Please Help

Options
Okay so I lost a good amount of weight before using this site, however I have had some back problems and gave up. Whats the point of dieting if you can't exercise right? I also have been real lazy. Anyway I got my labs drawn recently and found out that my thyroid is low which means my body is fighting against me not with me. I have a dr appointment coming up should I continue to try to lose weight or should I just give up and wait until my doctor gets me right?

Replies

• nikki4ever
    nikki4ever Posts: 116
    Options
    DONT GIVE UP! I lost weight without excercise (walking every now and then, but nothing MAJOR)..i do think its possible to lose weight by simply eating better...i believe that excercise DOES help the process, and excercise has so many benefits in the long run..but i dont think it should be an excuse as to not to start your weight loss journey, once you are permitted to start excercising, do it again and you will feel even better:)
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    From experience I would stay at a slight deficit b/c depending on how low your thyroid is you may gain weight if you continue to eat the way you did before especially if wasn't healthy. Try setting your goal at 0.5 pound a week and see what happens. Just don't be disappointed if you don't lose. Be happy if you don't gain. But whatever you do try to get in a pattern of eating the healthiest possible and choosing foods that support thyroid function.:flowerforyou:
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    any diet should be approved by your doctor first, especially if you have a health condition. Howerver, it never hurts to eat healthy and aware of what you eat....sooooo you are doing a great job. Stay motivated and good luck. You will find tons of motivation here!!:smooched: :smooched:
  • delliponti
    Options
    what makes you thing the doc cares about your weight, ? have they mentioned it before ? you know the answer . N:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Okay so I lost a good amount of weight before using this site, however I have had some back problems and gave up. Whats the point of dieting if you can't exercise right? I also have been real lazy. Anyway I got my labs drawn recently and found out that my thyroid is low which means my body is fighting against me not with me. I have a dr appointment coming up should I continue to try to lose weight or should I just give up and wait until my doctor gets me right?

Everyone has given you great advice. I'd just like to add that I have a thyroid problem too. I've been taking medication for years now. When I was first told about it, I thought it was the answer to my weight problems, and as soon as I started taking medication for it, I'd lose the weight that I wanted to. NOPE, didn't happen! It DID happen however, once I came to MFP and started "working with my numbers" each day, through moderation, better food choices, and getting some exercise.
    Hopefully, you'll be able to do the same! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Kristi82
    Kristi82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I find for myself loosing weight in 80% diet and 20% exercise. So don't give up!
  • nikki4ever
    nikki4ever Posts: 116
    Options
    I find for myself loosing weight in 80% diet and 20% exercise. So don't give up!

same for me!! good luck:)