Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian Diet

Options
I've been considering making the switch to vegetarianism for awhile now, and would like to get the opinion of those that are currently vegetarians, and those that have tried it at any point in their lives. Did you struggle with any nutritional deficiencies? Did you find it hard to keep up with strength gains or any other area of fitness? What kinds of vegetarian diets have you tried? To be honest, I would find it difficult to give up eggs and dairy products. Any other tips?

Replies

• OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    My love is a vegetarian. I just make sure that he is getting enough iron. He is also a lacto-ovo (best kind in my opinion).
    Why are you choosing to go vegetarian?
  • shannonmarable
    shannonmarable Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you want to be a flexitarian.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/flexitarian-diet
  • Bethyann7793
    Options
    Im vegetarian, and I love it.
    I feel healthier when I eat this way :)
    You dont have to give up dairy to eat vegetarian.
    Giving up all animal products would be vegan.

I dont eat or drink much dairy since im also lactose intollerant, so i use almond milk instead.
    and i eat eggs or lactose yogurt a few times a week.

When i first started, i slowly left meat out.
    like i would have one or two days a week when i would eat meat, then slowly took it out.

and with fitness, i dont see any difference in weakness or strength. i just feel better :)
    I feel less bloated all of the time though lol.

oh, The best way to make sure you have all of your supplements is to actually take a vitamen and eat a varety of foods.
  • zimmmmms
    zimmmmms Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I switched to vegetarianism in November and LOVE it. Forces you to try new things and really broadens your palette. Super fun and healthy! PS I also went slowly - went off red meat first, then chicken, etc. Probably a good idea to do it that way.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    What's your reason for wanting to become a vegetarian? It is a good way to ensure you have a varied diet. The only thing I have struggled with has been iron, but I had to take iron supplements before I became a vegetarian anyway. I have just re-started strength training after a long bout of laziness, so I can't tell you much about muscle.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I've been a pescatarian all my life. I don't eat beef, pork, or poultry, but I do eat seafood, dairy (in limited quantities -- I have sinus issues), and eggs. My iron levels have always been fine and I get enough protein, but I recently found out that I'm a little low in vitamin B12. Not low enough that the doctor is concerned, but a little outside the normal limit.

Edited to add: I used to compete in weightlifting in the strict curl event, so this diet hasn't hindered my ability to build muscle.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    There's a myth, extremely prevalent here I've noticed, that a vegetarian diet is nutrient deficient.

Find some helpful resources here: http://www.veganathlete.com/
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Forces you to try new things and really broadens your palette. Super fun and healthy!

^This! I really enjoy eating and cooking without meat, and it's a alot cheaper too! My strength and fitness has only improved since changing my eating habits. Just make sure you're making healthy choices and including plenty of veg and pulses etc. If you let bread, pasta, cheese etc become your staples, you'd end up worse off and likely experience effects of nutrient deficiency.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian all my life and my family and extended families are all vegetarian. I don't see any nutritional deficiency and we are all very healthy. I have added protein since last 3 months because my trainer insists. I take Vitamin B and Vitamin D daily. If you get a chance...read the 'The kind diet' by Alicia Silverstone in which she details the benefits of being vegetarian and some simple great recipes.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    A vegetarian diet can be totally healthy. I was veg for 12 years with no problems and didn't take supplements. I only went back to meat because I was ordered by my doctor to eliminate soy entirely, and I had a hard time getting enough protein. Plus pork is delicious. :happy:

You can get nearly all of the minerals and vitamins in meat from vegetarian sources: leafy greens, soy, flax, beans, quinoa, oats, nuts, whey, etc. There is no shortage of recipes out there and there is more access to unique and non-mainstream foods than there was even 10 years ago. I would caution against falling into a "pasta trap" though; the only overweight vegetarians I know are those who eat a lot of refined carbs.

Have you thought about starting by just cutting out red meat? You can have a significant positive impact on your cholesterol, saturated fat intake, and on the environment just with that one switch.

As far as not wanting to give up dairy, I say labels be damned, eat what makes you feel good! If you want to eliminate meat but eat eggs, cut out fish and meat and eat poultry, cut out all animal products except free range cage free & organic, do it. Call it being an "ADJ-etarian."
  • Tracey1147
    Tracey1147 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and have been for about 14 years now. Although I am one of the unhealthy vegetarians that everyone is warning you about. I don’t like vegetables or fruit and live pretty much on carbs and sugar. I have been trying to eat a better lately but finding it very difficult with time and being fussy.
  • ajd8663
    ajd8663 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone. My reason for trying it was first as an experiment. I work for the American Cancer Society and in my work came across some studies that showed that a vegetarian diet led to a reduced risk of certain types of cancers (if I can find them again, I will post them). So my thought was that if I could keep up with protein levels and drop the risk of future health issues of that nature, it may be worth it to make the change. I'm not a huge pasta fan, so I'm not worried about relying on that. I get my grains from oats and quinoa. As for cutting out red meat to start, I have done that. The only meat I've been consistently having is chicken, turkey, and fish. I guess I was just curious as to how the continued change could benefit, knowing that I wouldn't being doing it entirely for ethical reasons.

This change is not something I want to jump in to too quickly. So I appreciate the feedback and welcome any more from those in favor, and those opposed to the lifestyle.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've recently switched to a vegetarian diet and I feel great!
    I don't eat dairy as I'm lactose intolerant and I only eat eggs once or twice a week.
    Oh and I always go over protein even without meat and dairy :) I eat tofu, seitan and legumes and I take a multivitamin supplement everyday.
    I haven't noticed bad effects from this change, I'm always full of energy and in a good mood :)
  • jeanine47
    Options
    I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for about 5 years now, and it's amazing! I really think it's just a myth that a meat-free diet leads to any sort nutritional deficiencies. I've tried the vegan thing before, but that's a little more difficult because I eat a lot of Greek yogurt (and soy yogurt is just bad). I will eat eggs from time to time, but I try not to because of the cholesterol. I tend to eat tons of spinach, and I'll snack on things like edamame, or celery and hummus. Anyways, good luck on your switch! I remember when I first started I could immediately feel it-my body just felt so clean and I had so much more energy than ever before. I've also had strangers ask me before if I was vegetarian saying "I could tell because your skin is so clear." Haha, that's just an added benefit I guess.
  • catattack13
    catattack13 Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and super healthy. like... Batman-levels of health. feel free to peek at my diary to see the delicious/non-meaty things I nom on.
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am a gluten free vegan (no animal products what so ever) and I do not have issues with nutritional deficiencies. The key is to eat a whole food diet. Eliminate as much processed foods as possible and eat close to the earth. Fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, nuts, legumes and lentils. The fact that you are still going to eat eggs and dairy will make it a piece of cake for you. Find some awesome recipes to try out and you will be on your way.

Namaste,

Tanya
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that the topic reminded me of that Scott Pilgrim movie... lol.

Anyway, good luck with the diet!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone. My reason for trying it was first as an experiment. I work for the American Cancer Society and in my work came across some studies that showed that a vegetarian diet led to a reduced risk of certain types of cancers (if I can find them again, I will post them). So my thought was that if I could keep up with protein levels and drop the risk of future health issues of that nature, it may be worth it to make the change. I'm not a huge pasta fan, so I'm not worried about relying on that. I get my grains from oats and quinoa. As for cutting out red meat to start, I have done that. The only meat I've been consistently having is chicken, turkey, and fish. I guess I was just curious as to how the continued change could benefit, knowing that I wouldn't being doing it entirely for ethical reasons.

This change is not something I want to jump in to too quickly. So I appreciate the feedback and welcome any more from those in favor, and those opposed to the lifestyle.
    I don't know if those are the right reasons. Cancer is insidious. Lets say you get cancer would you then conclude it was from reducing your red meat intake, or whatever. .........I'm at that age where people start getting cancers more regularily. My best friends wife, vegan, holistic medicine practioner, diet last year of cancer and my wifes lifelong friend, who is also a person that is a vegetarian, teaches yoga just found out she has cancer........this has no corrolation whatsoever, but what could they have done to dietary wise to reduce their chances of cancer.

I just want to add that I don't eat much red meat at all and when it is its lamb from a local farmer I know that practices responsible farming and supplies some of the best restaurants as well, so I know it's decent lamb. My point is that i'm not supporting a non vegetarian lifestyle, because i know it can be a healthy lifestyle but just want to say that almost all studies that show the correlation of red meat to some cancers have been mostly epidemiological studies where the more red meat consumed the more overweight, sedentary, diabetes, lipid dysfunction etc that demograhpic is....basically is it the red meat or overeating, lack of exercise etc. Studies are funny that way. One fairly controlled study that come to mind was one where Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian came out on top and where the vegan diet was far worse and not much better than the occation meat eaters and not far behind the large meat eaters. Also I believe terre is evidence that shows the very low cholesterol levels make that demographic far more susceptable to cancer, suicide, and other physcological dysfunction........I guess my point is, it's basically a crap shoot.

What's really interesting is the Kitevans from PNG an Island in the pacific where therre is no heart disease, cancer, no old age dementia or any other diseases at all. They eat a diet that's high in tubers, vegetables, coconuts and fish.....strange thing, they all pretty much smoke like chimneys.
  • nutrientnatalie
    Options
    Hi! I've been a vegetarian and a vegan, and I'm currently a vegetarian. I don't drink plain milk and I don't eat plain eggs, but I eat things like Greek yogurt and stuff. I've felt so much better without eating meat, and I haven't had issues with nutrition except sometimes I don't have enough iron. But that's it! I highly recommend it. Watch Earthlings or Behind Glass Walls, and you'll see why I became a vegetarian.