Need some help from the Veggie people

Options
grimm1974
grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
Okay. So, I have never gone one single day without eating meat. I have rarely done a single meal without it. Since I'm nearing the halfway point of my weight loss, I want to mix things up and challenge myself for a week. So, I'm going to have a complete week without meat. So in addition to my meat-eating habits, I have the issue that I rarely eat veggies. Since I do the cooking in the house, I really do not have many good recipes. I need some good non-meat recipes for someone who has generally eaten meat for every meal. I cannot say I've tried many different veggies, but I'm open to trying more. I'm also not trying to cut out dairy and eggs of this week.

To give some ideas of what non-meats I do know I like:
Squashes (pretty much all of them I love)
Potatoes (sweet and otherwise)
Mushrooms (huge fan)
Zucchini
Spinach (I don't care for canned, but like fresh well enough)
I'm good with most fruits I can think of

That is pretty much it. There are a lot of veggies I've tried and not liked, but in some cases I believe it is just how they were prepared. Such as carrots, I don't like them raw but I've been ok with them prepared other ways.

So I'm looking for some good recipes fill a week. Here is some more info that is important for these recipes:

Breakfast: I prefer something quick that can be eaten on the run. I have a long commute. Otherwise, something that can be made the night before.

Lunch: Something that can be made the night before. I work in an office, so I have a fridge, microwave, and toaster at my disposal.

Dinner: No real restrictions here. I have a large family with 4 kids. the kids are pretty good about trying new things.

My workout times are usually after dinner. I also do some exercise during my lunch hour. I work a desk job, so I'm not really on the move a lot otherwise.

Any good recipes would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I cook pretty exclusively veg, although I eat fish and occasionally.. I catalog recipes here: http://frshforce.wordpress.com/

Almost everything is low cal and healthy, and I do not eat processed foods (98% of the time). I do a lot of make ahead and stuff that can be taken as leftover to work for lunch.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Grimm - Might suggest that you are going to send your family into shock over no meat for a week. Change comes hard especially to kids and possibly for you in having to cook that way for a whole week. How about some smaller goals? Try meat free for 2 days a week or even just dinners. My point is to start off small so the change is not that noticable to the family.
    I guess my other question is why you want to exclude meat from your diet? That excludes alot of your daily protein, how do you plan to get that in? Is this choice the best to address the history of heart disease and pre-diabetes in your life? I would encourage you to read up on the American Diabetes Association website and do some more research. I get the wanting to do things in a healthier way per some of your last journal entries, maybe just start off on eliminating fast food (make a sandwich for lunch instead). Add in a fresh salad for your family at dinner time, put in it what you all like. Or set a goal to cook every meal at home for a week. I will PM you some other suggestions for some easy recipes but for now maybe try some of this and do some more research. Feel free to reach out anytime!!
  • sums_net
    sums_net Posts: 24
    Options
    Grimm, here are some suggestions... Am sure kids will love it too..
    Quesadillas --> add any veggies in it (mushrooms, corns, canned beans, add some cheese) and you are good to go.

Veggie Pasta - Any kind of pasta with sauteed veggies such as spinach, asperagus, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots. Veggies that you haven't tried, just cut them into smaller chunks and start using in smaller quantity (like carrots, do a matchstick cut )

Couscous --> have you tried pearl couscous... They are so tasty. Add some sauteed veggies on the side or to it and you are good to go. You can prepare cold couscous salad with fresh veggies. (bell peppar, spinach, cherry tomatoes, green onions)

Try Soy meat.. if you have Trader Joe's they have soy meat... I use them in Veggie Chilli. I have this recipe in my blog (sumeesculinary.blogspot.com) You won't miss meat with this substitute.

Boca burgers -> with potato, breadcrumbs, cooked corn, bell pepper, mushrooms, Edamame( soy beans), canned beans. (well, u get the idea).. Potato and bread crumbs are basically used for binding.. Grill them up.

