ANYONE'S SHINS HURT/CRAMP WHEN DOING CARDIO??

Options
Wondering if anyone's shins hurt or cramp up when doing cardio like brisk walking/running??

Replies

• icandothis318
    icandothis318 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes when I first got back into working out a month ago, I experienced that. Things are much better now that my body has gotten used to things. Also I got proper running sneakers. The previous pair were of quality but I needva stability shoe.
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue when I started brisk walking/running. invested in a better pair of shoes, and that helped. Along with stretching. Good Luck!
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Wondering if anyone's shins hurt or cramp up when doing cardio like brisk walking/running??

I used to get painful shin splints when I ran. Then my sister who ran track and cross country in high school many moons ago, told me to do stair lifts

You place your feet on a step, and let the back half hang off. Then you raise up on your toes, and then lower your self back down, to where your heels are below the step, keep this up for a couple of minutes, and do it once or twice a day

I don't know why, I don't know how, but I haven't had one shin splint since.
  • taahine01
    taahine01 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    yes, I checked "the walking site" out and it mentioned what you folks just said.....I guess its time to buy another pair of shoes and start strengthening my calves and shins......thanks guys!!!
  • crystallayne
    crystallayne Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    When I was in the Army we were told that for shin splints:

1. Drink water!! (in the Army water fixes everything!)
    2. Make sure your shoes are properly fitted and replaced every 4 to 6 months.
    3. Make sure your laces are tight enough.

Not sure how accurate any of this truly is, but I did make it through 6 years and easily running 15 miles a week. Good Luck!