions, talk to the different trainers etc before committing to anything.
  • siwelh
    siwelh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Be careful. I've had some bad personal trainers. I've had two talk about themselves non-stop! I don't want to be friends with my trainer, I want to work out. Hard. Which leads me to my second problem: My trainers have usually been too easy on me as well. Finally, one ended up being an all around creep and I walked away from at least $200 in sessions because he was just so...creepy. Which leads me to my last warning, if any internal alarms are going off- walk away- even if you are getting a "great deal".

I do better in a class where I can see what others are doing and can compete against them (whether they know it or not ;))

That said, a good trainer (and I have since known several) is great for the person who is terrified about going into a gym. You'll learn equipment, build confidence and get into a routine, so eventually you can join a gym and develop your own workout. OR- there are some people who really won't workout unless they loose $ by not going, so a trainer is great for them as well.

As far as doing it on your own,

I recommend these books for strength training:
    101 Ways to Work Out with Weights
    101 Workouts for Women
    and Jillian Michaels Hot Bod in a Box (ok, its "cards" not a book, but super helpful)
    (all are available on amazon)

And this blog has lots of great workouts: http://www.pbfingers.com/ whether you like the elliptical, stair master or treadmill.

Good luck!!
  • lilpe5512
    lilpe5512 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    The YMCA offers personal trainers as part of your membership. I lucked up and go an old army sergeant. No yelling but he stays on my case. He makes me printout my food dairy so that he can mark all over it. I'm really enjoying the personal touch!
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Be careful. I've had some bad personal trainers. I've had two talk about themselves non-stop! I don't want to be friends with my trainer, I want to work out. Hard. Which leads me to my second problem: My trainers have usually been too easy on me as well. Finally, one ended up being an all around creep and I walked away from at least $200 in sessions because he was just so...creepy. Which leads me to my last warning, if any internal alarms are going off- walk away- even if you are getting a "great deal".

I do better in a class where I can see what others are doing and can compete against them (whether they know it or not ;))

That said, a good trainer (and I have since known several) is great for the person who is terrified about going into a gym. You'll learn equipment, build confidence and get into a routine, so eventually you can join a gym and develop your own workout. OR- there are some people who really won't workout unless they loose $ by not going, so a trainer is great for them as well.

As far as doing it on your own,

I recommend these books for strength training:
    101 Ways to Work Out with Weights
    101 Workouts for Women
    and Jillian Michaels Hot Bod in a Box (ok, its "cards" not a book, but super helpful)
    (all are available on amazon)

And this blog has lots of great workouts: http://www.pbfingers.com/ whether you like the elliptical, stair master or treadmill.

Good luck!!

Thank you, i'll check these out!