negative calorie foods??

Options
ive read grapefruit, lettuce, celery and a few other foods are negative calorie foods??

surely this isn't actually true??

lol!

Replies

• sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I believe that is false...as they do have calories.
  • Summergirl_88
    Options
    I heard celery doesn't contain any calories at all and because its so chewy you actually burn calories eating it. Not sure how true that is but it's a nice thought! Also drinking freezing cold water, apparently your body burns calories warming it back up?
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I think they call them this because it takes more energy for you to digest them then what you get out of the food.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Stop reading the AOL homepage for diet advice.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I heard celery doesn't contain any calories at all and because its so chewy you actually burn calories eating it. Not sure how true that is but it's a nice thought! Also drinking freezing cold water, apparently your body burns calories warming it back up?

Celery does contain calories, even if it were true that you burn more than you take in. You still take in calories.
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I think they call them this because it takes more energy for you to digest them then what you get out of the food.

^^^ This
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    They have calories. The energy it takes to chew and digest them is part of your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). For weight loss purposes, you need to count them.
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    wasn't looking for diet tips lol! and wasn't on aol!
    just ended up on a web page about it lol thought it was an interesting idea!

perhaps just to get people to eat more fruit n veg!!?? or the really low cal noodles you can get?? they were on the list!
  • lincolndavid
    Options
    Yes there are negative calorie foods. That doesn't mean that they have no calories. It means that it uses more calories to eat and digest them than they contain. For example if lettuce has 25 calories and chewing, eating, and digesting lettuce uses 30 calories, then you would have a net gain of -5 calories.
  • Summergirl_88
    Options

Celery does contain calories, even if it were true that you burn more than you take in. You still take in calories.

Oh okay, thanks for that. I had always wondered x
  • princessruthiebelle
    Options
    Yes there are negative calorie foods. That doesn't mean that they have no calories. It means that it uses more calories to eat and digest them than they contain. For example if lettuce has 25 calories and chewing, eating, and digesting lettuce uses 30 calories, then you would have a net gain of -5 calories.

i might just chew salad n spit it out haha easy work out :p
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options

This.
  • CarriLu123
    CarriLu123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

i might just chew salad n spit it out haha easy work out :p

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Food has calories.

No calories = not really food.
  • princessruthiebelle
    Options

This.

i did say i wasnt... but thanks
  • diadori
    diadori Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Because that's both constructive and helpful. :indifferent:

Get off your high horse. This community is about helping each other; not cutting people down.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Even with celery, you get more calories from it than you burn digesting it.

However, it is low-cal enough that I can't imagine blowing your diet by eating plain celery.
  • princessruthiebelle
    Options

Because that's both constructive and helpful. :indifferent:

Get off your high horse. This community is about helping each other; not cutting people down.

<3