Confused! Am I good with 1200 cal/day & getting the starvati

Options
2»

Replies

• Mariad1964
    Options
    Whatever you do your net should never go below 1200.
  • juliexiuu
    juliexiuu Posts: 118
    Options
    You should be eating back your exercise calories!
  • ems1583
    ems1583 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Coz I'm kinda scared to overeat and gain again lbs, its the worst feeling now for me. I want to lose weight fast that's why I'm setting my goals kinda high. Tomorrow is my weigh in day, I'm excited! Is it really dangerous to be less than 1200? I take protein shake 2x/day and lots of fruits. I don't like vegetables. At work today, I kinda felt tired and really exhausted but it went away. I don't know if its because of that, its Thursday anyway, almost end of work week.

Find a way to like veggies or get a veggie supplement. Fruit is great....but in moderation like everything else.....very high in sugar.....

Protein shakes are great but try nuts or avacado as a snack to give you the good fats and calories. Try some high protein foods instead of skakes....shakes are great but they are not real food!

Hard Boiled Eggs are a great snack

Greek Yogurt or yogurt and cottage cheese are also great things. Mix your fruit into some cottage cheese......

I did that, hard boiled eggs and the greek yogurt. Veggies, I'm gonna try to figure it out how to do it. I thought you can get the right nutrients with protein shake as they can be meal replacement also. I'll see tom how many lbs did I lose (keeping fingers crossed) and then I might continue or add some.

Thanks all, you're all amazing! :)
  • juliexiuu
    juliexiuu Posts: 118
    Options
    You should be eating back your exercise calories!

Also, try not to get obsessed with the number on the scale! You want results that will last and depriving yourself will not get you there! :)
  • ems1583
    Options
    Really the only people who should be losing 2 pounds a week are at a higher weight than you appear to be. Your ticker shows you are only trying to lose 13 total so really 1/2 to 1 pound a week is probably safer and much easier to follow. You are hungry for a reason, you need more food.

I agree with this. I am bigger than you, I started at 202, so that could be why I lost a lot each week?
    You only having so little to lose maybe you could up your calories?

I kinda want to lose weight fast but I have no idea yet on how to maintain it. That has been a problem with me. I will lose and then gain. I used to think that when you starve yourself and your body has no food or cal to burn then thats the time that it will burn your fats lol
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    You have to change your eating in a way you can maintain. Obviously you cannot starve yourself forever.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Really the only people who should be losing 2 pounds a week are at a higher weight than you appear to be. Your ticker shows you are only trying to lose 13 total so really 1/2 to 1 pound a week is probably safer and much easier to follow. You are hungry for a reason, you need more food.

I agree with this. I am bigger than you, I started at 202, so that could be why I lost a lot each week?
    You only having so little to lose maybe you could up your calories?

I kinda want to lose weight fast but I have no idea yet on how to maintain it. That has been a problem with me. I will lose and then gain. I used to think that when you starve yourself and your body has no food or cal to burn then thats the time that it will burn your fats lol

Eating habits like this are why you lose and regain. Instead of trying for super-fast results, set it for something slower. .5 lbs/week would be ideal. Yes, it'll take longer. Then when you get there, set MFP to maintain. Because you will have been eating close to it already (only 250 less) it won't be a drastic jump and you shouldn't see a sizeable weight gain then.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    This has to be a lifestyle change, and being hungry for the rest of your life is no way to be. You'll end up being the 90% or whatever it is that will gain it back...and then some because your metabolism is shot. Eat more. It will take a longer amount of time, but you will be stronger/happier/still losing the weight/ and not losing muscle.

I'd check out (been saying this a lot lately) fat2fit radio. Google it, and use their BMR tools. Very helpful. Their free podcast is fantastic too!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    OP, with the amount you have to lose your goal should be 0.5lbs/week, which would give you much more than 1200 cals/day. losing too fast when you don't have a lot to lose will lead to the loss of a large % of lean muscle mass, not just fat.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options

I did that, hard boiled eggs and the greek yogurt. Veggies, I'm gonna try to figure it out how to do it. I thought you can get the right nutrients with protein shake as they can be meal replacement also. I'll see tom how many lbs did I lose (keeping fingers crossed) and then I might continue or add some.

Thanks all, you're all amazing! :)

Remember, it isn't JUST about losing pounds. Don't lose sight of the ultimate goal, which is to lead a healthier life. If you starve your body of the nutrients it needs then yes, of course, you will lose weight, but in the end you are harming yourself. You risk slowing down metabolism as well degrading the quality of your skin, hair, nails, bones etc. from lack of proper nutrition - think what someone from a 3rd world country looks like because they are ACTUALLY starving, your result won't be near as extreme, but is subject to the same idea.

In the end you'll be a thinner, but flabby, weaker version of yourself.

Eat to fuel your body, incorporate strength training as well as high intensity cardio and the weight will come off. It honestly will and in the end you'll be trim, fit and looking fabulous.

ETA: 1/2 lb a week is all you should aim to lose
  • Jtttusher
    Jtttusher Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat.....a pound is a pound! But.....one pound of muscle takes up less space than one pound of fat.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat.....a pound is a pound! But.....one pound of muscle takes up less space than one pound of fat.

when did anyone say that 1lb of muscle weighs more than 1 lb of fat. When someone says "muscle weighs more then fat" they are implying by volume muscle weighs more then fat, since volume is implied there is no reason to state it.
  • nutrientnatalie
    Options
    You should figure out your BMR. Mine for example is 1,978, but when you subtract 500 (which is what you do if you're trying to lose weight, so if I wanted to maintain my weight I could eat 2,000 a day) then I'm at 1,978. So you should figure out your BMR first, you then have to multiply your BMR by the Harris-Benedict equation (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called) with how active you are. You could be putting yourself in starvation mode by eating 1,200 and that's not even counting the exercise you're doing! Like for me, I eat 1,450 a day just to keep my body running, but if I work out and burn 500 then my net would be less than 1,000, so I'd need to eat 1,950 instead for the day. Good luck!
  • ems1583
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies, really appreciate it! :)

I weighed in today, I only lost 1.6 lbs..happy but not that much coz I "starved" myself to maintain 1200 cal/day (lesser at times when I exercise coz I dont it eat back) to lose 2 lbs/week but I didn't. And this week I tried to do my exercise everyday. Last week was much better 1380/day & every other day exercise and I lost 4 lbs. For the past 6 days I was really starving. I thought it would pay off but it didn't :(

I'm gonna up my cal (right now I'm eating tortillas with cheese dip lol) I set it for 1 lb/week its giving me 1480 cal/day, if 1.5 lbs/week its 1230, still low. I don't know the BMR thing but I'm gonna check it.

So do I really have to eat back my exercise calories? I'm planning to do Insanity starting Monday.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Here's one of my old posts from a similar topic:

OK. I'm gonna give this a shot. I am an avid lifelong athlete. I have never been overweight, however, I used to eat too few calories (without knowing it), and a couple years ago, I actually GAINED weight bc of having slowed my metabolism to the point that every little extra treat I ate caused a weight gain, even though overall my calories were too low. THIS DOES HAPPEN.

It is also the reason so many fat people stay fat. They restrict their calories so low, slow their metabolisms, binge (even a little), gain weight, restrict more . . . . and so on and so on. But they are still fat.

It is also the reason most people can't lose that last 10-20 lbs. For real.

1. MFP has a deficit built in. Let's say you're trying to lose 1 lb/ week. That is a 500/day deficit from your BMR (the amount of calories your body needs to complete basic functions.

2. You exercise and burn 500 calories. Now you are at a 1000 deficit. If you eat back those 500 exercise calories, you refuel your body and you still have a 500 deficit for that 1 lb loss. If you DON'T eat back those calories, you have too little fuel. This is bad. This is too much of a deficit for basic functions. If you do this for a long time, you will STOP LOSING WEIGHT. Why? bc your metabolism will slow down -- it's like a brownout--not quite enough electricity to make the whole city (your body) run, so it has to slow down some things. You will probably start being tired a lot, your skin and hair might start to look worse, and you might even gain weight. But you might NOT be hungry -- your body is getting used to fewer calories. That's bad.

That's when you start to gain weight. Let's say you're running along, eating 1200 calories a day, and exercising 400 calories a day, so net is 800. You're losing, you think this is great. You keep doing it, but after a while you stop losing. hmmmmm. One weekend you go out to a special event and have a slice of pizza and a beer. 1 slice of pizza and 1 beer. So you ate maybe 2000 calories that day and exercised off 400, so net 1600. BOOM! You gain 3 lbs! What?!

Next, you freak out and restrict yourself down to 1000 calories a day and work out extra hard, burning 500 calories. Great, netting 500 now. You don't lose any weight, but you sure feel tired. Better get some red bull.

Are you getting the picture?

EDIT: When you work out, you need fuel. Food is fuel. If you don't eat back those exercise calories, you will not only have a big calorie deficit, you will have an ENERGY deficit. Remember, the calorie deficit for weight loss is built in when you use MFP. Exercising basically earns you more calories because you must refuel.
    --

There are many people who will tell you not to eat exercise calories. Before you take their advice, you might want to see whether they are at goal, have EVER been at goal, or have ever been able to maintain at goal. If anyone says to you 'THE LAST TIME I LOST WEIGHT", just stop listening right there.

Ask some athletes whether or not they replenish their bodies with food equal to the calories they burn. Ask people who are fit and have achieved and maintained a healthy weight for some years. Don't ask people who count walking across a parking lot as exercise.

Here's an interesting case study about how to stay fat while consuming only 700 calories a day. Take a moment, you'll be glad you did:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

blessings.
  • whoafitspo
    whoafitspo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So do I really have to eat back my exercise calories? I'm planning to do Insanity starting Monday.

If you're doing Insanity, definitely. You should eat at least some of your exercise calories.

It's impossible to lose 2lbs/week in a healthy manner at your weight. And if you do, you're most likely losing muscle-- and you want to be losing fat.

You need food to FUEL YOUR BODY, especially if you're exercising regularly. Your BMR is the amount of calories you'd burn IF YOU'RE IN A COMA-- so, really, you should eat even more.

You have to be patient, and you have to be realistic. Like others have said, if you don't eat your BMR (and if you eat below 1200), yeah you can lose weight. But it'll eventually stagnate. And the weight loss will probably be muscle, so it's in a sense counterproductive.