Running in Sweatpants & Sweatshirt.

Options
I dont like wearing shorts.

Is running in sweatpants and a sweatshirt a good idea??

Are there benefits?
What are the negatives?

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Why not? It's still clothing. You may get really hot and sweaty but it's your choice.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't overheat you should be fine. I run in sweatpants
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Run in whatever you are comfortable in.
  • kati37
    kati37 Posts: 61
    Options
    Thats what I plan to wear!!! With a T-shirt under neath so I can take off the sweat shirt!! layer up its chili here at 5am!!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I see several disadvantages, particularly as the weather is warming up. Sweats are heavy, it may not seem like a lot, but an extra few pounds is that much more weight you are dragging around. As you sweat, they will absorb moisture and get wet and less comfortable, and heavier (although it is your own sweat, so it's not additional weight, just less comfortable). And I suspect you will overheat. Even in the winter, with temps in the 20s, once I get warmed up I get hot and sweaty and overheating is an issue if I have too many layers of clothes on.

You can find long pants and shirts make of non-cotton materials that will wick away your sweat and keep you cooler and drier. They also don't weigh as much.

Having said all that, a lot of it comes down to personal preference, so try something, see if you like it, and then adjust accordingly. I know people that swear you need sunglasses on sunny days while running, I hate wearing them while I run. Everyone has a different idea of what is the right temperature to switch from long pants and sleeves to short pants and sleeves. So, there are no universal rules that work for everyone.
  • stephapanini
    Options
    You'll sweat more, which could mean more weight loss. Just watch for signs of overheating and stay hydrated.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever you want to. As long as it's comfy and body parts aren't falling out of either piece, go for it. Wearing sweatpants to run in is better than sitting on the couch watching tv. GO FOR IT! :)
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Alot of people run in sweatpants and sweatshirts because its a bit chilly outside. I did when I was in cross country and Basic Training in the Air Force. And still do because of weather. Like others said as long as u don't overheat, and you can always tie the sweatshirt around ur waist when u get too hot.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Thanx everybody.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You'll sweat more, which could mean more weight loss. Just watch for signs of overheating and stay hydrated.

It's water weight. You put it right back on when you hydrate.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I see several disadvantages, particularly as the weather is warming up. Sweats are heavy, it may not seem like a lot, but an extra few pounds is that much more weight you are dragging around. As you sweat, they will absorb moisture and get wet and less comfortable, and heavier (although it is your own sweat, so it's not additional weight, just less comfortable). And I suspect you will overheat. Even in the winter, with temps in the 20s, once I get warmed up I get hot and sweaty and overheating is an issue if I have too many layers of clothes on.

You can find long pants and shirts make of non-cotton materials that will wick away your sweat and keep you cooler and drier. They also don't weigh as much.

Having said all that, a lot of it comes down to personal preference, so try something, see if you like it, and then adjust accordingly. I know people that swear you need sunglasses on sunny days while running, I hate wearing them while I run. Everyone has a different idea of what is the right temperature to switch from long pants and sleeves to short pants and sleeves. So, there are no universal rules that work for everyone.

I agree with this. Absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a sweatshirt and sweatpants, but you may find that uncomfortable or chafing if you sweat alot.
  • goddessang
    Options
    In general, 100% cotton anything in workout wear can lead to friction/blisters/discomfort. Standard issue sweats retain sweat, instead of helping it to evaporate. Adidas makes some capris that are a nice inbetween from a length perspective, but allows for good air-flow and sweat evaporation. Just make sure you get ones with a drawstring at the waist--some have them, and some don't--and that drawstring helps to bridge between sizes as you shrink. For tops, go with anything that is wicking--draw the sweat out to evaporate, so you lessen the chance of friction. If you are getting blisters on your feet, don't wear plain cotton socks, splurge on ridiculously priced running socks--they really do make a difference for preventing blisters on your feet as you increase distance. They are worth every penny.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Until lately and at cross country meets in high school I've ALWAYS ran in sweatpants. Sweatshirts were okay for the warm up but I found I got too hot and tired out too soon when I wore them for a long time.
    Also don't wear a brand new sweat outfit right before running....I had black fuzzies stuck ALL OVER my body when I did that lol. It looked like I needed a whole body wax!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I dont like wearing shorts.

Is running in sweatpants and a sweatshirt a good idea??

Are there benefits?
    What are the negatives?

I don't like running in shorts either, that's why I run in three-quarter length bottoms, they are not so hot to wear as full-length bottoms.
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I run in cotton and it is fine for me. I find technical fabrics smell weird. Men sometimes get chafing and bleeding nipples when they run in cotton shirts but women usually wear bras so don't really have to worry about that. Remember to dress as if it were a fair bit warmer than it actually is.