My feet go numb when working out

Options
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or knows why it happens, but while i am working out on my elliptical or on the treadmill at the gym my feet start to go numb. I bought shiny new Nike running shoes and they still kept going numb, so I bought gel inserts....still numb. It happens in both feet after about 10 minutes and I kinda just ignore it and push to the end of my work out but it is definitely putting a damper on moving up to the hour mark I have been trying to reach. I did 4 minutes yesterday and when I got off I couldn't actually stand I had to sit down and rub my feet till the pins and needles went away.
HELP! any advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Replies

• Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Your laces are too tight :wink:
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Shoes too small?
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    It could also be a circulation problem.

I usually have to 'tap my feet out' while working out to keep the blood flowing properly.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    the sneakers you wear when doing cardio should be a half size larger than the shoes you wear on a daily basis, and your laces should fit snugly without being to tight.
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too...no matter what shoes I wore, laces totally undone or not, it happened every time. REALLY annoying. Sorry I dont have any advice...maybe try without shoes and just wear socks if its your personal elliptical...they might frown on that at the gym:) I dont use the elliptical anymore. Good luck!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue... only on the elliptical machines. I stopped using the machines.
  • ddog6
    ddog6 Posts: 13
    Options
    It's actually normal for your feet to go numb while using an elliptical, forget where I read it but my feet go numb as well. It's because your feet are stationary and all your weight is on them so try to wiggle your toes/roll your feet sporadically and see if that helps.. it helped a little for me but didn't make it go completely away..
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem! My shoes were too small!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Mine use to go numb standing to long, was told when I found out I had Gestational Diabetes with my daughter, that it's a sign of diabetes, I still find them go numb sometimes and I don't have diabetes anymore, so not sure what's up with it.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My feet only start to go numb while on the elliptical. Glad I'm not the only one. My shoes aren't too small and the laces aren't tight. It's only that machine too. Strange.
  • mamnboston
    Options
    that happens to me when I am on a cardio machine too long, need to switch it up to increase the circulation, not sure why it happens, hang in there, ask your doctor?
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    This happens to me, too, no matter what shoes I wear. I also have to "tap my feet out" to get the blood flowing. I find it only happens when I am on the elliptical for more than 30 minutes, and mainly when I am going fast. When I am on for 20 minutes and increase the resistance, I don't have this problem.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Mine doooo. Mostly on the elliptical.

I have high arches so there is a lot of pressure on the balls of me feet and ellipticals require more pressure on those places as it is.
    I also have wide feet so my shoes are sometimes too narrow. Finally found a good pair that doesn't do that!

Forgot to add that every few minutes I have my feet take turns in lifting it up while ellipticalling for one rotation lol.
  • keeks419
    keeks419 Posts: 9
    Options
    This happens to me, too. I found that if I get on the stretching machines and stretch out my legs prior to getting on the eliptical or treadmill it isn't as noticeable. Also, I bought a pair of shoes that were a whole size too big.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This sometimes happens to me on the elliptical machine, because I tend to have most of my weight on the front of my foot. When my toes start to get numb I lean back slightly so my weight is on the center of my sole, and the numbness goes away in less than a minute. I don't know if it's circulation or a nerve thing, but that's what works for me.
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem- only on ellipticals. I can run/ bike/ walk/ hike and not have that problem in the same shoes. it's ONLY elliptical for me.
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too...no matter what shoes I wore, laces totally undone or not, it happened every time. REALLY annoying. Sorry I dont have any advice...maybe try without shoes and just wear socks if its your personal elliptical...they might frown on that at the gym:) I dont use the elliptical anymore. Good luck!

Me too!!! Shoes fit fine, laces not too tight...it just happens....on both the eliptical, the treadmill, and when running outside. I've never had diabetes of any kind, and do not have a circulation disorder. Glad I"m not the only one this happens to!:flowerforyou:
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    happens to me even when I'm NOT wearing shoes, or working out, but definitely happens when I work out, shoes, running, treadmill, street, whenever! UNLESS I wear compression knee socks. Even my fingers do it.. Could be poor circulation. My index finger was stark white and tingly earlier today, took over a minute to pink back up... :( Happens mostly when my hands and feet are cold.
  • andy2486
    andy2486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do the eliptical (arc trainer) and my feet go numb sometimes too. Try putting your weight on the middle to heel part of your foot and wiggle yours toes every so often. I know its hard to think about doing all of that, but if you wiggle yours toes enough you will feel them starting to go numb and then you can try to put your weight further back for a little. Hope this helps!
  • priescm
    priescm Posts: 95
    Options
    I had this problem.
    I used to loosen my laces all the time hoping it would help...it never did. My feet would go numb within a few minutes of exercise. I jsut thought I would have to live with it.
    Come to find out, It's not that my shoes were too small, but the toe box in my shoes was too small. I got fitted for new shoes that are the same size and width that I usually wear, but the way they are made creates more room in the toe box. I haven't had any issue with numb feet/toes since. I went from not being able to walk for 5 minutes in my shoes without numbness to running 30 minutes in my shoes without numbness.

The elliptical will still get me sometimes. I think its' the just the stationary feet coupled with my weight. I take a 30second break every 10 mins on the elliptical to stretch my legs and roll my feet around. That has fixed the problem for the most part.