Eating Routine

Options
I've recently been getting into a routine with eating, but I have problems on days that I have to work.

My work schedule is fair, but it usually has me working from 4-11pm, leaving me no chance at the end of the night to eat because it's been said that it's bad to snack at night. I work at a pizza place, so it's not exactly an office where I can bring dinner to work and such and I don't get any breaks during my shift, and I refuse to eat at work because...Well, it's a pizza place. Not going to help me.

My question is: How do you balance days that you work with your eating routines? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any feedback! :D

Edit* - I'm sure someone has asked this before, but I couldn't find anything with the search function. =/

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    A) It's not bad to snack at night, just stay within your calorie goals

B) You can eat pizza on a diet and lose weight, shocking I know
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Why can't you bring your own food? I use to eat Burger King at McDonalds when I was a teen!
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You don't get breaks? Isn't that illegal?
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    A) It's not bad to snack at night, just stay within your calorie goals

B) You can eat pizza on a diet and lose weight, shocking I know

A) Eat when you get home.

B) Eat the pizza and log it.

It really is that simple :)
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I've recently been getting into a routine with eating, but I have problems on days that I have to work.

My work schedule is fair, but it usually has me working from 4-11pm, leaving me no chance at the end of the night to eat because it's been said that it's bad to snack at night. I work at a pizza place, so it's not exactly an office where I can bring dinner to work and such and I don't get any breaks during my shift, and I refuse to eat at work because...Well, it's a pizza place. Not going to help me.

My question is: How do you balance days that you work with your eating routines? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any feedback! :D

Edit* - I'm sure someone has asked this before, but I couldn't find anything with the search function. =/
    First off, I snack at night and even through my eating disorder I did then too, never made any difference.
    Secondly, why are you not allowed to bring dinner? Did your manager say that, are you assuming that or would you feel embarrassed for it? We all have to eat and it's important to fuel your body especially through this busy period.
    I work only tuesday-friday, a ten hour shift, but I get an hour for lunch and a fifteen minute break in the afternoon. I feel dizzy alot though so it's okay for me to constantly snack when I need to. As long as it's fruit or something, it's not a problem(I work at a nursery, we're teaching the children healthy eating). I would just take your dinner, honestly:)
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You don't get breaks? Isn't that illegal?
    I was wondering that too, I read up on that recently.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about eating after work even if it is late. As long as you're at a calorie deficit, you will be ok.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand the question- you have an eating routine that conflicts with your work schedule? How often do you work?

Your hours and job situation (no breaks, no food) sounds odd, but could you get away with snacks?

I wouldn't worry about eating afterward- obviously people who work night shift jobs and the like eat late, and as long as they are eating a meal and not "snacking" as you said, your body can't differentiate between the times you eat your calories. If you're hungry after work, just eat the meal you regularly would have. I would say to just adjust the timing of your "eating routine" to be compatible with when you work, if you've already established that it works for you.
  • wolf5090
    wolf5090 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @AC - Hmm, well I'll keep that in mind! I just want to try and eat more nutritious rather than having stuff like that, but I guess if I have to on those nights I can have a thin pizza or somethin'.

@Cutch - I'd bring my own food but we're not allowed to store our own belongings in the walk-in refrigerator . :C We used to be able to but our bosses got tired of employees having stuff in the way of things we needed. I think I'll try and talk to them about letting me bringing stuff because it's for my diet though, maybe they'll understand.

@Sherry - Yeah, I keep hearing that but the only people I see them give breaks to is people that have worked there that are under 16, and they don't really hire anyone under 16 anymore so pretty much I get there, work all day and most likely close at night. Sometimes if it's slow though they'll give us a few minutes to eat but if work needs to be done we have to get back to it.~
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    When I waited tables at my last restaurant (hopefully ever.), I didn't get breaks either. I would take protein bars, fruit, and little snacks to work, keep them in my apron, then inhale them randomly throughout the day, hiding on the back dock, pretend to take a "cigarette break" (which were the only breaks we got)

Yes not getting breaks is illegal.

But restaurants break OSHA laws constantly. They hire illegals, pay under minimum wage and fix the paperwork so it appears as if tips are making up the difference (which they don't always do), give out to-go cups to people drinking alcohol: it's illegal but common accepted practice.
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It does not matter what time you eat.
  • wolf5090
    Options
    Well, I suppose "Eating Routine" sounded more strict than I meant it to be. It's more like I just try to eat something small every 2-3 hours. I only work 3-4 days a week since I go to school at night, so depending on the week I have most nights figured out, but when I work I tend to have a good 6-7 hour gap where I haven't had anything other than just drinking a lot of water.

And yeah, Papaver, that's pretty much exactly how it is at my work. The only people who ever get breaks are the people who need a quick smoke. It actually gets on my nerves because my boss is a smoker and he'll take multiple smoke breaks while we stand inside doing everything..lol
  • apena_06
    apena_06 Posts: 50
    Options
    When I waited tables at my last restaurant (hopefully ever.), I didn't get breaks either. I would take protein bars, fruit, and little snacks to work, keep them in my apron, then inhale them randomly throughout the day, hiding on the back dock, pretend to take a "cigarette break" (which were the only breaks we got)

^^ This - if the smokers can take a break I don't see why you shouldn't be able to too. Just use yours to snack :drinker:
  • wolf5090
    Options
    Also, thanks for the replies everyone! I'm glad to see there is a general consensus about being able to eat at night.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Slice of thin crust veggie pizza?
    Salad? (Most pizza places I know around me DO sell garden salads as well as anitpasta salad...)
    Fruit? (There HAS to be fruit in that kitchen! Pizza places usually sell decadent fruit topped desserts, no?)

For dinner tonight, my husband and I are having veggie topped pizza on a thin whole wheat crust. The veggies are healthy, the crust is healthy, the tomato sauce is healthy, and I happen to believe that cheese is healthy. It is going to fit in my calorie allottment, and I will enjoy every bite. (I'd enjoy sausage more, but we choose to be meatless on Friday instead of Monday, because we like to pretend we don't follow trends. :laugh: Okay, actually it's a Catholic thing my husband never gave up... )

I have a LOT of weight to lose. This is going to take me YEARS, so I need to be able to fit in things I really like, such as pizza, and cheese, and red meat, etc, or I'm not going to make it.

I also agree with those who say not to worry about WHEN you eat, (unless, of course, you have noticed it is a problem for you, personally. We are all different. Some people are allergic to dairy, some to nuts, some to wheat, some to strawberries, so why wouldn't we all be slightly different as to whether or not times we eat effect us and our metabolism differently?) Choosing to have a light snack when you get home may be what is best for you, if it keeps you going.

Best wishes to you for your success!