Unexplained weight loss?

Hi guys! I am new to MFP and am in my 2nd week of dieting.
The scales must not be right! I have lost 5.1kg (11lb) in less than 2 weeks. It certainly doesnt feel like I've lost much...
I started at 115kg, and am now 109.9kg. I am aiming to lose 1 kilo a week (2lb)
I have a diet of 1400 cal a day, BMR is around 1900 and my daily activity is 2,370. I havent been exercising much this week as I am sick. I usually go for a walk everyday as my exercise and sometimes do sit ups.

Is this right....... It doesnt feel like I've lost 5 kilos at all.... My stomach is still the same and I see no noticable difference from before and after pictures.

2nle92x.jpg
Saturday week 1 vs. Saturday week 2.

Replies

• LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Hi guys! I am new to MFP and am in my 2nd week of dieting.
    The scales must not be right! I have lost 5.1kg (11lb) in less than 2 weeks. It certainly doesnt feel like I've lost much...
    I started at 115kg, and am now 109.9kg. I am aiming to lose 1 kilo a week (2lb)
    I have a diet of 1400 cal a day, BMR is around 1900 and my daily activity is 2,370. I havent been exercising much this week as I am sick. I usually go for a walk everyday as my exercise and sometimes do sit ups.

Is this right....... It doesnt feel like I've lost 5 kilos at all.... My stomach is still the same and I see no noticable difference from before and after pictures.

2nle92x.jpg
    Saturday week 1 vs. Saturday week 2.

You have a bmr of 1900 and only are eating 1400? I hate to say this, your weight loss is because of that. For the time being, you could keep this up (while not fueling your body properly and not getting enough nutrients), but eventually, your weight loss will stall.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    2 weeks is not much time to notice anything in before and after photos. Also, most people experience large losses when they first begin and it tends to even out after a few weeks. It's not abnormal.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    This is what MFP reccomended to me. Some days I do do 1500 cals but other than that I am doing 1400 with no exercise.
    I am new, not sure what to do.
  • CassieReannan
    2 weeks is not much time to notice anything in before and after photos. Also, most people experience large losses when they first begin and it tends to even out after a few weeks. It's not abnormal.

I know, I am just wondering.. Because 5 kg is heaps! My body is 50% body fat though, maybe this is why I dont see it.
  • 2 weeks is not much time to notice anything in before and after photos. Also, most people experience large losses when they first begin and it tends to even out after a few weeks. It's not abnormal.

^^ this..
  • LizKurz
    This is what MFP reccomended to me. Some days I do do 1500 cals but other than that I am doing 1400 with no exercise.

Hrm. That's interesting. What did you use to calculate your bmr at? and what is your profile set on if you dont mind me asking?
  • kjbristol
    kjbristol Posts: 22 Member
    I lost 15 my first two weeks. It is mostly water weight and soon will drop to a normal amount! Just follow mfp it works!
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    I see the loss in your arms!! :)
  • CassieReannan

Hrm. That's interesting. What did you use to calculate your bmr at? and what is your profile set on if you dont mind me asking?

Sedentary. 1 kilo goal a week. I calculated my bmr on MFP.
  • ny2298pdsgt
    ny2298pdsgt Posts: 62 Member
    your not eating enough, right now your weight loss is from water weight. dont starve your self. eat close to your allowed amount, its already accounting for losing the smount of weight you want in a week. eating too many cals less then what they suggest acutally hinders you progress in the long run.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391

I see it there too! I only had 36 pounds to lose and I lost the first 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Just the change in your diet shocks your system into weight loss. You will start losing slower soon. Great job for your first two weeks.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    It is normal to lose that much when you first start...your weight loss should slow down slightly as time passes. Make sure you are eating back the calories you exercise. My BMR is 1600, and my recommended is 1456 a day (for 1.5 pound weight loss a week). I usually eat between 1500 and 2100 depending on how active I have been, and I have lost 14 pounds in 35 days (I'm pretty active, and I weight 190). I had two days when I ate less than 800 calories, but I had the flu.
  • LizKurz

You know what? for some reason, that's right. I put in your stats into my profile and it tells me 1480 cals a day. which seems really low.
  • CassieReannan

Hm.. you are right. Although I was holding my arm forward in the after pic.
  • I see a slight difference in your arms. I started at 270lbs. I am just starting to notice a difference. My clothes are looser but I haven't gone down a size yet. I lost 6lbs my first week. Now I average about 1-2lbs per week, but I have had weeks with no weight loss also. Don't be surprised if you don't lose anything some weeks. Patience is a virtue. Just don't quit. Good luck.
  • TonnaJai
    TonnaJai Posts: 49 Member
    try setting your goals to one pound a week rather than 2 and see the difference.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    I wouldn't change a thing. Lowering food intake and making healthier eating choices will often make you have an almost immediate loss of water and waste. Give it a couple weeks and see if the trend continues. Sorry to say, but unfortunately I don't believe it will.

If it does however, I would recommend changing it from 2 lbs/week to 1 lb/week.
  • CassieReannan
    I wouldn't change a thing. Lowering food intake and making healthier eating choices will often make you have an almost immediate loss of water and waste. Give it a couple weeks and see if the trend continues. Sorry to say, but unfortunately I don't believe it will.

If it does however, I would recommend changing it from 2 lbs/week to 1 lb/week.

Thanks, I may just have to do that.