What is the point of Pilates?

Options
No seriously i LOVE Yoga i get it i love the stretching and flexibility of Yoga but i'm watching the dvd's that i'm preparing to do next week and one of them is a Pilates dvd and i just don't get it. Can someone please explain to me what they get out of it or do i need to take a class to understand the benefits?

Replies

• sailorsiren13
    Options
    wow not one answer funny stuff
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I personally like Pilates better than yoga. For me the benefits have been increased core strength, balance and flexibility. When I do Pilates regularly, I carry better posture over into my daily life and my stomach appears flatter, because I tend to hold my core tighter. It also helps me when strength training or cardio, because the focus on each movement means I have better form and get more out of the exercises.
  • GettingFit145
    Options
    I also like Pilates a lot. Along with the mention of the core strength, flexibility, balance - there is so much toning. Further the actual difference in how you stand and carry yourself is great. One of the biggest benefits for me was that my chiropractor said I could stop coming to him. My back and neck muscles were strengthened as a result of Pilates and were supporting my skeletal system. I could actually feel it! Many pro athletes and sports figures incorporate Pilates into their work-out routines. I personally found tons of benefits from it!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Someone has to fly the plane.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    yoga = flexibility
    pilates = strength
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I think Pilates is better than yoga. I personally find yoga extremely boring. Pilates uses a lot of strength to me, and yoga just seems like stretching.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I think Pilates is better than yoga. I personally find yoga extremely boring. Pilates uses a lot of strength to me, and yoga just seems like stretching.

I agree with this
  • stevebone88
    Options
    The yoga I've been into for the last couple of years has done wonders for my flexibility and balance. It has also helped me gain strength. Even my weight lifting has improved through yoga. I took my first Pilates class 2 weeks ago, then again this week. It hits muscle groups in ways that yoga and weights have apparently missed. I was so sore the next 4 days, incredible. There are several different types of Pilates workouts, from mat to more complex methods involving equipment. I'm sticking to mat Pilates for a while. I recommend it, highly. The instructor I got seems to concentrate on the abs and hips, major core workout. I've pnly been to this one but I'm happy so far. Give it a chance.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    Ok i will give it a try i just get really antsy and it's hard for me to sit still but i will do my best! I do need all the core i can get especially if it will help with my endurance for running. :smile:
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    My physiotherapist recommended Pilates to strengthen my core to help prevent running injuries, particularly with my leg length discrepancy.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    pilates focuses on core strength as the basis for movement in the body. Strengthen the core.. and the rest of the body follows
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Pilates helps core strength and posture. It has actually helped me straighten out my scoliosis a bit.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If your not doing it regularly - Yoga hurts a bit... Pilates hurts a lot LOL

I see (personal view of it) Pilates as closest you'll get to strength training without weights or a gym.

I also see the scale of working/benefiting your mind & soul vs physical training going from:
    tai chi
    yoga
    pilates

They all have a focus but the focus is different though I think Yoga is a middle ground of both.

:)