See if you like your veggies steamed, baked, grilled, sauteed... You will eventually start loving them..
    Good luck to all the new adventure..
  • grimm1974
    Options
    @babs I get all of that and I most definitely will research it. If I do it, I will plan the weeks meal in advance and ask for opinions on it. As far as my kids go, they could easily do without meat for a few days. I'm not sure how it happened but I ended up with kids who choose broccoli over french fries. As with all my lifestyle changes lately, I take it all one day at a time. If I feel bad, then I won't continue it. I do keep an eye on my sugar levels. I am happy to say they are now well into healthy limits after dropping the first 30lbs. I have no long term goal to not eat meat. I just like these types of challenges. I will likely wait a couple of weeks because I want to get a few weeks of c25k in first. Maybe on my off day for the program I will do one no meat day as a test of my energy/mood.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    We are not veggie - but one meal my kids absolutely love is spaghetti squash (cut in half, brush with olive oil and bake for about 45 minutes) with a tomato based sauce. I usually add squash, zuchini, peppers (all colors), onion, mushroom, garlic to the sauce. It is very tasty and filling.
  • macnikki72
    Options
    1 jar light maranara sauce
    1 bag part skim mozzerella cheese shredded
    1 bag frozen cheese ravioli

Layer sauce then ravioli, sauce, ravioli.
    top with cheese
    Bake in oven 30-40 min. or until done.

*Pair with a salad or other vegetable

Kids Love It..
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    We are not veggie - but one meal my kids absolutely love is spaghetti squash (cut in half, brush with olive oil and bake for about 45 minutes) with a tomato based sauce. I usually add squash, zuchini, peppers (all colors), onion, mushroom, garlic to the sauce. It is very tasty and filling.

I really want to make this. I'm not a squash fan but might be ok with a tomato sauce on it. I'm willing to try it though, just have to find the squash.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

I really want to make this. I'm not a squash fan but might be ok with a tomato sauce on it. I'm willing to try it though, just have to find the squash.

I find it doesn't taste quite like other squash. It has a buttery flavor and I like it with still a little crunch. If you can find it, I would recommend trying it.
  • SkyMusic
    SkyMusic Posts: 43
    Options
    As a vegetarian, here is what I basically eat all the time.

Breakfasts:
    - Piece of whole wheat bread with almond butter and banana
    - Fruit salad (whatever is in my fridge)
    - Tofu, spinach, one egg, nuts, and broccoli scrambled in light oil or sauce
    - Whole wheat pancake with strawberries, bananas, and peaches
    - Kashi cereals

Lunches:
    - Whole wheat wrap with hummus and beans
    - Salad (lettuce, olives, broccoli, cauliflower, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, tomatoes, bell peppers)
    - Whole wheat wrap with brown rice, black beans, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, and lettuce

Dinners:
    - Quinoa with vegetables or a salad (quinoa is delicious, low cals and high protein - put nuts and tofu on top!)
    - Spaghetti squash - tastes just like real pasta
    - Veggie pasta - whole wheat, gluten free noodles with broccoli, nuts, carrots, peas, and olives
    - Stir fried veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, bell peppers, onions, corn, water chestnuts, tofu)

Also, buy fresh fruits! Even if they start go bad, you can make stuff out of them! When my bananas turn brown, I make banana nut muffins and then I bring them to school or work and everyone is happy!
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian chili. I start with onions and garlic, add it shredded carrots and zucchini (they cook down so much, you'll hardly even notice them), 3-4 cans of beans, some frozen corn, a large can of crushed or diced tomatoes, and lots of chili powder and paprika, and some oregano. Simmer for at least an hour.

If you like thai or indian food, meatless curries are great. Look around for recipes online, but especially use this one: http://www.cbc.ca/bestrecipes/2010/09/squash-and-chickpea-curry.html

Omelettes or fritatas or other egg dishes are a good way to still get lots of protein without adding meat.

For breakfast, try maybe greek yogurt or cottage cheese? You can mix it up with fruit or nuts or what have you the night before in a container and then just grab it on your way out. When you have more time in the morning, try these pancakes: 1/3C. oats, 1/3C. cottage cheese, 1/8 tsp. baking soda, 1 WHOLE egg + 1 egg white, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and a dash of vanilla. Use a blender (in my case, a magic bullet!) to blend it so it's smooth, and then cook like normal pancakes. This is a recipe for one, so you'd have to multiply it all for your family, but they're good, especially with some saucy berries or a warm apple cinnamon topping. =)
  • ncbrowneyes97
    ncbrowneyes97 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste. com has lots of recipes that do not contain meat that I love- I am not a huge meat eater and my husband is a meat and potatoes guy and a lot of the things I cook he says he doesn't even miss the meat- so good luck!!
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Going veg, even temporarily, is hard, so first things first, don't kid yourself about how tough it will be. You can definitely do it, but going into it with a realistic mindset will help. You will miss meat! It is ok. You will be okay without it, too.

