Nervous to give up breastfeeding!

Options
Hey all!

I have been doing great at losing weight. I have lost 30 lbs in the past 3 months! However, I not only blame myfitnesspal and excercise...I feel that breastfeeding as been a helping factor here. I am really thinking I want to give it up only because I am not producing enough milk for my little guy. But I am SCARED to quit because what if I stop losing weight!?!? I have come so far and I still want to lose about 20 more lbs. WHAT DO I DO? Do I quit breastfeeding and risk it or do I keep doing what I am doing? :(

Replies

• skusky01
    skusky01 Posts: 16
    Options
    If you're losing weight becouse of the breastfeeding i would try to stick with it, it's what's best for baby! I'm a bfing mother also and when i started dieting my milk supply dropped until I increased my calories, so if you're worried about baby getting enough that would be my first suggestion. If that scares you like it did me you may want to supplement, that way you're still breastfeeding, but baby is getting enough. Hope this helps!
  • MomOfJoey
    MomOfJoey Posts: 58
    Options
    My son is 2.5 and still nursing. We're working on stopping. I did find that the adjustment of eating so much food to keep up my milk supply, then still eating that much after he stopped nursing all the time, was hard. I lost all my baby weight and then some, then gained it all back and then some. I would say, don't worry about it until you are down to 1-2 nursings a day. Then you have to start thinking about your caloric intake (which I did not, and here I sit, 15 lbs overweight). I am still working on it!
  • jennhast27
    jennhast27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have been supplementing with formula for awhile now. I guess deep down I am ready to quit but I am just scared. It is just so hard to pump 3 to 4 times a day and it is very upsetting when I only pump like 3 ounces for him. I like to pump so I know what he is getting. The doctors weren't kidding when they said breastfeeding is tough. lol This is my 3rd and final kid and that, too, is why I am afraid to give it up. Because he is my last! Thanks for your advice. I might try to eat more calories but that too scares me that my weight loss will slow down.
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My daughter just weaned herself at 19 months, a couple weeks ago. I lost 4 pounds in the last 2 weeks. I'm not sure if that's why but I haven't been eating the greatest.

Don't sweat it, you'll still lose weight. I do however recommend letting your child self-wean, it's wayyyyy easier on you and baby. They decide when they are done instead of you. I did that with both my girls and it was so nice, they just stopped asking. :)

Good luck whatever you decide!
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I hadn't considered that! My daughter will be 2 next week and seems addicted to BFing--I mean, like every 30 minutes, even though I'm not producing much. Last week, her dr. suggested that I wean her because she's only in the 2 percentile weight-wise and may be using BF as a comforting mechanism that's keeping her from taking in enough other liquids. So, I told her that the dr. said she can only "drink-drink" when it's time for nap or bed. So far, that's been working...most of the time.

Oops, off topic. Anyway, I guess I haven't really felt that BFing was keeping my weight down (I've been at pre-baby weight +5 lbs for over a year), even though I've heard that you can burn as much as 500 calories more a day by doing it. Maybe if you're producing a lot?

To be honest, I would do what you think is best, when it's best, for the baby and worry about the calories/weight gain if it happens.
  • jennhast27
    jennhast27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I know for a fact my little guy could care less whether he has formula or breast milk. It has probably been a week since he has nursed directly from me. I have been pumping everyday all day and giving him formula in between when I don't have enough milk. So I think quitting would be no big deal for him. I just don't know what to do. :( Breastfeeding has always been hard for me because I never produced enough milk for my first two kids. They only got my milk for the first 2 - 4 months and then I gave it up that quickly. And they are very healthy today. My third child is going on 5 months now so he has already gotten mommy's milk more that the other two did. And he is pretty healthy too. I guess my main concern then is no more weight loss if I give it up.
  • MomOfJoey
    Options
    I can tell you all my BF horror story-- my first day care provider told me I wasn't giving my son (4 months at the time) enough pumped milk. So I pumped like MAD. I lost 20 lbs in 2 months, a scary amount of weight. Then my pediatrician told me the day care lady was nuts, and to cut down. Of course, I gained all 20 lbs back because I got used to eating 2500 calories a day! Then I also got blocked ducts which went on, no kidding for about 8 months.

So overpumping can do really bad things to your metabolism and your boobs. A 3-4 oz bottle might be enough for him. He can start eating solids in a month, so that will take the pressure off you to provide all his calories. If you want to make more milk, you do have to eat more food. Seriously, it's OK. The poster above who said you can nurse off 500 calories a day was not wrong. The key is to stop eating that much once you stop nursing on demand. That was my mistake!
  • NanaKing4
    Options
    You will do fine if you quit. I know it is soooo very hard to do. Breast feeding is such a bonding time between a mother and her little one. As far as the weight loss. I strongly believe you are going to continue on losing. You look fantastic and you are committed to the cause.
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    Ok...I nursed both my girls and was under a ridiculous amount of stress to get the weight off at 6 months postpartum. There is no easy way. I did not have the success you described with weight loss while nursing. My "selective" infants would have nothing to do with milk after I ran or "worked out." What did work is after I stopped nursing, I went back to being serious about cutting calories and working out. Everyone is different and I wish you the best of luck!!!
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    what makes you think you haven't got enough milk?

if you do have low supply lots of things can help bring it back up that shouldn't affect your weight loss

eg

fennel tea 2-3 times a day
    fenugreek tabs 3x3 a day
    Motillium (domperidone) 3x3 a day (check out Jack Newman's website for more info on this depending on where you live you may need a perscription for it)

and very simply oats help to increase supply

there are lots of other things too and if you want more advice on what I'd recommend going to the BF forum on rollercoaster.ie the ladies there really know their stuff some are expert and will be able to help
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    Agree.
  • bfbooty
    Options
    Thanks! I have been supplementing with formula for awhile now. I guess deep down I am ready to quit but I am just scared. It is just so hard to pump 3 to 4 times a day and it is very upsetting when I only pump like 3 ounces for him. I like to pump so I know what he is getting. The doctors weren't kidding when they said breastfeeding is tough. lol This is my 3rd and final kid and that, too, is why I am afraid to give it up. Because he is my last! Thanks for your advice. I might try to eat more calories but that too scares me that my weight loss will slow down.

