Anyone who's done yoga in a studio...

Options
gogojodee
gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
And does DVDs at home?

I recently moved and the ONE studio that was here closed up shop a couple years ago.

I love the setting and flow of a real class but I don't have the funds to get a bunch a DVDs and I don't want crappy DVDs that I don't like the style/flow.

I typically practice Ashtanga or Iyengar even Ansura. I just don't want a Gaiam DVD or a fitness-y DVD if I don't have to get it. Please keep in mind I have ltd funds so make it a good one! Please. And thanks to those who reply and are understanding.

Replies

• tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    You can sign up at Yogaglo.com for $18 a month. Not sure if that is in your budget or not. But there are hundreds of videos to choose from with lots of styles, instructors, lengths, etc. Even a bunch of guided meditations. They give a 2 week free trial if you want to check it out.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    If you like Iyengar, anything by Rodney Yee is awesome. He does Gaiam DVDs, totally worth it. He does such a wide variety of videos, all you have to do is know what you're looking for. Since you don't want fitness-y, avoid the one he did with Mariel (sp?) Hemingway. Those I didn't enjoy. I have nearly all the DVDs by him, except intermediate and advanced yoga.

Shiva Rhea does a fun DVD, yoga trance dance. I find it very refreshing. Quite different from most other yoga I've ever tried.

I've only ever taken classes with one guy, but I'm looking to find another studio that has more evening classes that are up my alley. But I have TONS of DVDs for yoga. So if you want to know anything specific, send me a message!
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Unfortuantely, I haven't found any DVDs that compare to the studio experience. There's always some weird pose in the DVD or worse, last time I injured my rotator cuff doing a twist your arms thing. I have a Netflix subscription and have only done a couple of yoga videos. There's other workout videos though, so getting Netflix might be worthwhile.

My best yoga sessions outside of the studio have just been on my own while listening to the "yoga station" on Pandora going through whatever poses my body needs at the moment. Oh, if you have an iPhone there's different Yoga apps that will take you though a workout too. Good luck! (and in your new home too!)
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys so much for being awesome! I have been practicing for many years, started off with books, self taught when I was like 9/10 with Beryl Bender Birch, whom is my idol and met yrs ago. I didn't want to resort to DVDs because I felt like it would be "stepping back" to when I first started and I didn't want to feel/be at that place again. The thing is I'm a person that needs structure and I can't freestyle for the life of me!! I'm a former ballerina and can't choregraph for anything!

I appreciate all your suggestions and thanks for being understanding and gentle. I was worried no one would have anything to say or worse judge me, funds wise.

Thanks and blessings for your practices! :]
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I second the Yogaglo recommendation. No, it's not as good as being in the studio. But classes just don't fit into my schedule right now, unfortunately. Since you've been practicing for so long, Yogaglo might work well for you. I've been practicing for years also, so I know the alignment principles and feel that I can keep myself safe.

Yogaglo has lots of Ashtanga and Anusara classes, and lots of more generic "hatha yoga." There are so many classes on there that you can take a different one every week for years, probably, without repeating.