Keep it simple, and just try to eat things you are used to eating but without meat. Like spaghetti but without meatballs. Lasagna without ground beef (I like to layer zucchini or spinach instead with lots of fresh basil). Baked potatoes without bacon bits. Salads without grilled chicken. Soups with carrots and peas a wild rice but no turkey.

Personally, I think most meat substitutes (like veggie cheese or veggie meats) are poor substitutes. You can get used to them, or decided they taste good, but they really don't taste like meat. Plus they are LOADED with salt and chemicals to try to get them to mimic meat. Just stick to real food.

I find that making my breakfast and lunch ahead, I don't even think about them and it isn't a big deal. Smoothies and homemade breakfast bars can keep in the fridge all week long and, if you add enough protein, can be really filling.

For a breakfast bar, I would use this recipe matrix, it has a lot of options so you can just choose the things that fit your palate: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemade-energy-bar-recipe/ (Me and my kids like a combo of chickpeas, almond butter, bananas or applesauce, cinnamon and chocolate chips)

For smoothies, again, keep it simple: I usually do a banana, a cup of frozen blueberries, a handful of kale, vegan protein powder, rice milk, and honey or agave nectar to sweeten it a little. You could experiment with it by adding hemp nuts or cashews, chia seeds, green powders like the ones from Amazing Grass, or goji berries for an extra super-food kick.

For dinners, I like to do buffet style because my kids are picky. Taco night includes black beans and brown rice and an array of veggies with salsa and corn tortillas. Spring roll night includes rice vermicelli, rice paper wraps, and again an array of veggies that we can stuff the rolls with. On pizza night, everyone gets a small crust and gets to load it up with whats on the counter, often leftovers from earlier buffet nights that week.

Soups are also super easy and can be made ahead or put in a crock pot so they are ready when you get home. Again, I keep it simple. A favorite is a can of kidney beans, a can of crushed tomatoes, a box of veggie stock, and a big handful of rice. Then I just throw in whatever other veggies I have laying around (frozen mixed veggies or potatoes, mushrooms, zucchini are all good) and a packet of seasoning (a chili mix is always good).

Hope this helps! Good for you for trying something new! Feel free to message me if you have questions :-)
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegitarian but I eat a lot of meat free meals.

Breakfast - oatmeal with fruit, toast with peanut butter, yogurt, omlette (not so portable), breakfast sandwich (eng muffin, cheese and an egg - crack in a cup and microwave)

Lunch - salad (put beans or a hard boiled egg on it for protein), PB&J, Soup (Vegetable Barley or anything with beans are super filling)

Dinner - Quesadillas, bean burritos/tacos/nachos, pasta with veggies in the sauce instead of meat, breakfast for dinner (I love making fried egg sandwiches for dinner), veggie pizza (not the healthiest but if you make whole wheat thin crust and watch the amount of cheese it is doable)

For lunch right now I'm actually just eating carrot sticks with a wedge of laughing cow light cheese, grape tomatoes, roasted garbanzo beans and strawberries. Vegitarian, approx 460 cals, and will keep me full for a long while! Good luck!
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    The possibilities are endless!!!! .....

Use whole portabella mushrooms for burgers. Marinade them in light italian dressing & just thrown them on the grill. put them on a multi-grain bun & top with whatever you'd put on a burger. Yum.

Sautee a whole bag of fresh spinach with garlic, artichokes, sundried tomatoes & then add some light cream cheese or laughing cow cheese wedges to make it creamy. Stuff a little into Arnold's Itallian Pita whoile grain bread pockets (100 calories) This is great for lunches at work, just reheat the filling & stuff the pita. It comes out to around 175 calories per serving, give or take depending on how you make it. And it's pretty filling. Serve it with a salad or another veggie side & it would be a good dinner too.

Make a veggie lasagna, use thin strips of zucchini or egg plant in place of the noodles. Just layer whatever veggies you want into it. I used brocolli, thin shreads of carrots, spinach, mushrooms. I used low fat cottage cheese & a little bit of skim mozzerella & a jar of marinara sauce. Turned out delicious & I even froze the leftovers for lunches at work. I entered the recipe into MFP & a large portion was 199 calories.

