Does wine really increase weight?

Options
Hi! I tried recording my daily diet but I find it difficult to get motivated, as nothing seems to make any difference, my excess weight is permanent and probably made of reinforced concrete! is this common? I am almost 65 years old, male, 5' 7" tall and weigh 12 stone. I drank a bottle of red wine virtually every night for at least 30 years and this time last year my weight was as it is now, so I started gym 3 hours a week and I walk a brisk 2 miles almost every day,( takes 25 minutes including buying a newspaper). No weight loss but lots fitter now, I decided to quit drinking at 11.45pm new years eve, that's over 3 months now, (100 bottles!!) my eating hasn't increased and I drink slimline tonics etc, I've also increased my gym attendance, but my weight hasn't altered. A bottle of red must be at least 600 calories I'm saving each day, so why should I worry about trying to save 50 calories here 20 there etc , I worked it out I should be losing at least a pound a week, don't you agree?

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi! I tried recording my daily diet but I find it difficult to get motivated, as nothing seems to make any difference, my excess weight is permanent and probably made of reinforced concrete! is this common? I am almost 65 years old, male, 5' 7" tall and weigh 12 stone. I drank a bottle of red wine virtually every night for at least 30 years and this time last year my weight was as it is now, so I started gym 3 hours a week and I walk a brisk 2 miles almost every day,( takes 25 minutes including buying a newspaper). No weight loss but lots fitter now, I decided to quit drinking at 11.45pm new years eve, that's over 3 months now, (100 bottles!!) my eating hasn't increased and I drink slimline tonics etc, I've also increased my gym attendance, but my weight hasn't altered. A bottle of red must be at least 600 calories I'm saving each day, so why should I worry about trying to save 50 calories here 20 there etc , I worked it out I should be losing at least a pound a week, don't you agree?

Wine is also a duiretic and is used by bodybuilders the night before and the morning of competitions to flush out fluids and cause a decrease in weight (temporarily).
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Yiou should post this in the "Nutrition" section.
  • louiepro
    louiepro Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Wine is also a duiretic and is used by bodybuilders the night before and the morning of competitions to flush out fluids and cause a decrease in weight (temporarily).
  • dharmse
    dharmse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey ricky1947...I,d really like to see some responses to this question. You,ve decreased your calorie intake to such a degree that you should be losing at least a pound a week, just doing the math alone. Did you indeed post this on another topic board? I,d like an answer as well. (And congats on such a massive reduction in alcohol reduction!)
  • Ricky1947
    Options
    Hi - dharmse, no I haven't posted it elsewhere, I thought you wasn't allowed to? Thanks for the congrats, all I need now is a bit of weight loss!
  • louiepro
    louiepro Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    im 65 lost 36 lbs, i love red wine , drink only on the week end.drink ice water stay under 2000 and i lov to eat.i became a gym rat it helps , NY