Correct or not

Options
My BMR is 1410. It is what I have my calorie intake set to right now. I have chosen 1/2 pound a week because when I choose 1lb or 2lbs it knocks me right down to 1200 calories per day. I work out at home (walking 20 minutes) but I have a sit on my butt all day job.

My stats:
cw: 150
gw: 133
female
5'4

I eat back my exercise calories and try to get as close to 1410 as possible.

Am I on the right path?

Thanks.
Melanie

Replies

• BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    You have to burn more calories than you eat. If you eat 1410 and 1410 is your bmr, then say you walk 20 minutes and burn 150 calories and you eat them back you will stay the exact same. You have to burn more than you eat. Hope this helps.
  • Lanie42
    Lanie42 Posts: 10
    Options
    And that is where I am so confused. I keep reading never eat below your BMR. So I am okay, just shouldn't eat back exercise calories?

No wonder this is a multi-billion dollar business LOL.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    You have to burn more calories than you eat. If you eat 1410 and 1410 is your bmr, then say you walk 20 minutes and burn 150 calories and you eat them back you will stay the exact same. You have to burn more than you eat. Hope this helps.

No, this is wrong. You are thinking of TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).

BMR = BASAL metabolic rate.

Basal metabolic rate is what you'd burn if you were sleeping all day and all night.

The OP is expending MORE than her BMR simply by getting up and getting dressed and going to work and thinking and so forth......

SOOOOOOOOOOOO......

Totally fine to eat back your exercise calories, OP. You'll still be burning more than you are eating. You're on the right track. Monitor your progress and see how you do. Eat more or less depending on how fast you are losing.

And you can eat below your BMR. It's not going to harm you... not really. But it's a good idea to keep a modest deficit and not eat below your BMR because it makes the diet easier to stick with. You're less likely to binge. You're less likely to feel deprived. And you're most likely to get the array of nutrients you need to stay healthy.
  • Lanie42
    Options

No, this is wrong. You are thinking of TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).

BMR = BASAL metabolic rate.

Basal metabolic rate is what you'd burn if you were sleeping all day and all night.

The OP is expending MORE than her BMR simply by getting up and getting dressed and going to work and thinking and so forth......

SOOOOOOOOOOOO......

Totally fine to eat back your exercise calories, OP. You'll still be burning more than you are eating. You're on the right track. Monitor your progress and see how you do. Eat more or less depending on how fast you are losing.

And you can eat below your BMR. It's not going to harm you... not really. But it's a good idea to keep a modest deficit and not eat below your BMR because it makes the diet easier to stick with. You're less likely to binge. You're less likely to feel deprived. And you're most likely to get the array of nutrients you need to stay healthy.

Thanks!!!!! I think I am doing pretty good in the food department (besides the wine I had yesterday and today),
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    Sorry Its been a long day and was not thinking clearly. I do know what bmr is by the way. I Eat exactly what my bmr is, when I am cutting, however it is very hard and makes you tired. I take supplements to help with the fatigue. Just eat your bmr and you will be fine. I guess what it comes down to is how much weight you want to lose and how fast you want it to come off.
  • Lanie42
    Options
    Sorry Its been a long day and was not thinking clearly. I do know what bmr is by the way. I Eat exactly what my bmr is, when I am cutting, however it is very hard and makes you tired. I take supplements to help with the fatigue. Just eat your bmr and you will be fine. I guess what it comes down to is how much weight you want to lose and how fast you want it to come off.

I hear ya...hence the glasses of wine. Thanks as well.
  • Alamillo55
    Alamillo55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:

Thats what Im Doing....I knew I was on the Right Track!!!