You can use spaghetti squash instead of ground meat for tacos. Just bake the squash, scrape it out with a fork & add taco seasoning or salsa, fahita sauce, whatever you want. Serve it on tacos or wrap it up in tortillas & make borritos. Serve it with your favorite toppings, cheese, guacamole, light sour cream, lettuce.

Spaghetti squash is a fantastic food, it can be served a million ways, just adding marinara sauce, maybe some mushrooms is delicious or sautee with garlis & herbs, maybe some fresh basil & cherry tomatoes, & a little parmesean.

I'm a squash & yam lover too. Butternut squash, acorn squash & yams, just bake, mash up & eat. No butter or anything, delicious just the way they are. And you can eat a ton with barely any calories.

If you really want to enjoy your veggies, try roasting them. Brussel Sprouts, brocolli, cauliflower, asparagus, carrots, basically any veggie you want - chop into rather large pieces, top with olive oil, or even just spray with Pam cooking spray, add garlic & whatever seasons you like, maybe Mrs. Dash, spread out on a foil lined cookie sheet, bake around 400 degrees until they're crisp/tender & toasty. Add a little parmesean cheese if you like. My absolute favorite way to prepare veggies.

I could go on forever, but that's probably enough for now!!! Hope this helps some!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I love Subway's Veggie Delite sandwich (or Falafel).

I get wheat bread with no cheese, lite mayo, and all the veggies I want!
  • grimm1974
    Options
    Skinnytaste. com has lots of recipes that do not contain meat that I love- I am not a huge meat eater and my husband is a meat and potatoes guy and a lot of the things I cook he says he doesn't even miss the meat- so good luck!!

Haha. That is pretty much my wife and I too. She is one of the reasons I'm trying this. I've subjected her to my food for the past 9 years, so I can give her a week of hers ;) . Of course, after I complete this week I'm going to have a BBQ. Maybe I'll cook a veggie or two though. heh.
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    Oh yeah, another personal favorite of mine is veggie pizza. I use a Boboli whole wheat pizza crust & spread some chopped garlic on the crust & then just add whatever I have around, sometimes I make this just to use up left over veggies or produce I dont want to let spoil. Then I cover it with low fat mozzerella, maybe some feta or goat cheese if I have it & bake. Usually comes out to under 200 calories. My usual toppings are spinach, roasted red peppers, basil, sliced tomatoes, red onions, artichokes, any left over veggies, like brocolli, asparagus, just be creative. I like to make mine 'white' by just using garlic, but you could use a red sauce too & add mushrooms, bannana peppers, onions....I think you get the picture!!!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Master this basic recipe;

saute chopped onions and garlic. Roast whatever veg you fancy by chopping them into small pieces, tossing with a tablesppon of oil, and baking for half an hour. Squash, carrots, aubergine, zucchini, mushrooms, fennel, celery, asparagus, leeks, red peppers, etc all work well. Then add drained canned tomatoes, herbs, pepper, and some concentrated veg stock.

This gives a base for all sorts of things. Use to make lasagne by layering with pasta and topping with cheese sauce. Add kidney beans and chilli for veg chilli, to serve with rice or a baked potato. Fill cannelloni tubes, top with cheese sauce and bake. Add haricot beans and bake, for homemade baked beans. Add butter beans, a pinch of saffron, and smoked paprika and you have a Spanish style dish. Add some pesto and you have a sauce for pasta, coouscoous or rice. Make the roasted chunks bigger and you have a vegetable casserole. And so on...

Invest in a steamer, for green vegetables especially.

Make friends with pulses, all beans and lentils are very versatile and good for you.

Lastly, stuffed veg are great - use a simple stuffing of breadcrumbs, herbs, garlic and lemon juice or an egg to bind, and fill mushrooms, scooped out aubergine, zucchini, small squash,red peppers, top with grated cheese and bake.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on!
  • cassietn
    cassietn Posts: 48
    Options
    bump
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    We eat these foods regularly:
    - pasta - marinara or with a faux alfredo sauce (no dairy here)
    - veggie burgers
    - taco salad (with beans/chili)
    - pancakes and eggs
    - curry
    - chili
    - soup