doctor prescribed 1200 cal per day

Options
This is hard to do but I'm doing it but I'm wondering if it's possible to exercise too much. I lost 7lbs the first 2wks and I just finished week 3. with eating so little I'm not sure how much exercise I really should be doing.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    at only 1200 calories, you're going to lose quickly. Your body needs more fuel if you plan to exercise. Otherwise your body will turn to your muscles for fuel. You don't want that to happen.

If you don't exercise, do the 1200. (or even 1400)
    If you do exercise, add at least a couple hundred to that.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that your dr. may mean 1200 NET calories, in which case you can exercise however much you'd like, just be sure to eat your exercise calories back.

You can check with your doc on this - since you were given instructions by a doctor I'm sure he could give you advice on how much exercise you should do (and I wouldn't want to say something contrary to the dr's orders!)
  • Tajdancer
    Tajdancer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This is hard to do but I'm doing it but I'm wondering if it's possible to exercise too much. I lost 7lbs the first 2wks and I just finished week 3. with eating so little I'm not sure how much exercise I really should be doing.

Any suggestions?

Does your doctor know you're exercising? How many calories do you estimate you burn during a workout? Generally speaking, you'd want to eat those back to achieve a net of 1200.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Direct all questions about your doctor's advice to your doctor.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It is possible to exercise too much. You probably aren't exercising too much. You're eating too little.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options

Any suggestions?

I'm supposed to only be having 700-800 calories a day, per doctors orders. If you are hungry all the time, eat a little more. Especially on days you exercise. It's impossibly hard at times! I'll be on 1200 next myself. (Once I get back to 150, that is.) I average about 1200 NET most of the time anymore. I am training for a 5k, lifting, and working out nearly daily. I just need more fuel than most of the people on her diet!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Unless a Dr. goes into the field of weightloss, his studies on the subject are very limited. You will find that 1200 calories will only stall you overall weightloss, and that you will lose muscle instead of fat. Eat more to lose weight!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to only be having 700-800 calories a day, per doctors orders.

an MD told you to eat only 700-800 a day?

I am extremely skeptical of such a recommendation. This is not safe or a suitable amount of calories for adults.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options

I am extremely skeptical of such a recommendation. This is not safe or a suitable amount of calories for adults.
    That's similar to what a gastric bypass patient would eat. I'm not advocating it but it is safe for adults.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

That's similar to what a gastric bypass patient would eat. I'm not advocating it but it is safe for adults.

taken out of context... we don't know the circumstances. this is certainly the exception, not the rule.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options

taken out of context... we don't know the circumstances. this is certainly the exception, not the rule.
    I'm not implying anything about the poster. I'm speaking purely to the caloric level. It's true that bypass patients eat that little.

I suspect the doctor is just recommending that level since other people have lost weight at the level and haven't died.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options

^^^^^
    This, or if you don't trust that doctor, get a second opinion quickly. I would NOT go against your doctors recommendations based on advice you get on a message board.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this.

And if it were my doctor, I'd certainly have questions about this.. I don't doubt you can drop massive numbers eating very little food - 100lbs in 100 days, for example - but I'd ask questions. I would want to know why my doctor wants me to eat about half my BMR, for how long, and what his/her expectations are.