Very new and really confused/Net calories

Options
Can someone please help me out with this net calorie thing? I am 5''0 and i currently weigh 148 pounds. I lost 20 pounds so far that was with weight watchers and now i believe i've hit a plateau. I don't understand how to read this at all. My goal is 1200 calories and i exercise frequently. I typically burn around 500-600 calories a workout/6 days a week. My BMR is 1437. I am beyond confused on how i should be calculating the calories that i am eating. My net calorie is always positive. I know this issue has been beat to death but somehow i am still confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• redvamp22
    redvamp22 Posts: 28
    Options
    according to MFP calories consumed (food) - calories burned (exercise) = net calories. This is a quote from MFP iphone and iPad app...it also goes on to say the following:

What that means is that if you exercise, you will be able to eat more for that day. For example, if your Net Calorie goal is 2000 calories, one way to meet that goal is to eat 2,500 calories of food, but then burn 500 calories through exercise.

Think of your Net Calories like a daily budget of calories to spend. You spend them by eating, and you earn more calories to eat by exercising.
  • Nika870
    Nika870 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you. I finally understand that i need to take in more because of the amount of exercise that i actually do.
  • redvamp22
    redvamp22 Posts: 28
    Options
    You're welcome...no prob :)
  • Phenix_Ablaze
    Phenix_Ablaze Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My goal is to eat only about 1200 calories per day as well. Even though MFP adds extra calories when I exercise, I personally still try to only have 1200. I feel comforted that I have extra calories available if I feel extra hunger that day, but my mind tells me "you didn't work your butt off to burn those calories just to turn around and eat them". :-)
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This is my comment I just posted on 2 other threads. The formula tends to be very confusing to alot of people including myself, but I think I got it now. It is not explained on their frequent questions menu. Hopefully this helps.

I'm at a plateau myself, but I think I've finally wrapped my brain around the fact that I've got to eat back what I burned off because the goal calories MPF has set for you already has your weight loss goal you set built in. (That's why that number is on the lower end as opposed to other calorie calculators). The deficit includes the 1 lb or 2 lb weight loss goal you preset in your settings.

So for example, in my case:

My MPF Goal calorie number is 1330, today I burned 600 calories in excercise, so if I don't eat back those burned (excercise)calories my NET calories would only be 730 cal (1330-600=730). This is extremely too few calories for my body to thrive on. So if I eat the excercise calories, my Net calories will be 1930 total caloric intake (1330 + 600=1930). This is more realistic for my body 5'3", 135.5 lbs with the excercise workout I did today. I workout 6 days a week. (Your body needs the fuel for the excercise load). Now if I did not excercise today, I would just consume the 1330 Goal calories. (Never below 1200)

I'm going to stick with this and see how I make out. It makes sense to me, typically on the days I work out I am constantly feeling hungry...my body is telling me to eat those calories. I'm going to listen to my body.

Good luck to you!
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I never new what NET calories meant neither!
  • bbell2
    bbell2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow mogriff1 Thank you! Now I finally get it! I actuall feel silly for not understanding but I was sooo confused lol I was eating way under
    Thanks again
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    you're welcomed! That is the way MFP calculates it. :ohwell:
  • AMS58
    AMS58 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am so pleased I found this thread.... I also was confused.
    The reason for lack of weight loss, I'm not eating enough.
    I need to be eating nearer to 1200 net cals!!!!
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I was confused about this to, ty for explaining!