shin splints and pain !

Options
thyara
thyara Posts: 14 Member
Many athletes get shin splints -- also called tibial stress syndrome -- at one time or another. Whether you jog daily or just had to sprint to catch a bus one day, you may have shin splints when you feel throbbing and aching in your shins. While they often heal on their own, severe shin splints can ruin your game.

Shin splints aren't really a single medical condition. Instead, they're just a symptom of an underlying problem. They might be caused by:

Recommended Related to Fitness & Exercise
Health & Fitness: Ask a Question
Whether you’re lifting weights, training for a marathon, or just trying to get off the couch, our fitness expert will field your questions. Ask a Question: Fitness and Exercise Exchange
Read the Health & Fitness: Ask a Question article > >
Irritated and swollen muscles, often caused by overuse.
Stress fractures, which are tiny, hairline breaks in the lower leg bones.
Overpronation or ''flat feet" -- when the impact of a step causes the arch of your foot to collapse, stretching the muscles and tendons.
Shin splints are very common. They're the cause of 13% of all running injuries. Runners might get them after ramping up their workout intensity, or changing the surface they run on -- like shifting from a dirt path to asphalt. Shin splints are also common in dancers.

okay i have a lot of pain on my shins while RUNNING i have to do it very other day if not i can't even walk .. is like a burning sensation on your shins .. do anybody has that feeling?
and what type of exercise do u practice i don't want to stop my exercising on daily bases=)
and feel free to add me

Replies

• MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hey, I saw this on a Shaun T chat the other day. To help with the pain, Ice for 20 minutes, then take 20 minutes off and repeat 3 times if you can a day. Also lie on your back, bending the opposition knee and putting your leg with the shin splints across it. So your ankle will be resting on the side of the knee facing you, then gently trace out te alphabet with your big toe to gently stretch the muscle in your shin.

That should help relieve the pain and you might be able to continue light training. I had it back when I played football and I was told to ice and rest and maybe take a few ibuprofens.
  • thyara
    thyara Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thank u very much i have been trying to stretch but i have to wait until the inflammation is done or calmed down ..
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Big fan of writing the alphabet in the air with pointed toes!! Slowly and repetitions have eased mine in a matter of days!!!