What exercises target the lower abs (post pregnancy flab)

Options
I've had 3 children over the past 4 years and now have that lovely poochy, hangy tummy. Am I doomed to have this forever or does anyone know of any exercises I can do to get rid of it? I'd really appreciate it!!

Replies

• prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump I would like to know too
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Scissor crunches is one I know of.
  • LSHANDREW
    LSHANDREW Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm convinced that I will have to have a tummy tuck to remove the skin AFTER I lose the weight.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    high knees. :3
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I do Bent Knee hip raises and flat bench leg raises... They kill my lower abs!

Here is a video

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/main/popup/name/bent-knee-hip-raise
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Finger exercises. By dialing a plastic surgeon.

(I'm just teasing. But I do love my Tummy Tuck!!)
  • NellaSweet
    Options
    Bump
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    I think planks work well, go into elbow planks, lower hips and raise hips several times. Then swivel from side to side. Kills me, but... I still have my pooch. I think it is my badge of courage and I need to not let it bug me. A lot of it is skin and scar tissue that won't go away unless I have surgery. Not happenin. Good luck.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options

Here is a video

thanks for posting this! :)
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    bump'
  • mmillians
    Options
    Cardio, cardio, cardio! The famous pilates plank, and get a medicine ball for your abs. Sit down, bend your legs and raise them off the floor, so you're kind of balancing on your tailbone. Then, holding the ball in front of you, twist to the right, bounce the ball on the floor and catch it, then twist to the left and do the same thing. Repeat. I had a trainer teach me those, and wow does it whittle down your torso.
  • calroseangelo
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio...zumba, mainly...I'm going to start the 30 day shred this coming week. I plan on losing at least 50 pounds and I don't want to lose all of that and then have that pooch get worse. I've thought about getting P90x or Insanity once I've lost a bit more. Would that help?
  • SergeiKay
    SergeiKay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    IMHO, for your case you would benefit more from a combo of abs workout AND cardio.

I've noticed that i get an effective workout for lower abs by doing knee ups. You can do these at the gym on a station that combines pull-up bar, dip beams, and the back/elbows rest for abs (don't know the proper name), or at home on a couch.

Pretty much any variation that involves moving your hips and legs will target the lower abs more.

So the idea is to build up foundation with abs workout and trim up a bit with cardio, HIITs or usual, up to your preference really.
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You can't target just the lower abs, you have to target the abs as a whole.
    When muscles contract, the whole muscle contracts and this is why you can't just target one part of a muscle.
    You also can't spot tone to remove fat in one area of the body.
    You have to lower your body fat% to remove fat.
    Make sure you get 1g/protein per lb bodyweight while eating 500 calories less than maintenance.
    This will make sure that the weight you lose will be fat and not lean mass.
    You can also fix any lose skin on your stomach by strengthening your core muscles. This includes your abs, obliques, and lower back. Compound lifts are the best at strengthening the core along with any weighted ab-work for 8-12 reps.
    Also don't be afraid of lifting. You won't get bulky or "muscle-bound" or turn into the hulk. Don't be afraid of getting hurt because you can always do exercises in a power rack(one literally saved my life today) http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/a/liftingheavy.htm
    Lifting is essential for getting that toned look that almost all women want to have.
    Just find a routine and focus mostly on compound exercises(ones that use multiple muscles at once) and increase the weight each workout if you complete enough reps.
  • calroseangelo
    Options
    IMHO, for your case you would benefit more from a combo of abs workout AND cardio.

I've noticed that i get an effective workout for lower abs by doing knee ups. You can do these at the gym on a station that combines pull-up bar, dip beams, and the back/elbows rest for abs (don't know the proper name), or at home on a couch.

Pretty much any variation that involves moving your hips and legs will target the lower abs more.

So the idea is to build up foundation with abs workout and trim up a bit with cardio, HIITs or usual, up to your preference really.

I don't go to a gym so how could I do something similar at home?
  • calroseangelo
    Options

Here is a video

Thank you! That looks like something I need to try!
  • Gulzilly
    Gulzilly Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Here is a workout I have been doing for my pooch. It's gone down as I have been doing this with the 30Day Shred. I do both daily!
    I combine both with running every other day.

http://www.fitnessbender.com/2012/03/abs-in-hurry-10-minute-workout-fitness.html
  • melhayes1115
    melhayes1115 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Cardio seems to be helping me. I have four kids, so I fully understand the belly pooch. Mine is a lot smaller than it use to be, but I don't think it will fully go away (mine, not necessarily yours). My tummy has been toning up quite a bit, however, I have notices when I am doing pushups, planks, or other exercises of that nature, my skin on my belly sags. So, for me, I think a tummy tuck will be the only way I can fully get rid of mine.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I think you have a good plan. 30DS is good, you cant really worry about your tummy till you lose the weight.
    I do recommend 6 week 6 pack. It is a combo of cardio and abs.
    Then after that I do recommend Insanity which I am doing now and P90x which I want to do.
    I have had two kids and do not have a pouch anymore :happy:
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I lost 10.5 inches from doing the 30DS 2.25 of those inches were off my waist and 2.5 off my hips.

After the 30DS I did ripped but did not like level 2 or 3 too hard on the knees, so bought Killer Buns & Thighs and 6 Week 6 Pack

Awesome workouts and I have lost 2 inches off my waist and 1.25 inches off my hips. in 2 weeks, I do workout 1 of each 3-4 times a week (the fist time I did it I couldn't move the next day even though I have done shred and ripped)

I just bought Kickboxing Fastkick and did it today for the first time, amazing workout, my biggest burn ever, I was still trying to figure out the moves but managed a burn of 402 in 42 minutes. (i know I will be sore tomorrow as theres a lot of high kicks in there)

I think balance is the key, big burn one day, weights another and then toning and good clean food.

Hope that helps and good luck :drinker:
    Alli