Play guitar?

Options
I want to learn to play the guitar, and I don't even know where to begin. What brand guitar should I get? I'm totally a beginner :)

Also, if anyone wants to give me lessons via skype, I'll pay you in gum...haha :)

Replies

• sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Great! What do you want to play?

There are a million different brands and they all have a model range, so it's hard to say exactly what to get. Epiphone, for example, makes a $99 guitar and then they make on up to $1k+ guitars. You typically get what you pay for. I really like Yamaha because I feel like their build quality is very consistent and they also have several models that are good values, very high on features while reasonable on costs, kind of like a Hyundai.

My main advice, I guess, is not to make the mistake of getting a cheap guitar just because it's your first one. A lot of people make that mistake and buy a bad guitar or don't have it set up properly. The strings will be too high, etc. and then they wind up frustrated because it's hard to play and their fingers hurt.

I like the Taylor Big Baby. It's very easy to play and it sounds pretty good. It's also just a touch smaller than a regular acoustic. You probably wouldn't notice it unless you held two side by side. It's not a mini guitar or anything, but it's really comfortable for people who think a typical acoustic is a little bulky. Depending on your budget it could be a little pricey, though.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/taylor-2012-big-baby-taylor-acoustic-guitar/h79608000001000

I can't do lessons, but I can try to answer any questions you might have about things. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • kwikstop
    kwikstop Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I like the Taylor Big Baby. It's very easy to play and it sounds pretty good. It's also just a touch smaller than a regular acoustic. You probably wouldn't notice it unless you held two side by side. It's not a mini guitar or anything, but it's really comfortable for people who think a typical acoustic is a little bulky. Depending on your budget it could be a little pricey, though.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/taylor-2012-big-baby-taylor-acoustic-guitar/h79608000001000

I have this one and it's great for a beginner!
  • Danhra
    Danhra Posts: 77
    Options
    I don't have any brand suggestions but as for learning there are hundreds of guitar tutorials on YouTube. Lots of great beginner ones too. Good luck!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've just started playing (well "playing" might be a stretch at this point). I bought a Martin guitar. A little pricey, but it sounds good (when my teacher plays it). Hopefully, before too long, it will sound good when I play it! I'm really enjoying it but I do get frustrated sometimes. My fingers won't always do what my brain tells them to!
    Good luck!
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    okay it honestly depends on where you want to go and how serious. I Have been playing guitar since I was young.

Different guitars offer different sounds, the pickups, the wood whether its a straight through neck or a bolt on neck etc... Obviously when you get into this you are looking at expensive.

Whats your budget and how serious are you??? How far do you want to take it?? Do you want to play acoustic, electric, or what are some kinds of music you want to play???

Feel free to inbox me. I also have mates the build guitars, sell them etc :)
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    My main advice, I guess, is not to make the mistake of getting a cheap guitar just because it's your first one. A lot of people make that mistake and buy a bad guitar or don't have it set up properly. The strings will be too high, etc. and then they wind up frustrated because it's hard to play and their fingers hurt.

I'd have to disagree here. I mean it's not going to hurt you to get a nicer guitar, but I don't really think it'll help you either. I learned guitar on the cheapest one I could find (at Rushworth's in Liverpool, I was a huge Beatles fan and had the chance to do that). It was a classical and the strings were not very low. My fingers had to stretch and, yeah, my fingers got a bit sore for the first week or two. But they will anyway. Craigslist is full of nice guitars for cheap because people bought them with the intention of learning, and didn't. It's all about if you want to learn, and a nice guitar won't make you learn any faster. Plus if you get a guitar you have to work harder on at first (starting on an acoustic is good), you will get better faster. Thing is, you will be exercising muscles, and you will be developing callouses on your finger, that's part of playing guitar, and there's no way to get around that part of it, it's just if you want to, well, to compare it to weight lifting, lift light or heavy!

