1280 cals a day doesn't seem healthy...

Options
2»

Replies

• EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 1200...i am 5 ft tall....i do eat back my exercise calories....so far it hasn't been too bad...i've been doing this a couple of weeks...hoping to drop some soon...as soon as i reach my goal i'll up it to a healthier amt.
    San :)
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't limit food intake too much especially if you have suffered from eating disorders.
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If you aren't comfortable with that number, I would suggest playing around with it. Your loss may end up being slower than you'd like, but the slower you go, the more likely you are to really make long term changes. Basically, if you aren't comfortable with that level, change it. But I do highly recommend eating back most of your exercise calories.
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    Hello.. I personally think your diary for the past few days is full of excellent choices and nice balance. You may want to watch your sugars and carbs a bit if you want to reduce your calories a bit. For example, orange juice is pretty high in calories -you'd be better eating a whole orange instead. I'm not you, and will never be.. but if I were I'd simply go with what you are doing and add just a bit of exercise to get you to the 1240. I doubt it would take much more than 1/2 hour walk per day.

thank you for taking the time to look at my diary! I think i shall start taking a short walk each day- we've just moved to the Peak District so i should make the most of it!
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's way too low. But it's not MFP's fault. Your weight loss goal is way too aggressive for your build.

You should drop it down to 0.5 lbs/week, or set your caloric goal to your BMR. That will give you approximately 250 more calories. Much more healthy.
  • robynrunco
    robynrunco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just personalize your calorie count and increase it under Goals. Everyone is slightly different. As long as your are making wise food choices and exercising you should be fine.
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    I wouldn't limit food intake too much especially if you have suffered from eating disorders.

This is what I thought! I wanted to do things healthily. When I had anorexia I actually resticted to 1000-1200 and got down to an unhealthy 80lbs in no time...so it seems odd that MFP is suggesting this..
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    Yes, that's way too low. But it's not MFP's fault. Your weight loss goal is way too aggressive for your build.

You should drop it down to 0.5 lbs/week, or set your caloric goal to your BMR. That will give you approximately 250 more calories. Much more healthy.

a few people have suggested dropping to 0.5lbs. I think i shall do this from now on. Thank you every one!
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    didnt for me
    I upped my cals to about 1800 and felt better and lost weight..

good luck
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Depends on your height. I'm short (5'1"), so 1200 is perfectly acceptable for me. However, since you're taller, I'd say you should eat a bit more! Calculate your TDEE and subtract 500 calories from that :)
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising?

MFP is set up to assume that you will eat back your exercise calories as well... so if you go to the gym and burn 300 calories, you'll really be eating 1580 calories that day.

This : You need to eat more to fuel your workouts.
  • Rebel73
    Rebel73 Posts: 12
    Options
    Also,

you have to listen to your body. My daily goal is NET 1800 calories, but if I genuinely feel hungry, I eat something. Your body knows what it needs.
  • marcylara
    marcylara Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you do a significant burn, eat more. If you are bumming around, eat less. Don't forget, it's the type of food, too. If you eat a slice of pizza, that's 200+ calories, as is ONE doughnut! But you could eat a super large salad with some lean protein for that many calories. Watch the bread, dressings, fries, etc. If it hasn't been alive at some point and can't be consumed without much processing, then don't eat it!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I run once a week and do 25 minutes of circuit training every day at the moment :) i eat my calories back when possible

well you should ALWAYS eat them back and reassess your goal. 5'6 and 120 is REALLY REALLY thin. I don't think it's necessary or advisable to force your body that low eating less than 1500 calories a day. Definitely change your goal to 1/2 pound per week though otherwise you'll like lose muscle in addition to fat and ruin your metabolism.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

a few people have suggested dropping to 0.5lbs. I think i shall do this from now on. Thank you every one!

That sounds about right. That'll give you 1530, which will put you a bit over your estimated BMR, plus when you're already in the "healthy" BMI range and just want to go down a bit, you need to be more patient.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

This is what I thought! I wanted to do things healthily. When I had anorexia I actually resticted to 1000-1200 and got down to an unhealthy 80lbs in no time...so it seems odd that MFP is suggesting this..

sounds like you're still a bit disordered. 120 is way too low hun. maybe you should speak to your parents about this--it doesn't seem like a wise move for someone haivng suffered with an eating disorder.
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    Lots of good advice here!

I've decided to:

-Increase my goal weight by 5lbs (it was too low)
    -Aim for a loss of 0.5lb a week
    -Take a walk 3-5 times a week
    -Eat when I'm hungry and listen to my body! And to not get bogged down with numbers....
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options

I've decided to:

-Eat when I'm hungry and listen to my body! And to not get bogged down with numbers....
    Good luck!
  • firelady74
    Options
    My calorie intake without exercise is only 1210 so I feel your pain! ;0) Like others have said, adding the exercise will add on the calories you can eat and the benefits to your body and health are wonderful! ;0)
    Best of luck!
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

I've decided to:

that sounds sensible, good luck. :)