How to break through a plateau?

Options
So I'm not exactly new to MFP. I've been here since January. I started out at 402 pounds and have lost 33. I was having great success up until about a month ago when I lost a dear friend to cancer. At that point I told myself that my new lifestyle wasn't going to take the back burner BUT it wasn't going to be my primary focus everyday. I knew I had to give myself time to heal and allow time to support some of the others who had lost him as well. Now that we're all ready to move one, I've come back to focusing a lot of time and energy into my lifestyle. (Not just a 'diet'.)

I went to the doctor's office this past Monday for a routine checkup and learned that I had lost three pounds over the past month. I was happy with this because, honestly, I had expected to have gained up to five pounds. I had been focusing on not gaining a lot of weight, but not doing much to lose any more. I have never in my life been able to lose weight successfully or even just stay in one place. I have always gained weight. So after taking control, I have been thrilled to lose the thirty-three pounds and equally excited to maintain for this past month.

Now... down to why I'm making this post. This past week I have decided to change my weekly weigh-in from Monday to Friday for convenience. Monday I was at 369. Today (Friday) I'm at 372. I have been sticking to my calories this week and even found it in me to exercise a little. (It's a long road ahead for me, I AM trying to get more exercise in. It's hard to change old habits.) I'm almost positive that this is from fluid retention. So, my questions to all of you are: How do you pick up and keep going after a plateau? Do you have suggestions for cutting down sodium? Are there other factors in fluid retention that I don't know about?

Please feel free to look through my diary. Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    ANYTHING can happen during a week. A one week weight gain or no loss at all isn't a plateau so I wouldn't worry too much! If you've stalled out for weeks then you'll want to shake things up a bit. Play with eating a little less or a little more and do some different workouts. Our weight fluctuates on a daily and even hourly basis so if you're weighing yourself more than once a week you may just end up getting frustrated! :)
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It takes about a month or two to diagnose a plateau. I would keep doing what you're doing and forget about it. There are SOOO many factors.... As a woman... your cycles will cause your weight to fluctuate. Time of day will make a difference in your weight. No two scales will tell you the same weight. I wouldn't worry about a plateau unless your weight doesn't change for a couple months.

Dont worry about the "noise". Your weight will go up and down. Worry about the long trend. If you keep it up and have faith, the results will come! it takes time!
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    Hey girl, I honestly think you are not eating enough. I eat 1800 cals a day and you eat far less than me. I think you need to up the calories. I think you will be happy that you did. hugs.
  • nutrientnatalie
    Options
    Hi there! It usually takes longer to go through a plateau, but first of all I'm sorry about your loss.
    Sometimes it's fluid retention, and in that case you need to drink more water as weird as that sounds, because the less water you drink the more your body "clings" to it and it can cause water weight. So drink a ton of water. Also, figure out your BMR and then using the Harris-Benedict equation depending on your level of activity, subtract about 600. You could not be eating enough. Also, it depends on what time of the day you're weighing. If you still have food in your intestines that you haven't gotten rid of yet, or you have clothes on or your hair is wet or anything like that, it can happen. Don't focus too much on the scale, I'd recommend measuring yourself because that's really the only "accurate" representation on your weight loss. I wish you the best of luck in your journey, and keep it up! You'll get there!
  • Brianabomb
    Brianabomb Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Man, I'm glad to have read this post. I have been a little bummed for the last 2 wks thinking I've hit a plateau. I started this the last week of Jan and have lost 16 lbs (from 211 to 195). For the last 2 weeks, I've stayed the same (at 195). I walk at least 3 times a week about 3 miles at least and have started doing the 30DS. I've changed my eating habbits and like I said, It was going great until last Monday.

I'm glad to know I cant really think its a plateau unless it stays the same for at least a month although again, it is a bit of a bummer when I was doing so good.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Man, I'm glad to have read this post. I have been a little bummed for the last 2 wks thinking I've hit a plateau. I started this the last week of Jan and have lost 16 lbs (from 211 to 195). For the last 2 weeks, I've stayed the same (at 195). I walk at least 3 times a week about 3 miles at least and have started doing the 30DS. I've changed my eating habbits and like I said, It was going great until last Monday.

I'm glad to know I cant really think its a plateau unless it stays the same for at least a month although again, it is a bit of a bummer when I was doing so good.

Edit - "You ARE doing good."

When you work at a job are you proud of your work or the money you make doing it?

Translate that to volunteer work? Should you not be proud of it because you dont make money?

Be proud of the journey and forget about the results. They will come inadvertently :).
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You aren't plateauing. Fluid retention will drop and you will continue losing weight. Plateaus are a very real concern but it is not one for you at this stage (you still have a lot to lose).