Weighted Vest

Options
I have lost almost 40 pounds in the last few months. It is getting harder to get my heart rate up where I want it when doing some of my cardio and "aerobic/bodyweight/Kettlebell, etc" workouts I do. I have been seriously considering a weighted vest. I think thae extra weight when doing Burpees and body weight squats and lunges would be beneficial. I figured it would also up my calories burned, but my HRM would be calculating at true body weight, so I would be builing in a cushion everytime I worked out with it.

Any thoughts? Positives/negatives. Does or Has anybody used one?

Thanks!

Replies

• Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    Feeling like a loser! Bueller.......Bueller.......
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    I use a 25 pound backpack when I hike. I also think "cushion" for the calories. . . .wait. I don't log food or exercise any more......but I used to think "cushion" ...now I think - burns more.
  • Grandysl
    Options
    I have a ruck for walking if I want, I am thinking more during other exercises. doing a pushing with an extra 40 lbs will work me harder than without is my theory.
    I am just wondering if any folks have used them. Are they comfortable, was there a noticeable calorie difference, etc.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Understand. Your HRM will not record significant higher calorie burns unless you push a lot harder, or change your stats in the HRM to reflect a higher weight.

So if you weigh 210, and wear the 25 pound vest, you would need to raise the HRM stats to 235. Other wise it doesn't know. And HRMs are not meant to record calorie burns while doing lifting. They are designed to track calories burned during sustained aerobic activity.
  • Grandysl
    Options
    I am talking about aerobic activites such as hopping on the treadmill, walking, or even the works I do with a group a couple days a week which are about 50 minutes of exercises like they do on PX90, also Kettle bells, crazy ab workouts, bousu balls, etc. So it is both core and cardio.
    I am not really worried about the HRM registering more calories burned. I am thinking I will be burning more, but if I logg what the HRM says, then I have built in a cushion in case I go over or mis log and item.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I don't have a weighted vest; I think that would be great, but I do hold a kettlebell sometimes when I'm doing step aerobics.
  • dzmikki
    dzmikki Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have not used one, but would think it would accomplish what you are trying to do. I agree with the above post to change the weight in your HRM to achieve a more realistic calorie burn
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    ***BUMP*** I'd really like to know the answer to this one. Anyone?

P.S. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • Grandysl
    Options
    I have not used one, but would think it would accomplish what you are trying to do. I agree with the above post to change the weight in your HRM to achieve a more realistic calorie burn
    My thought is I "know" I am burning more, so if I only logg the HRM number and eat based off that, then there are going to calories burned I did not log, so I did not eat back, therfore the weight should drop quicker. Thats my thought.

I just hope to hear from so folks who have used one and can let me know if it is worth the investment or not.
  • BoxingAli
    BoxingAli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have not used one, but my husband has one. One day, he was walking/jogging in the nieghborhood (& just happened to be running by a church) and someone called the police on him and said someone was running away from the church w/ a bullet proof vest on. The policman that answered the call was in the area and followed my husband to our house and talked to him. He knew that it was a weight vest and just said he had to answer the call. Needless to say, my husband hasn't worn it very much since then...
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    If you're going to wear it for running you're just asking to be injured
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have not used one, but my husband has one. One day, he was walking/jogging in the nieghborhood (& just happened to be running by a church) and someone called the police on him and said someone was running away from the church w/ a bullet proof vest on. The policman that answered the call was in the area and followed my husband to our house and talked to him. He knew that it was a weight vest and just said he had to answer the call. Needless to say, my husband hasn't worn it very much since then...

Thats funny my next thought is so what if he was wearing a bullet proof vest, they are not illegal can get them all day long.
  • BoxingAli
    BoxingAli Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Thats funny my next thought is so what if he was wearing a bullet proof vest, they are not illegal can get them all day long.

I guess he looked 'suspicious' like he was doing something illegal.
  • The_Jurgen
    Options
    I used the Gold's Gym weight vest - 20 lb max. I did some of the P90X with it basically - Plyometrics X and Core Synergistics - though it gets in the way in a few ground-related exercises. But it comes off and on quickly. I also wore it while doing basic calisthenic workouts.

I started off at 8 lbs and upped the weight by 2lbs per week until I got to 20. I balanced the weight between front and back, left and right as much as possible. when in doubt, extra weight went on my back. I always balanced left and right.

I wasn't tracking calories or HRM well at that point. I was pre-MFP, but the fitness results were quite noticeable.

I didn't do much pure running with it - at most a lap or two and I took it slower and adjusted my stride to land more mid-foot.

I never got injured using it because of the slow build-up.
  • KRFinLeth
    KRFinLeth Posts: 22
    Options
    I have a 20 lb vest and go through spells of using it. I've used it when running on the treadmill and outside. Works well if you are going up and down stairs or hiking, especially hills or switchbacks. It has helped me increase my running speed. I don't use it when lifting weights, doing burpees, etc. Worried about how it affects my balance and consequently my form. Plus you can add weights without a vest and it can get pretty warm wearing it. Other runners know what it is and have come to talk to me but no one's reported me. As for the police having issues I did notice a squad car follow me once but he figured out what I was wearing and left me alone :)
  • KRFinLeth
    KRFinLeth Posts: 22
    Options
    Oh, and have never, ever sustained an injury because of it.
  • Grandysl
    Options
    I dont run anymore due to an ankle injury. I do appreciate the input. I was looking at getting a 40 lb vest to move back toward where I was when I started this adventure and everything seemed to be so much harder.

I am trying to decide if I go with the $80 vest a guy at work has from Wal-Mart that didnot lookmlike it adjusted too well and was kind of long, or go with the close to $200 one that looks almost like the body armor my brothers and sisters are wearing in the sand box.

The choices to be made!
  • Grandysl
    Options
    Bump
  • ny2298pdsgt
    ny2298pdsgt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I wear my weight vest for ruck marches in addition to my ruck/weighted backpack. I dont count the weight for logging my exercise, I just log the pace and time. Using the vest for lower body workouts i.e. squats, lunges, is a good idea as well. Just dont run with it, your (our) knees get beat up enough as it is in the service (I'm Army) that you dont need the added strain. I like perfer wearing the weight vest over my IOTV for things as it doesnt attract as much attention as the multi cam pattern (and then everyone whats to stop you to talk to you).

I usemine on a stair machine or stadium stairs for staying in shape as a firefighter.
  • Grandysl
    Options
    I wear my weight vest for ruck marches in addition to my ruck/weighted backpack. I dont count the weight for logging my exercise, I just log the pace and time. Using the vest for lower body workouts i.e. squats, lunges, is a good idea as well. Just dont run with it, your (our) knees get beat up enough as it is in the service (I'm Army) that you dont need the added strain. I like perfer wearing the weight vest over my IOTV for things as it doesnt attract as much attention as the multi cam pattern (and then everyone whats to stop you to talk to you).

I usemine on a stair machine or stadium stairs for staying in shape as a firefighter.

Thanks! I am Army too. Hurt my ankle and dont run anymore. Thanks for the input.