Cruise temptations! Help!!

Options
Heading on an 8-day cruise next week... super excited for it! But, also, a bit terrified : ( I know that there is going to be SO much tempting food (especially sweets). And, without internet access, I am not going to be logging like I usually do. I know that I will be getting lots of physical activity while on vacation, but still really worried that this week is going to be a huge setback. I am planning to allow a sweet only once a day (prob dessert after dinner) and gym every day (even if just for 30 minutes).

Any tips?!?! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated : ) Thanks!!

Replies

• kblonigen
    Options
    I'm so jealous! That sounds fun. If your worried abt the buffets, I would fill up on veggies, fruits and lean meats. Maybe you'll be too full to eat alot of the bad stuff. If you plan on carrying a purse, you could jot down what you've been eatting. Even if you don't have a calorie count for it, you will see if you've been eatting alot of junk or not. Hope this helps...Have fun!
  • miss_september
    Options
    My husband and I were on a cruise in March, and I actually lost 5 lbs!!! We ate more frequently than we do at home, and obviously couldn't count calories or anything, but here are some things we did that might help you:

1) Don't eat anything that you don't like. It is ok to taste it, then opt not to eat it (we had a few of those)
    2) Take small portions from the buffet. My experience is that even in the dining rooms on our ship. portions were very reasonable
    3) Don't see anything as off limits, but keep in mind moderation
    4) USE THE STAIRS!! (we used the elevators twice when we were on our ship. When we first got there 'cause the glass elevators were cool, and the day we disembarked 'cause we had a lot of luggage to cary)
    5) We did a lot of walking around the ship, especially after dark
    6) Be careful about alcohol calories. This wasn't a problem for us because neither of us drink, but it is worth mentioning.
    7) Don't get the "endless soda" option (if there is one on your ship)--stick to water and tea
    8) Most of all: HAVE FUN, and don't stress the small things =-)
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Relax and have a good time! Moderation is everything.
  • ashlee2012
    Options
    I agree with the others- I'm SUPER jealous, but it does not have to be a huge setback for you at all! This whole journey is about making healthy, informed lifestyle decisions, and simply by using MFP, that's something you've been teaching yourself to do! Do what you know, but at the same time, don't be afraid of enjoying yourself. The key to everything is moderation, and if you've been doing it right, your body will TELL you it doesn't like what's going on!

I also agree that I would still log- maybe just keep a little mini notebook with you. On times when I've had to be away from MFP for a few days I still tried to log everything and I just fill in the missing days here when I can log back in so that I can still consistently see all of my progress!

HAVE A BLAST! SO JEAAAALOUS!
  • Robyn9011
    Options
    Thank you all SO much for the advice : ) I will definitely log as best as I can. That will, hopefully, keep me in line : )
  • vicky1966
    vicky1966 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    :happy: I went on a 9 day cruise last september and didn't put on a pound ..even though I ate what I liked ...have fun!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Don't stress it too much, enjoy your vacation!
    Also, while there's sure to be lots of tempting junky food available, there will also be lots of yummy good stuff - stuff you might not always have around at home. Think shrimp and all those delicious fruit trays!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Have fun!!! We're going on one in October and i have the same fears. I like the idea of jotting down what you eat just so you can see it. I also think i may give myself some slack. 2 healthier type meals a day and one not so great. You walk tons on port days so thats a plus. Or maybe fill your plate with fruits and veggies and after you eat that if you still want the "bad" stuff then allow yourself some?
  • ncytiz
    ncytiz Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise in October and we were gone a total of 10 days. I tried to be careful with my choices and not go completely crazy, but I didn't want to miss out on the fun of "vacation foods" either. I gained a total of 3 pounds, but I got back to eating normally when I came home and it was gone within 2 weeks. It doesn't have to be a big deal, and it doesn't have to derail your success. Enjoy your trip!