New to Gym

Options
I am starting a gym membership at the end of this month. I have never worked out in a gym and I was thinking I would spend 1 hour at the gym 5 times a week. My question is how should I split up my time. 30 cardio(elliptical or treadmill) and 30 strength? also if there is any other advice you can give me I would appreciate it very much!!!:smile:

Replies

• mkgk03
    mkgk03 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'd start out with 5 minutes of a warm up on a cardio machine to get your HR up.
    Then, I'd do whatever weights you want to do. I wouldn't time it. I would just go with what you can do.
    Then I'd try to do at least 20 minutes of cardio the first day or however long you can go, until you build up to 30-60 minutes per day.

I don't like putting time limits on my work outs unless I absolutely have to. I also would ask yourself what your goals are. For example, do you want to be able to do cardio for a certain length of time? Do you want to lift a certain amount of weight eventually? Set up goals and work your way towards them. You'll figure it out.
  • lilsis10
    lilsis10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I found that if I do what I enjoy, then I'll keep coming back. Do the cardio and resistance (weights) that you think you would enjoy, but if you find that you don't like something, don't hesitate to swap for a different type of exercise (cardio for cardio, one machine for another). The more you do what you like, the longer you'll stick with it and then maybe later add on things you we're so sure about early on.
  • kristers03
    kristers03 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much what my schedule is when I go to the gym. I usually do 30 mins on the elliptical or 15 elliptical and 15 bike/treadmill. Then I do 30 minutes on the various weight machines. I alternate days on the machines, upper body Monday Wednesday, Friday and lower body Tuesday, Thursday so that I give my muscles a chance to rest.