Runners and C25Kers

Options
C25K

I am starting Sunday with my puppy Jada. There is an annual Paws on the Pavement run I want to participate in May 19th. For those who have done the program or those who are avid runners, do you think that is enough time to comfortably run a 5k?

I teach an intense Zumba cardio and weight class about 6 times a week so I'm not starting fresh or anything.

Any tips? Pointers? Suggestions for survival?

Replies

• dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I wouldn't have been able to run 5k without walking in 5 weeks. I followed the c25k program and needed every day. But I had never run before. I did do spinning, yoga, soccer, weights, etc but had a hard time with running. Had I pushed myself faster than the c25k program I think I would have ended up injured.

Good luck!!! I love running now and am so glad I found c25k!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Most C25k routines are 8-9 weeks. You may not be able to get to running a whole 5k in this time, but you'll be close!

The very first thing you need to learn is pacing. Learn to breathe with your pace. I like 2 beats in breath, 2 beats out breath. And GO SLOW. If you can go any slower, you are going too fast.
    I have a trance CD I use for my workouts. The beat of the music is the same all through the cd, and it's perfect timing for my running cadence. If you can find music that works for you, it can make all the difference on those longer runs.
    There are podcasts out there for it too, if you prefer that.

Good luck! I'm on week 7 of C25k, and have my race on May 6th. I'm excited!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have been able to run 5k without walking in 5 weeks. I followed the c25k program and needed every day. But I had never run before. I did do spinning, yoga, soccer, weights, etc but had a hard time with running. Had I pushed myself faster than the c25k program I think I would have ended up injured.

Good luck!!! I love running now and am so glad I found c25k!
    I was the same way...needed every day, and never ran before the program. However, I'm an old fart (48), so you might be able to ramp it up a bit. You could start week one, and if it's "too easy" skip to the next, but....just be careful.
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    Possibly for you, however I would say for puppy's sake- there is no shame in walking! haha. I would just use that run as a workout for whatever day of C25K you are on at that point. And for self esteem sake you want the puppy to have a relatively slow PR so that it's easier to beat on the next 5K! :wink:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    How old is your puppy? Their bones and joints aren't really ready for structured runs until they are 18-24 months old.

Good luck on your C25K. It is a great training program!
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    How old is your puppy? Their bones and joints aren't really ready for structured runs until they are 18-24 months old.

Good point! Our dog trainer said not to take our dogs running until they were a year old. And even then limit it to a mile or so.
  • jonnyb62
    jonnyb62 Posts: 426
    Options
    Hard to say without knowing your level of ability. If you can run comfortably for 15 to 20 minutes or more right now, you could probably do it. Otherwise, I don't think you probably have enough time unless you plan on walking part of the race.

Tips: Get good shoes. Don't try to do too much too soon - injury can result. Learn pace and breathing. Remember to take rest days.

Good Luck!
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options

12 months....

We walk every night together now. Some nights she walks me...some nights its the other way around...:happy:
  • chaimtime
    chaimtime Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is my second time through it. The local town's 5k is at the end of may, but I'll be done with the program around the time of yours.

I found out that the my main problem with leaving the couch was that I was bored. There was no victory. I bought comfortable shoes, and worked hard on getting a good music playlist going (all songs greater than 4 minutes). Now as long as I don't think of the time, I am fine.

week 5 dreaded day 3 (Run 20 minutes) in about an hour.

Gets easier from after today.