Please Look at My Diary - Gaining?!?!?

Options
I am hoping that someone can really help me with this - I have a major problem - I am gaining weight like crazy. I have made my diary public so anyone can go in and see. I think it would be best to go back a week before Easter since I have a giant family that I had to feed on Easter and for the first time in 3 years didn't track my food (sorry) but did wake up and run that morning (go figure). I am 31 years old, female, 5'7", have PCOS, and have been working out 7 days a week (finally took 2 nonconsecutive days off this week). Additionally, I used to be on Weight Watchers but left after the new program yielded no results and gave free fruit (PCOS people need to watch carbs so a diet that charges high points for proteins like nuts but lets you go hog wild with tangerines is NOT a good thing). I came to myfitnesspal and the first week nothing happened and I had my goal to lose 1.5 lbs a week (I think, might have been 2). Then the second week at 1,450 cals I lost 4 lbs. Awesome, joy of joys, this website is for me. Consequently, my calories were lowered to 1,380 and then the problems began. It was just not enough cals for how much exercise I put in and I am an active person (I teach college and don't watch very much tv). I was SO tired and couldn't do anything (I was like the runner in the Gatorade commercial that collapsed at the finish line). So, I read some boards and looked at my BMR which is around 1,585 (depending how much I weigh) and changed to lose 1 lbs a week = 1,650 calories. However, I didn't jump right in. I started at 1,580 (my exact BMR) and after a few weeks without success I just went to 1 lbs a week.

So I came here at 187.6, got down to 179.7, and now weight 185.8 (oh and I feel really huge today, got back from the gym and the scale says 191.1!!!!!! - yeah I thought I swore off the 190's months ago). I have my weight loss at 1 lb a week = 1,650 cals. I have my weight in at 185.8 (last actual morning weigh in) and I eat most of my exercise calories back (since not eating them wasn't working either).

I really, really am desperate for help. I am NOT losing inches. I am getting bigger and I am a healthy person. I can't understand what is going on. I will say that the past week has really been bad. I have had some personal problems and serious frustration in the face of all this gaining so my diary is less that I expect of myself (i.e. I ate the ears off a small bunny the day after Easter - but am I really not allowed to ever have chocolate again? Also, did I mention I work out like crazy?). No excuse but please go back and look at my typical routine since joining. I just do not feel that this is indicative of how I usually eat, that's all. I truly appreciate any help one can offer and I just feel totally defeated right now.

Replies

• jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Your first mistake is weighing yourself after the gym. Your muscles swell so there is the extra weight, which really isn't fat gain. I also suggest you read into this: (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr) to find out extra how much you should be eating. It seems to me that you weigh yourself WAY too much.
  • reka74
    reka74 Posts: 70
    Options
    I find all the answers to all my questions and desperate doubts here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have been working with a trainer and she is having me lower carbs to 40%, 30% fat, 30% protein. I have not weighed in yet this week (I only weigh once a week) so can't tell if it has made a difference or not. Maybe something to consider.
  • kittymoney
    kittymoney Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have been working with a trainer and she is having me lower carbs to 40%, 30% fat, 30% protein. I have not weighed in yet this week (I only weigh once a week) so can't tell if it has made a difference or not. Maybe something to consider.

I have been doing the same and mine are set to 40/25/35 and it made a difference for me. cut the carbs down and increase the protein if you are working out that much you need protein for your muscles. Something I also do is cut a few days off from exercising and just eat my regular calories and it kick starts my losing weight again and then I continue on with my routine as before. sometimes our bodies need the rest and it shakes up what our bodies are use to doing.
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    I agree with the guy above! I have looked at your diaries and can't see anything glaringly obvious to worry about. The only question I was going to ask, was about when you weigh. The site actually recommends that you weigh once a week at the same time and before eating or drinking anything.
    I think you are having a mad wobble. You have done so well, don't get disheartened.:flowerforyou:
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    With PCOS, you might have more success eating more like a diabetic and focusing on foods with a low glycemicimpact and staying away from fast carbs. Also try balancing out your carbs with protein, especially first thing in the morning. This might make you feel better and less hungry all of the time. I'd change the macros to get the carbs below 50%.. I wouldn't go low carb, just something more moderate like 40 or 45 percent. Also, a little more healthy fat could really help you with feeling full.
  • mcwooty
    mcwooty Posts: 5
    Options
    I have PCOS and am hypothyroid. It can be really tough to lose weight.

I see the best results when I weigh and measure everything I eat and log it accurately. I also only weigh myself in the morning before eating/drinking. I read the Stoplight Diet which is based on the glycemic index. I don't follow it to a T but it is helpful to me. I also try to never eat carbs alone but to have a protein with them. It helps to not over eat or to get cravings. That is just my personal experience though.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/08/11058654-first-bite-warning-foods-that-make-you-do-bad-things?lite
  • ummnadir
    ummnadir Posts: 48
    Options
    Sorry but what is PCOS
  • yogamama30
    yogamama30 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    my sister has pcos, and the cysts were filled with some kind of hormone that caused her to not be able to lose weight no matter what she did. once the dr figured it out and put her on some meds for it, she dropped a whole bunch of weight...maybe you should talk to your dr? also only weigh yourself once a week at the same time of day because your weight fluctuates like crazy :) Hope that helps!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sorry but what is PCOS

Poly cystic ovary syndrome.. and it comes with a carb intolerance. Most women with pcos need to limit their carbs to 80-120 g per day in order to lose weight. And the OP is very carb heavy. I would aim for 30% carb 40% protein and 30% fats.
  • crystallayne
    crystallayne Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I also looked at your diary. My question is how do you get .6 of a cup of mango and .3 of a tbls of jelly? Are you estimating or actually measuring these things? If you are estimating I would use the round up method a little more than the trying to be exact. It is a proven fact that most people under estimate amounts of things when you eye ball them. For example I love Ben and Jerry's ice cream and try to account for it once in a while. When I first started this my 1/2 cup serving really was 1 cup sometimes more. Maybe this will help or maybe it won't, I am not familiar with your condition. I hope that it does not keep you from reaching your goal, good luck!
  • carolynbonacci
    carolynbonacci Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your help and advice. I actual do measure everything. Before I came to myfitnesspal I was on Weight Watchers. So 2/3 cup mango I use measuring cups for before putting it on the Greek yogurt. I even still measure my peanut butter and jelly on my English muffin every morning and I have had that for breakfast almost everyday for three years. I agree with every one on the protein and really appreciate any ideas on that one. I am a vegetarian who recently became a pescatarian. However, (crazy) I have both a shell fish and mushroom allergy - which is terrible because they are great sources of protein.
  • carolynbonacci
    carolynbonacci Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Okay, read the Stoplight Diet and that is very interesting. I think I may be eating too many of the same things over and over that are better off as every other day or once a week thing. All the above links were really helpful!