Sweet & honey

Options
mandi2r
mandi2r Posts: 228 Member
One of my problems in the past with keeping weight off has been sugar.... I love everything sweet and sugar just does the job. I thought I couldn't drink my coffee or tea without it.
I also added it to my cereal like cheerios, but adding bananas instead make it bareable.
But I started drinking my coffee and tea with honey instead of the sugar. Is that any better or am I still in trouble?

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    There shouldn't be much difference in how your body reacts to honey in your tea when compared to sucrose. If you're using less honey than you would sugar to achieve the same level of satisfying sweetness, then you're looking at a reduction in calories and that's a good thing. If you're consuming the same number of calories worth of honey as you would with sugar, then there's no benefit. It shouldn't be any worse either.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,100 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally, I don't see where it makes a difference, except what MikeSEA said. . . your wallet will know the difference. Honey is much more expensive per serving.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Can you use Splenda or something?
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I love sugar in my coffee. I will not completely cut it out. But I slowly have cut it back substantially from how I used to drink my coffee. Calorie wise you can have less. I believe its always better to have unprocessed food than processed. But that does not mean you should have more. Because alot of honey is not good either. Just use moderation and measure it out.
  • TraceyR68
    TraceyR68 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You could try Agave nectar as well.

Agave makes a good substitute for sugar for a variety of reasons. Agave nectar is a real sugar, as opposed to an artificial or non-nutritive sweetener. It has properties similar to many sugars with one important exception: its glycemic index is significantly lower, so you don't get the sharp rises and falls in blood sugar.
  • AmandaK3
    AmandaK3 Posts: 80
    Options
    I love sugar in my coffee. I will not completely cut it out. But I slowly have cut it back substantially from how I used to drink my coffee. Calorie wise you can have less. I believe its always better to have unprocessed food than processed. But that does not mean you should have more. Because alot of honey is not good either. Just use moderation and measure it out.

100% agree. Plus honey is full of vitamins and minerals, it also has a lower GI, so your blood sugar doesn't spike as much as sugar.

Personally I find it sweeter than sugar, so I use less of it in my tea. But that's just a personal thing.
  • tiffpage
    tiffpage Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    honey has more nutritional qualities than sugar. I use stevia in my coffee but I use honey from time to time in yogurt or baking. It's good for you. I've also used sweetened almond milk in my coffee
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    Honey has other benefits besides just being a sweetener. A teaspoonful of local honey a day will help with pollen-related allergies...among others. A quick google search will return lots of benefits that honey provides. I'd much rather have the real thing in small quantities than artificial sweeteners.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Honey is just as bad as sugar in the way of carbs, but way more natural. It has a slightly different balance of sugars than table sugar has, but not a huge difference in how the body treats it. If you can, get it raw and get it local. The benefits of local raw honey are huge, and would be worth the sugar intake at that point. I try to only use local raw honey now, after learning about all the nasty stuff they do to the imported stuff.