why are you pumping, pumping is a hard job it's pretty much double jobbing and no pump is as efitient at milking the breast like a baby is just cos you are only getting 3oz when you pump does not mean that, that is all the milk you have, your baby if fed from the breast will be able to get what he needs from you quicker and better than a pump can
  • MomOfJoey
    Options
    why are you pumping, pumping is a hard job it's pretty much double jobbing and no pump is as efitient at milking the breast like a baby is just cos you are only getting 3oz when you pump does not mean that, that is all the milk you have, your baby if fed from the breast will be able to get what he needs from you quicker and better than a pump can

This is the truth-- it is hard to let down for a machine. Your baby is probably getting a lot more when he nurses than you are getting when you pump. Is he meeting his weight benchmarks when you take him to his pediatrician? If so, then I wouldn't worry about measuring every drop of milk. Just nurse whenever he wants to and you will be fine. I also second the poster who said there are things you can do to boost milk supply, like fenugreek and eating oatmeal. You do have to eat more calories than you are used to in order to produce enough milk. Just remember that hundreds of calories are being sucked off your body when you child nurses full-time and don't worry about it! The full benefit of breast feeding is reached at one year, so if you can hang on and you want to, you should. It really does help keep you and baby fit. Friend me if you want support-- I went through every problem you can imagine and we made it to 2.5 years.
  • bfbooty
    Options
    Hmm, I hadn't considered that! My daughter will be 2 next week and seems addicted to BFing--I mean, like every 30 minutes, even though I'm not producing much. Last week, her dr. suggested that I wean her because she's only in the 2 percentile weight-wise and may be using BF as a comforting mechanism that's keeping her from taking in enough other liquids. So, I told her that the dr. said she can only "drink-drink" when it's time for nap or bed. So far, that's been working...most of the time.

Oops, off topic. Anyway, I guess I haven't really felt that BFing was keeping my weight down (I've been at pre-baby weight +5 lbs for over a year), even though I've heard that you can burn as much as 500 calories more a day by doing it. Maybe if you're producing a lot?

To be honest, I would do what you think is best, when it's best, for the baby and worry about the calories/weight gain if it happens.

firstly only wean if that is what you want to do pay no head to your dr who obviosuly has no clue about BF, breast milk contains in it more calories and nutrition than any other liquid or food they can take in, and again what makes you thingk you are not producing much milk? if you lo is feeding off you and not getting frustrated then there is obviously milk there, once your milk supply is established it adjusts itself according to what your lo needs at the time maning you won;t feel full anymore you also most likely will not be able to pump as much as in the earlier weeks e.t.c but I assure you your body is still producing what your lo needs, if not your lo would lose interest very quickly and or get very frustrated.

it seems like a lot of people are being given terrible advice from people who are not qaulified to advise on bf, I'd recommend with any qustions or issues to avoid your dr.s they are not trained and are not expert in bf only a bf lactation consultant is
  • bfbooty
    Options

This is the truth-- it is hard to let down for a machine. Your baby is probably getting a lot more when he nurses than you are getting when you pump. Is he meeting his weight benchmarks when you take him to his pediatrician? If so, then I wouldn't worry about measuring every drop of milk. Just nurse whenever he wants to and you will be fine. I also second the poster who said there are things you can do to boost milk supply, like fenugreek and eating oatmeal. You do have to eat more calories than you are used to in order to produce enough milk. Just remember that hundreds of calories are being sucked off your body when you child nurses full-time and don't worry about it! The full benefit of breast feeding is reached at one year, so if you can hang on and you want to, you should. It really does help keep you and baby fit. Friend me if you want support-- I went through every problem you can imagine and we made it to 2.5 years.

WHO advise 2 years and beyond for full bennefit of bf - but wean when you are ready not when anyone else tells you to.

still curious as to why you are pumping though it's easier to just feed on demand :wink:
  • MomOfJoey
    Options
    I agree that two years is ideal, but a vanishingly small percent of women make it to that point. It's a great goal if you can make it. If not, striving for 1 year is a good idea. But this is a personal decision, so you have to do what's right for yourself. If the OP wants to conntinue and needs support, it's out there. Pumping can be so demoralizing, so doing only what you have to is a lot easier.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    No advice but want you to know I'm in sort of the same boat. Have been bfing my 15 month old all along, but he is self weaning during the daytime, so I cut calories back a little. He's my 3rd and my experience has been to NOT lose weight until they are weaned. I just hang onto every extra bit until they are done. I would LOVE to be one of those people who lost weight while bfing! ;-)
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Good advice from BFBooty. I nursed my daughters for 21 and 22 months respectively, until they self weaned, pumping while at work during the first year for each of them. Babies are far more efficient than even the best breastpumps, for sure.

Best of luck to you.
  • navy1984
    navy1984 Posts: 57
    Options
    Not sure if you know this or not but I thought I would throw it out here anyway. When I started producing less milk and I wanted to quit I told my doctor and she said she could prescribe me something to make me produce more milk. So maybe you can talk to your baby pediatrician about it? I declined because really I was just ready to be done! :wink:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    If you're supplementing with formula, chances are breastfeeding is only taking 300 calories (or less). When you do wean completely, just adjust your calories down a bit more. (I log breastfeeding on my food log for 300 calories for my 6 month old; I don't supplement with formula but he is starting solids)