Here's why you're not losing weight! Follow this equation! (

Options
2»

Replies

• tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Many people (including me) get a little frustrated by not losing weight and inches; and find themselves sitting on a plateau. Do not fret! This is quite natural for your body to do. What you need to remember is this weight was not put on overnight and therefore, its not coming off overnight. What you do this week, is not going to show the results on your body for about another 2-3 weeks. BE PATIENT AND KIND WITH YOURSELF!!!!

However, here is just some information I found on MFP and am sharing with others in hopes this will help. :smile:

BMR is the amount of calories needed to survive in a coma. Maintenance calories are BMR x activity level.

Go here to find your BMR: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/:happy:

Sedentary: BMR x 1.2 = xxxx calories
    Lightly Active: BMR x 1.375 = xxxx calories
    Moderately Active: BMR x 1.55 = xxxx calories
    Vigorously Active: BMR x 1.725 = xxxx calories
    Extremely Active: BMR x 1.9 = xxxx calories

So, based on your daily activity level, which depends mostly on your job, you would be at any of those calorie levels. Take that number, subtract 500, and that's your calorie goal. If you burn extra calories by exercising, you add those to your goal and be sure to eat those calories!

For example, my BMR is 1793 and I have a sedentary life.

1793 x 1.2 = 2151 Calories
    2151 – 500 = 1651 Calories

So, if I do not exercise at all today, I will need to burn 1651 Calories

However, say I burned up 490 calories exercising today. I would take the 1651+ 490 = 2141

This means by the end of the day I would need to have eaten 2141 calories to lose a pound a week. Make sense?
    I know it sounds weird you should eat to lose.

Remember; keep to a green diet (no light colored foods like breads, pasta etc) and add your protein (fish, chicken, beef) accordingly. I do not always eat a healthy because of my job, but I try.

I hope this helps in your quest to lose the weight. DRINK LOTS OF WATER and look at losing weight as a needed life change with the weight loss being the bonus!

Also, I am taking a multi vitamin + Energy along with Milkthistle. I can feel the difference in my energy level and know my metabolism must be working!

Good luck my friends! :flowerforyou:

I'm sorry, but are you a scientist or in a field of medicine/nutrition? Because you should NEVER put such faulty and unfounded information out to a group of readers, not all who understand the science like this. This is absolutely ridiculous, and goes against anything I was ever taught in all my years of nutrition-based education. READERS, PLEASE DISREGARD THIS INFORMATION.
  • CallOnRo
    CallOnRo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump
  • deejaycee114
    deejaycee114 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    "what'chu talkin', 'bout, willis?!"

just do whatever works for you! ;)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    Thanks, tig. I'm giving up fighting this battle alone......
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but are you a scientist or in a field of medicine/nutrition? Because you should NEVER put such faulty and unfounded information out to a group of readers, not all who understand the science like this. This is absolutely ridiculous, and goes against anything I was ever taught in all my years of nutrition-based education. READERS, PLEASE DISREGARD THIS INFORMATION.

If you're going to suggest people disregard the information as it is "faulty and unfounded" would it be too much for you to provide what you to be the correct information? Could you expand on "all my years of nutrition-based education", are you a scientist or in the field?
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    All the OP did was post what MFP already tells people when they fill out their initial goals. Why bother?
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options

If you're going to suggest people disregard the information as it is "faulty and unfounded" would it be too much for you to provide what you to be the correct information? Could you expand on "all my years of nutrition-based education", are you a scientist or in the field?

Yes, the OP is telling people to eat BELOW BMR...which depending on your weight can be EXTREMELY dangerous. And no, I'm not a scientist, but I do have my Doctorate in Dietetics and Nutritional Counseling, so I think I know a little bit about the dangers of this.
  • MomOfJoey
    MomOfJoey Posts: 58
    Options
    OK, I'm just starting to try to figure this out, so correct me if I'm wrong: my Katch McArdle BMR is ~1200. That means, if I just lay in bed in a coma, I need 1200 to maintain my organ functioning. That is not counting walking around, thinking, lifting up my kid, grocery shopping, etc. So add that to your BMR, plus exercise calories. What is missing here is the gap between BMR, which is doing NOTHING whatsoever, plus the calories you burn just living through your day as a mobile person, plus exercise calories. This is why the calculations on http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ give you caloric numbers that look so high.

Is this about right? I am in a plateau right now, so I am going to try eating more and see if it works. If not, I will go back to 1200 + exercise calories.
  • indiepops
    indiepops Posts: 96
    Options
    i think there is some confusion over bmr and the hbe

right my bmr is 1332.1, this is if i was in bed all day, the calories i will burn by doing nothing. so i times this by 1.375 as i am lightly active, that gives me 1831, take away 500 = 1331 a day to lose 1lb a week.

take in the fact of water weight, period bloat for us ladies and some weeks it will be hard to see this loss on the scales, if i burn 500 a day from exercise i may only lose 1 more lb a week. i think thats what does us all, not seeing the figures on the scales, but in just over 3 weeks will have lost half a stone, 6 weeks a stone...and so on. we all need perseverance...not easy when a chocolate bar is staring you in the face!!
  • MomOfJoey
    MomOfJoey Posts: 58
    Options

right my bmr is 1332.1, this is if i was in bed all day, the calories i will burn by doing nothing. so i times this by 1.375 as i am lightly active, that gives me 1831, take away 500 = 1331 a day to lose 1lb a week.

take in the fact of water weight, period bloat for us ladies and some weeks it will be hard to see this loss on the scales, if i burn 500 a day from exercise i may only lose 1 more lb a week. i think thats what does us all, not seeing the figures on the scales, but in just over 3 weeks will have lost half a stone, 6 weeks a stone...and so on. we all need perseverance...not easy when a chocolate bar is staring you in the face!!

There is a big difference between this number and the number you get from www.fit2fatradio.com/tools/bmr That site tells you, if your BMR is 1200, and you are moderately active, like working out 3-5 times a week, you should be eating more like 1900 calories. So which is it? There is a whole meal's difference between 1200 + 300 exercise calories and 1900 calories a day.
  • indiepops
    indiepops Posts: 96
    Options

There is a big difference between this number and the number you get from www.fit2fatradio.com/tools/bmr That site tells you, if your BMR is 1200, and you are moderately active, like working out 3-5 times a week, you should be eating more like 1900 calories. So which is it? There is a whole meal's difference between 1200 + 300 exercise calories and 1900 calories a day.

yes different website will give u slightly dif bmrs due to using different formulas, i go with the hbe and thats just my opinion, and what i do. no matter what site i try its roughly 1300-1400 so i take the middle one and have 1350 a day,thats not unhealthy or below 1200, but this is because i am lightly active, working out 1-3 times per week, you have to read the definitions on the websites of the activity levels properly to get an accurate distinction of what to use. some will have light - average - hard, some will have very lightly - light - moderate - hard - ex hard. so you have to be careful with this.
  • cherirae
    cherirae Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you cmriverside for your help. It is beginning to make sense to me now! When I hit that plateau- and I'm sure I will, I wiil come back to this site and study about aall these things and eat more!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    This thread was just to introduce all of you to the power of the internet.
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    All these things do my head in.I am just going to follow what my food diary tells me to do. Isnt that the whole point of this website, along with the amazing recipes and support and friendship!
    Good luck everyone and well done to everyone keeping with it all. :smile: