Muscles!!

Options
I know that most people put ON weight once they start working out - muscle weight. I think a sudden gain of 3-4lbs is normal. I was 130lbs before getting in shape. I'm now 137lbs! What the...?!?! Seven pounds of muscle - is that normal?? I don't even do any extensive weight training at the gym because I'm trying to AVOID being too muscular. I know its not extra body fat coz I still fit into the same clothes. I'm waiting for the day when I actually start LOSING weight!

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Muscle takes a while to gain weight wise. It takes the typical female about a month to gain 1 pound of muscle weight. Recheck your food/calories. It not unusual to start overeating when you weight train. Women don't have the hormones to bulk up like guys so it makes it a bit harder and longer to gain that muscle mass. Don't be afraid of the heavy weights. Unless you start taking hormones you won't get that bulk! : )
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    In order to gain muscle you have to eat more than maintenance calories.

It is pretty much impossible to gain any muscle on a calorie deficit. You may see muscles you haven't seen before, but its just you losing fat and your muscles are easier to see.
  • bootsnspurs4horses
    Options
    don't let 3 meezly pounds get ya down !!! If your clothes are still fitting properly like you said. .then keep going. . . it's just 3 pounds. . .if you keep doing the right thing, exercising and let's say. . Keep up the good work. . . everything else will fall into place !!!

Muscle can be a good thing. . . just firming up can be even better !!! The scale does NOT have to move to know there is improvement in your life !!!
  • OrientalGem
    OrientalGem Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I exaggerated a little bit when I said "sudden" muscle gain. It didn't happen overnight, it was over a stretch of 3-4 months. I just thought it was a rather high number for muscle gain. I guess the real key to weight loss is in the diet. Thanks for the info & tips. I won't let these "meezly" extra lbs get me down ;)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    so OG, there are a few things that happen to your body when you start working out.

1st, and most importantly, your body chemistry changes, this can (and usually will) cause you to retain more fluid, some in the form of water, but also, much in the form of glycogen. Glycogen is what fuels the body during exercise. When you work out, you incorporate muscle fibers that you weren't previously using, this signals the body to store more glycogen, which is a heavy liquid. You can and will gain many lbs that way.

Also, when we work out it changes our electrolytic balance, which affects our water retention rates, this can cause our bodies to either become dehydrated, or retain extra water depending.

3rd thing is that when we work out, it forces our body to increase bone density, bones are relatively light, but if the change in exercise is dramatic and sustained over months you can gain a couple of lbs from it.

so take all this into account. All of it (with the exception of dehydration) is normal, and generally speaking, good for the body. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you can see and feel the positive changes in your body, there's no need to worry about a 5 to 10 lb change.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    so OG, there are a few things that happen to your body when you start working out.

1st, and most importantly, your body chemistry changes, this can (and usually will) cause you to retain more fluid, some in the form of water, but also, much in the form of glycogen. Glycogen is what fuels the body during exercise. When you work out, you incorporate muscle fibers that you weren't previously using, this signals the body to store more glycogen, which is a heavy liquid. You can and will gain many lbs that way.

Also, when we work out it changes our electrolytic balance, which affects our water retention rates, this can cause our bodies to either become dehydrated, or retain extra water depending.

3rd thing is that when we work out, it forces our body to increase bone density, bones are relatively light, but if the change in exercise is dramatic and sustained over months you can gain a couple of lbs from it.

so take all this into account. All of it (with the exception of dehydration) is normal, and generally speaking, good for the body. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you can see and feel the positive changes in your body, there's no need to worry about a 5 to 10 lb change.

Banks, doesn't the body also begin retaining more creatine from our diet, and therefore holds more water in our muscles? I could be wrong about that one, just curious.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

I totally agree. Since I started strength training I refuse to get on a scale. When I first started I decided to get on the scale and I had gained 2 lbs, I was so upset my husband hid the scale. Now I just go by how my clothes fit and how I feel. It was hard at first but I just put it in my head ,SLOW and STEADY. I don't have a deadline, this is for the rest of my life.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Banks, doesn't the body also begin retaining more creatine from our diet, and therefore holds more water in our muscles? I could be wrong about that one, just curious.

Ahh, creatine helps the body break down and convert amino acids for muscle energy, which means the more muscle fibers you activate, the more creatine your body uses, but creatine isn't why your body holds more water, it's just a vehicle for muscle activity and growth.
  • 2catowner
    Options

This is GREAT INFORMATION- I just keep learning things daily on this site!!
  • OrientalGem
    OrientalGem Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm......interesting, and really good to know. I didn't take all that into consideration before. Thanks for all the info guys!! (And gals) :wink: