Newie here... confused

Options
Hi everyone,

As the subject noted, I'm a newbie here and confused about something. I'm sure this question has been asked multiple times so forgive me for asking it again. I joined MFP on Tuesday and was given 1250 calories. One day later the calories were reduced to 1200 (and not by me). This does not seem to be enough. Granted I work out every day so I could use the exercise calories (I do sometimes but don't always use all of it) but am confused because I do not know if I am eating enough calories.

Thanks for the replies

Replies

• crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    What are your settings on-lose 2 pounds a week, 1 pound a week, 1/2 pound a week! Change those and it should give you more calories if you go to 1/2 pound a week! Look at your goals! Good luck to you!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    As you workout and log your workouts your calorie counts will change. For example if you workout and burn 300 calories, you will get 1500 calories to eat that day.
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Also a lot of people on here say to eat your exercise calories! i don't know for sure as I'm just learning all this myself!
  • bsjg1995
    bsjg1995 Posts: 5
    Options
    1200 calories is an absolute minimum to avoid starvation mode which will cause your body to burn protein (muscle) instead of fat. It is very low, you will want and need to use some of those exercise calories. Also check to see how fast you are trying to lose weight. If you change your goal it will adjust your calories. Slow and steady is better than fast, discouraged and giving up.
  • redvamp22
    redvamp22 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi Crudd, my weight loss goal is 2 lbs per week, exercise 6 dys a week for a minimum of 40 mins each day. I've gone over the 40 mins sometimes though

Cyclerjenn, thanks so much for the explanation. I understand now why it changed
  • redvamp22
    redvamp22 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi bsjg, thanks.. I'll definitely take a look
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Also a lot of people on here say to eat your exercise calories! i don't know for sure as I'm just learning all this myself!

Yes you will hear mixed remarks on this subject. For me and it has been working so far, MFP tells me to eat 1500 a day, I modified it to 1800 a day and then I do not eat my workout calories back. The reason is because of my training, I will burn anywhere from 300 - 5000 calories in a day. So I have choosen to spread the calories out throught the week and eat the same amount every day.
  • MissVickie220
    Options
    Don't eat your calories that assanine there'd be no point in exercising.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Don't eat your calories that assanine there'd be no point in exercising.

No point except for a fitter body, healthier cardiovascular system, increased endurance, mood boosting endorphins, and increased self esteem, you mean.
    Right?