shirataki noodles any one?

Options
Kal_n_130
Kal_n_130 Posts: 119 Member
I bought some today but it all honesty i have no idea what to do with them... Any one have any recipes or any suggestions what to make with them?

Replies

• cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    Do a search, someone on here loves them and eats them regularly
  • lyssaloo
    lyssaloo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of stir-fry's with them. They pretty much absorb the taste of anything you put with them, and they have a nice texture. :smile:
  • Kal_n_130
    Options
    I found some one and added her but nothing on how to cook them, or anything :(
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Made them tonight for the first time. Loved them! I followed what another poster said which was, open and rinse then dry fry in a

pan. Tossed my meat and sauce on. I had the tofu ones. Very interested in finding the non tofu because they are less calories.

Ps When you open them they smell fishy, it's normal. Just rinse and it goes away.
  • Kal_n_130
    Options
    How do u prep them for stir-fry? do u just drain them and then put them in?
  • Kal_n_130
    Options
    I dont know how to cook one bit but im learning, so whats dry fry?
  • bikinibeliever
    Options
    How do u prep them for stir-fry? do u just drain them and then put them in?

Yes, drain them.
  • bikinibeliever
    Options
    Go read the post "Lets talk about Sharitaki noodles"
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    Go read the post "Lets talk about Sharitaki noodles"

Ya that is the post I was thinking of
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Rinse them really well.

Dry fry (ie fry in a teflon style pan with no oil until they dry out). It takes a while.

I like to then add some soy sauce and an egg (so they are kind of fried in the sauce and egg) and then just eat them with stir fried vegetables.

By googling (thanks wikipedia) I discovered that you have tofu based shirtaki noodles in the US. Maybe that's an American invention. Here in Japan they're always made with konjac (a type of yam) and they have virtually no calorie value at all.
  • Kal_n_130
    Options
    Yeah i was reading some post on here about them and i know what im gonna make with them tomorrow i just didnt know what dry fry ment lol :p thank every one :) i hope they turn out, and i like them, It seems to good to be true! lol
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I just rinse them and then dry them in a clean tea towel.

I cut them up roughly with kitchen scissors and use them in place of vermicelli for making Singapore Noodles.

Just this week I served a wok load to visiting family they say the only difference they noticed is that the Sharitaki noodles are tastier than vermicelli because they absorb the flavours of the sauces they are in.

A different version of the konjac noodle is called Konyaku and that comes in a package of many little noodle bundles (like tiny skeins of wool). I add a few bundles when making miso soup - they look fabulous in the soup bowl with the other ingredients and taste great.

I think the people who are disappointed with the shiritake (miracle) noodles are those who have been hoping they can replace spaghetti. I wouldn't even try.
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I seem to remember that "Hungry Girl" uses them alot.
    Just google her and you will get a TON of recipes, for the noodles and many other things.
    Good Luck.