Abdominals after surgery?

Options
Hello
almost 2 years ago I had a radical hysterectomy. I was vertically cut from above my belly button all the way down my stomach. I was wondering if anyone knows will I be able to get the muscle in my abs strengthened? I know I will never have a flat stomach I've been to heavy for too long and I have had 3 kids. Today I worked out on a machine for abs. It felt weird after I was done. I could only do 10 and that was stopping after 5. Can I get back some toning in my abs? thanks.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    The only way to find out is to keep losing fat and see what happens
  • clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I know it's for pelvic floor etc, but the Hab-It dvd by Tasha Mullins is fantastic for your whole core, with no pressure, so would be great for post op too.

Have a google, loads about her out there. I have the dvd due to post birth complications, but it really does improve the core as a whole too.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have had three c-sections, hysterectomy, all with the lovely vertical incision from above navel to pelvic bone. YES, it is possible to gain tone and strength back in your abs, it takes time but YES! it can happen.
  • jannee65
    jannee65 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks. It sounds encouraging that i can do this. i don't need a wash board stomach just want to get more strength in my core. It always been the weakest part of my body. Most of my weight goes into my mid section.
  • clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Then the dvd would really benefit you, she has some fab exercises on there for your bottom and thighs too!
  • SUSIE091
    SUSIE091 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hello
    almost 2 years ago I had a radical hysterectomy. I was vertically cut from above my belly button all the way down my stomach. I was wondering if anyone knows will I be able to get the muscle in my abs strengthened? I know I will never have a flat stomach I've been to heavy for too long and I have had 3 kids. Today I worked out on a machine for abs. It felt weird after I was done. I could only do 10 and that was stopping after 5. Can I get back some toning in my abs? thanks.

hi i had 3 c-sections and a 4th one due to a all removal hysterectomy 3 years ago since jan this year i have been back at the

gym doing strength and cardio training and abs as well and have got a PT to help me too i would say yes but it does take time

am slowly starting to notice a differnence now and they are getting a bit more firmer and stronger still a way to go but will get

there keep going