Soy Milk

Options
fishndad
fishndad Posts: 102 Member
Can anyone tell me the advantages of Soy milk? So many on here seem to use it, but I've never tried it & not sure what benefits of using it would be. I've looked at it, wondered what kind to buy, & ended up not getting any since there's different flavors & I have no idea what it might taste like. Can I get some feedback from some you please? Thanks

Replies

• sewslim266
    Options
    I use Soy milk because I am dairy intolerant and my husband prefers it as he has much less phlegm and less sore throats. We use the supermarket home brands of unsweetened and anyone coming to my house has it in tea and coffee and no-one has noticed
    (unless they just go away after and think I make terrible tea!! lol) Try a few brands but I suggest you start with these as if you like them it saves a lot of money. Good luck.
  • ebenso1
    ebenso1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use the store brand vanilla soy milk on my cereal. A few less calories than skim milk and more protein. I wasn't sure if I would like it but I do. I don't know that I would just drink a glass of it, but it's great on cereal.
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    We use it because of the health advantages and my concerns over hormones in cow's milk. We use the unsweetened kind. I buy light for me and regular for the family. Honestly, we haven't bought cow's milk in YEARS. When I get coffee out and it has cow's milk, I find that I really don't like the taste as much.
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of Almond Milk or Coconut Milk over Soy. Soy has also been known to raise estrogen levels in men. (You would have to drink more than 16oz a day from the studies I have seen).

Here is what I have been drinking:

http://almondbreeze.com/?navid=530&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=almond+milk+coconut&utm_campaign=AlmondBreeze

Vanilla Coconut Almond Unsweetened! No sugars and only 2 carbs!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about the health benefits - honestly don't think soy is very healthy at all.. but .. the reason most people use a non dairy alternative like soy, almond,coconut, hemp milks is because they can't handle dairy.
  • landay
    landay Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    We use it due to the hormones in cow's milk. We try to keep animal products to a reasonable level, and soy milk is an easy way to cut back. It has more calcium than cow's milk. You can also look up the health benefits of soy to see all that it offers to us. We buy the chocolate kind for our daughter, who insists on having "hot chocolate" every morning. We buy the vanilla kind for regular drinking, cooking, and cereal. We absolutely love it. I find that regular milk often makes me naseous if I have too much of it, but I have absolutely no problem with the soy. The ONLY thing that I will say about it is that it doesn't work well with all recipes. For example, pudding made with it will not set up. Other than that, we LOVE it!!!
  • Alexis14351
    Options
    I started using soy milk because I'm trying to increase my calcium intake and my body doesn't tolerate large quantities of milk. I also don't really like the amount of hormones, antibiotics, and other undesirable things in cow's milk, but that's just kind of a secondary issue. I like the vanilla soy milk and almond milk, I usually switch back and forth between the two. I haven't had the unsweetened in a long time, but I remember not being able to tell the difference if it was with something like cereal. I did not like it by itself, but I think that's personal preference.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    The benefits of soy is it's full of nutrients. There are other milks with nutrients, and ways to get the same nutrients without drinking the milk.

Since my friend and doctor figured out that her life long health problems may have been due to soy, I figured I'll post. Here are some of the links I've found, I recommend reading all of them.

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uIn2L90wA8&feature=player_embedded

reads:
    http://www.aquarianonline.com/Wellness/soy.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10763906?dopt=Abstract
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/09/18/soy-can-damage-your-health.aspx

There are also many books out there talking about the negative affects of soy...can't remember the popular one...I think it's called "The truth about soy" or something.

I'd also like to add there are many nutrients in soy that are wonderful, but it's added to so many of our foods these days (breads, muffins, bagels, drinks, sauces, meats, http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/consumer-centre/food-safety-tips/labelling-food-packaging-and-storage/soy/eng/1332437930120/1332437995901 etc) that I really don't think we need to drink it, too. Also, it's not all soy that causes cognitive and hormonal imbalances (which you'll get if you read the links and video).

Personally, I like unsweetened Almond, almond vanilla, and coconut milk. There's lots to try. So far I've tried oat, rice, soy, cow, goat, almond, and coconut. I'd also like to add that in Canada, they're not aloud to add additional hormones to the cows to produce milk.
  • Iamachocaholic
    Options
    Hi there ~

I opted to change from dairy milk to a milk alternative, not for health reasons, although it does have some nice benefits like more calcium and less calories than regular milk ... but because of the ethical reasons around dairy production, and the treatment of dairy cattle and calves. I won't post a link, but if you want to understand why I made my choice, simply Google "Calf Rescue at E6". The video link at the end of the rescue at E6 video is the reason I chose to stop drinking milk, and am moving towards a dairy free life.

Since making that decision, I've tried several brands and finally landed on two varieties that I really like ... Silk Light Chocolate Milk for drinking with meals and as a snack, and Blue Diamond Almond Milk Unsweetened for cooking. Coconut Milk was also a nice texture alternative, I just don't like the taste of coconut, so that was the reason I didn't buy another brand.

A suggestion to help alleviate some of the costs is to find a friend, family member, or co-worker that wants to also try a new brand, then you each buy a quart of a brand you each want to try ... you each get to taste two kinds, yet not break the bank.

Hope that helps!