Everyone else in my house is eating junk!

Options
im trying to seriously diet, while everyone else in my house eats junk. How can i get them to stop bringing so much temptation into the house? and how do i resist? and i need suggestions for cheaper low cal food? anything would be helpful! thanks

Replies

• bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I understand completely, it happens to me all the time! I usually eat at diffent times of the day now (I'm trying the whole 5 meals a day, with smaller meals thing) so I usually am eating at different times now. But before, I would be tempted and sometimes even give in (enchiladas last Saturday) but usually I can just resist by just doing other things during their mealtimes. Gym, video games, play guitar. I don't know if you have any hobbies or not. Luckily for me I have a best friend (who also is my trainer) whom I refuse to let down.
  • liftandcycle
    Options
    same here.. in the beginning my parents were eating pizza and burgers etc etc infront of me... and it was hard but I just ignored it.. I didnt ask them to change but as they saw me change for the better not only physically but also emotionally they began to change now my mom works out and eat good and has lost alot of weight, my dad is trying too... the best thing to do is love yourself and remeber why you're doing this, forget what they are eating bc they arent gonna change even if you ask them too.. some ppl are gonna say that you have no right to ask them that.. which is kinda true so forget them and their fattening food and do your best!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Try visualizing the junk food for what it is. JUNK!

You wouldn't put mid grade fuel into a sports car would you?

Is there a certain time when the junk food appears, late at night? Try doing 1/2 hour of exercise during that time frame. It will usually tame your temptation's.

Low cal food, air popped popcorn with seasoning on it. No butter! I eat about 15 cups a day!

Bags of apples at the grocery store.

Funky herbal fruit teas - not the sugar laden bottled stuff.

Cheers
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you aren't getting any support at home :(

Some cheap healthy foods though... Whole wheat linguine, fruits and veggies from the farmers market, Home made green monsters (super duper healthy! - The flax seed is not so cheap but lasts a long time) String cheese, boneless skinless chicken breasts, and homemade hummus are some of my favs :)
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I feel like i am living in my own world, i live in a house where they all constantly try to sabotage me and healthier eating. They say we love you just the way you are and i can not get through their fat heads that if i continue doing whatever i will not be around to do anything. In the last three weeks since i started this journey my daughter has brought home fastfood from every restaurant in a 20 mile radius and so lovingly asked each time mom eat with me i know you want some. Willpower only is so strong at times. My husband is addicted to reeses peanut butter cups my biggest downfall when it comes to candy, No he can't eat things with coconut or nuts or anything else i don't care for. No and he leaves them all over including on my headboard. I have had to walk away back up from the food or i will never accomplish this journey. So luckily i have my mfp friends there to support me.
  • Jonsgrl1612
    Options
    thanks guys this is helpful, and i will definitely look into the cheap foods.
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Apart from asking politely there isn't much else you can do to stop them from bringing it in and unfortunately for you how they choose to eat is up to them. You could ask them to not have it in view (out of sight out of mind). I have food in my house that I don't eat but my OH does, it's in a carrier in the pantry. When I first started cleaning up my eating habits I saw these foods as not been mine, eating them was stealing I got through with willpower, now I don't want them. As food price differs place to place it's hard to say what cheap is, the best advice I can give is try to cook meals from scratch, make bulk and freeze left overs (saves time & dishes). Home made soups are a great low cal meal option, I love lentil soup, any way good luck ;)
  • HeealthyMee
    HeealthyMee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm so sorry to hear how people are sabotaging some of your weight loss efforts - how mean! It just goes to show you that sometimes, jealousy gets the best of people. Don't let them win. You all are awesome for being able to succeed despite their efforts. Let their jealousy fuel you... good luck!
  • jenn32399
    jenn32399 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    a few snacks i like when I'm having cravings are

when I want something kinda salty - a handful of dry roasted peanuts
    when I want something sweet - emerald breakfast to go smores (it has m&ms in it!)
    and when I want something crunchy - baby carrots & f.f. ranch
    sugar free jello cups with a dab of f.f. cool whip hits the spot too, and is one of my favorite deserts...and only 35 calories!

all of these snacks are 200 calories or less and not too expensive. hope this helps
  • dry61ed
    dry61ed Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You sound like you are very strong in avoiding the multiple temptations at your home. Perhaps when you family sees you mean business with this they will stop purposely tempting you. Also, once they see you looking and feeling better, perhaps they will begin to eat better also. I know that will be a little time down the road. Keep up the good work. You go Girl !!!!