My feet go numb when working out

Options

Replies

• Starleng
    Starleng Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I went to an athletic shoe place and they told me you should wear a size bigger when you are running (road, treadmill, or elliptical). They sized and checked to see if I needed inserts. I did. The shoes cost a $100 and the inserts were $40. Not bad. I haven't had any problems since.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It's actually normal for your feet to go numb while using an elliptical, forget where I read it but my feet go numb as well. It's because your feet are stationary and all your weight is on them so try to wiggle your toes/roll your feet sporadically and see if that helps.. it helped a little for me but didn't make it go completely away..

I have this problem on the elliptical too - but only since I was pregnant. I used to work out just fine on the elliptical pre-pregnancy. It freaked me out so I asked my Dr about it and they said basically this same thing. Your feet aren't moving like they would if you were actually running. When I tried shifting my weight back and forth while doing moving to simulate more of a running feeling it got a little better.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    There are many reasons why this can happen. Usually numbness is caused because of a lack of blood flow to that area of the body. It can be anything between your heart and feet causing it. Even too tight of a belt can be enough!

I'd start with your shoes. As a lot of people said, they need to be loose enough. Your feet do have the tendency to swell during extended cardio work. So start with looser socks, and don't lace your shoes as tight.

Next, look at the pants you are wearing. Do they leave ugly red marks on your skin after a workout? There is a chance that they are too tight. Most have some give, but you can get clothing too small.

If you continue to have problems with this, see a doctor. This can be a sign of something more serious.
  • LisaGore1
    LisaGore1 Posts: 41
    Options
    I have this same problem I even tried my crocks which are very loose and it still goes numb I notice though if I push through, the numbness starts to go away after like 30 minutes. I do sometimes tap them out but its temporary relief. I thought it was due to my legs not being the right stride length for the machines as I have short legs, but seems many people have this issue
  • Long2bslim
    Long2bslim Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too on the elliptical, thought it was just me, nice to know I'm not the only one :ohwell:
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    Mine do the same thing!!!

I just stop when it starts happening and I flex each foot for about 10 seconds each. I have a whole method I do to insure I don't lose my time on the elliptical! ha!
    I do it every 7-10 min after that. It really helps. You can't let it get to bad or you will fall when you try and get off!

Good luck!
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I get this problem on the elliptical sometimes. Best I can figure is a circulation thing and the whole centripical force thing.

Here's my theory. Ellipticals and treadmills are great and all but it is not the same as walking or runing outside and I think impacts people differently because we all move differently.

With the elliptical your legs are moving around and around and around but your feet don't often leave the pedals so your stride and range of motion is mostly the ankle and up which could be inhibiting blood flow. I've also noticed that if my feet start in the middle off the pedals after a few minutes of intense movement they have shifted forward (the centripical force thing i mentioned - like swinging your arms back and forth really fast and you can feel the blood pooling in your fingers).

The tread mill is more natural but if you were walking/running outside the ground doesn't move the way the belt on the treadmill does and depending on your stance and how/where your foot impacts the belt you may be not be getting a full reange of motion thus blocking some nature blood flow.

When this happens to me on the elliptical I usually just try to make a point to pick up my feet every now and then and shake (or tap like somone else said) them out. Also going in reverse helps some.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It happens to me all the time when I do cycle classes!! I thought I was the only one!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Maybe your heart rate is getting too high? When I do cardio my nose/lips and fingers tips go numb. =\
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    the sneakers you wear when doing cardio should be a half size larger than the shoes you wear on a daily basis, and your laces should fit snugly without being to tight.

This! I went to a running store yesterday and got fitted for running shoes. A SIZE bigger!! And my feet were not numb during my workout yesterday.
  • BobbyJo18
    Options
    I also have that same problem, have for years when I'm on those same machines. I just try to wiggle my toes and change my direciton on the machine. I find that helps. I know my shoes are the right size so it can't be that and I don't tie them too tight.

16577128.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • delmore1
    delmore1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem as well. My feel usually start to go numb after about 20 minutes or so. I will be watching the answers as well on this.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It could be your laces. A friend of mine recommended these -- not only do you not have to tie your shoes or worry about them becoming untied, they give with your foot and actually help the shoe wrap around and form to your foot better. You can pick them up at your local running store or check them out here:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/NYT489/

Here is the company website the explains them in a little more detail:

http://www.yankz.com/
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I used to have a problem with my feet going numb while on the elliptical. I tried different shoes. My feet were still numb.

Then somewhere, possibly on here, I read that someone had tried stretching their hamstrings before working on cardio. That seemed silly to me. But I tried it. Now my feet don't get numb any more.
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You have alot of good ideas here, my feet burn after about a half hour of running or the eliptical....I just know that I am really pushing my body then....
    Good Luck!
  • rmorris718
    Options
    I had this same problem. Thought my bunions were pushing on my other toes and causing all the numbness. Went to Pediotrist. NOPE!!! Inserts are the answer. Since I got my inserts, no problems. Not gels, but inserts. There are a number of places to find them. I know some Wal-Mart stores has the machine to measure your feet. I got my at the New Feet Store. Good Luck.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    this happens to me. roll some tennis balls under your feel - helps to stretch them. buy bigger shoes... they felt to big for me... but have made a big difference. still happens on long runs so I have stuck to shorter intervals.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Happens to me on the elliptical only after I have been on it about 45 minutes or when I go up to the biggest stride, but also happens when I go for long walks. Usually if I just stand up on my toes for a bit it get the blood back to them. It used to happen more often and more early on when I wore cheap shoes, but only rarely in my Swiss K tubes.
  • Wilson336
    Wilson336 Posts: 76
    Options
    Looks like it is pretty common....Happens to me sometimes when I run, but doesn't kick in until I've gone a couple miles. I changed shoe brands and it stopped.
  • fitnhealthykaren
    Options
    This always happens to me, only on the elliptical though. I alleviate it by frequently picking up my feet with my strides.