I actually stopped for a while in college with school and life being really busy, and when it came time to start again, I tried starting on my electric, and it was painful, too, though maybe not as much. But if you get really good on an electric, you'll still have problems with strength and everything on an acoustic, whereas if you start on an acoustic (the cheaper the more so...), you will have no problems whatsoever on an electric.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread. I am buying a guitar for my birthday so this information is great
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I would buy a nicer guitar, not a bloody signature duo jet. I bought an ibanez art core agr70 which wasn't my first guitar but it's something that will last me years, sounds great and feels really nice to play. My playing became a lot better, bar chords were easier on the wrist, the stings didn't sit forever away from the frets and because of all this it was more appealing to practice. This is how it helps you even it's just a mental thing.
  • doinitforme2012
    doinitforme2012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I want to learn to play the guitar, and I don't even know where to begin. What brand guitar should I get? I'm totally a beginner :)

Also, if anyone wants to give me lessons via skype, I'll pay you in gum...haha :)

you don't want a brand someone named off for you. between hubby and I we have over 10 guitars... the only one's that are the same brand are two. one of his which is an electric and the other one is mine and it's an acoustic-electric. when buying a guitar you want to go to a music store and sit down with the guitar hold a couple cords, strum a few times, get the guitar that feels the most comfortable for you.
  • doinitforme2012
    Options
    Great! What do you want to play?

There are a million different brands and they all have a model range, so it's hard to say exactly what to get. Epiphone, for example, makes a $99 guitar and then they make on up to $1k+ guitars. You typically get what you pay for. I really like Yamaha because I feel like their build quality is very consistent and they also have several models that are good values, very high on features while reasonable on costs, kind of like a Hyundai.

I can't do lessons, but I can try to answer any questions you might have about things. Feel free to add me if you like.

AND this is the point of my other reply, i HATE Yamaha's i think they are cheap ****. in my opinion if you want an amazing guitar that's good quality you should get a Les Paul :) also my first guitar (an Ibanez acoustic-electric) was only $150 with replacement strings, an amp and all the travel/gig gear you can think of. i LOVE that guitar and it's the cheapest guitar in my house.
  • doinitforme2012
    Options
    okay it honestly depends on where you want to go and how serious. I Have been playing guitar since I was young.

Different guitars offer different sounds, the pickups, the wood whether its a straight through neck or a bolt on neck etc... Obviously when you get into this you are looking at expensive.

Whats your budget and how serious are you??? How far do you want to take it?? Do you want to play acoustic, electric, or what are some kinds of music you want to play???

Feel free to inbox me. I also have mates the build guitars, sell them etc :)

this post needs a like button. :)
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i have a yamaha acoustic and some sort of electric guitar.. i cant remember what it is.. its pretty though.. solid wood.. had that one about 30 years as well. as one of my students informed me.. it was "vintage".. well, that made me feel old! and have had it for over 30 years.. still plays and sounds great. taught myself.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    The greatest guitar plyr of all time learned on a $10 liece of junk....just get what u can and start from there...

Also, im talking Eddie van effing halen
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    The greatest guitar plyr of all time learned on a $10 liece of junk....just get what u can and start from there...

Also, im talking Eddie van effing halen

Aaah I'm sorry I must have been mistaken when I thought it was the one who learned on one he and his dad built out of an old fireplace. :wink:

(Brian May), but the point of this post is spot on.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what kind of music you are interested in learning, but if you want to do more than just strum chords, I would recommend a nylon string acoustic. If you have a choice between a classical and a cutaway, go for the cutaway. Steel strings are harder on the fingers and have a brassier sound. Electric guitars use steel strings for instance. Starting off with steel strings will be painful, so I highly recommend nylon strings.

I wouldn't invest in anything expensive until you have been playing for at least 6 months. Most people think playing guitar is quick and easier than piano etc. With this realization, their fancy guitar collects dust as an ornament in their room.

I took private guitar lessons every weekend for 6 years and have been playing for 9. I still have stuff to learn and my most expensive guitar is $300.

Good luck!