Exercise with back pain

Options
Hi

I am considerably unfit at the moment (get out of breath running up more than one fight of stairs or running for bus!). I suffer with back pain so I'm worrying about exercising. I know it will help me in the long run, but just wanted to know if anyone else has embarked on a weightloss/fitness journey with back pain and what was your experience?

At the moment my 'regime' consists of the occasional 30min - 1hr walk! (my back starts to hurt a lot after 30mins of walking). I am going to start swimming twice a week as I've done that in the past and it helped.

I am considering buying a bike as I live near a canal and I am keen start cycling along the towpath, not sure if this would make my back pain better or worse?

Any advice/tips would be appreciated :)

Thanks!
xxx

Replies

• nickiw68
    nickiw68 Posts: 71
    Options
    I have had a back problem for a number of years, on and off.

I started my keep fit regime last March and since then have lost almost 2 stone. But unfortunately, in December my back started playing up again and I have been in pain more or less ever since with it. I have kept up with the exercise most of the time, up until really last weekend when my back pain took a turn for the worse.

I understand that moderate exercise is good for a bad back as it keeps you mobile, but I am strugglnig aswell at the moment as to knowing what to do, and I have to say it is really getting me down knowing that I cannot do the exercsie that I want to.

My problem is a bulging disc (I think) and I cannot sit for long periods, well longer than about 10 minutes anyway.

I would also be keen to hear what others have to say about exercising with a bad back please :)

Bearing in mind that the pain is sometimes so great you can't even contemplate exercising

Nicki
  • GraceK2012
    GraceK2012 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with my back for many years, with a lot of bulging discs and bad vertebrae. I'm just beginning to work at getting back in shape as a lot of medical issues [my back included] have kept me sedentary for too long.
    I'm beginning by focusing on walking right now.
    What I've found in the past is that the Prevention DVD workouts are very good ones for me. Many of the ones the Chris Freytag does are good, although some are higher impact than others. I also did well with Ellen Barrett's toning DVD
    One of the most important things I've found regarding exercise is that I can't tolerate any impact whatever. So I adapt and modify aerobic programs if I have to, and I was still able to work my way through all her workouts.
    And while core exercises are very important for me, I've found functional exercises are very good. Many work your core at all angles very well, even if they're not listed as 'core training.'
    When I've been a bit more fit than I am now, I have been able to do strength training with weights, and I've enjoyed working out with kettlebells a lot. I've been able to increase the weights surprisingly quickly. The important part has always been to begin with very light weights and to not add weight too quickly. Once the muscles surrounding my back got stronger, I was able to do a lot more. It's very much worth the effort and the patience as well.
    But right now, I'm still at the careful walking at a 3mph stage. Baby steps. Careful baby steps.
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    Unfortunately this is a subject that I know all to well. I have had two lower back surgeries....I recently had a scare that I would need a third....Luckily it turned out not to be the case...but that was the last straw for me and decided to get in shape.

Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home programs are the best. She has a number of DVD's out there that have you walking. She also has DVD's that have you do some arm work as well. You can do as little as 1 mile up to 5 miles.

It would be best to check with your doctor to see what exercises would be best for you to do. I know with my back I am never going to be able to do the Insanity or P90X workouts or whatever they are called. I have started with the Biggest Loser workouts but I watch what I do and do modified versions of the workouts when necessary.

It's best to do something than nothing.....each person is different. Again, I would check with your doctor for recommendations on what to do first....but walking is a great first step.

Another really big thing you need to consider is your footwear as you are exercising....make sure you have proper sneaker on your feet as you are walking. That is so important. And it is best that if you are exercising regularly to make sure that you change your sneakers regularly. If you use them every day then your sneakers have a life of about three months. After that they start to loose the support you really need as you are exercising....so please be mindful of that as well.

All the best to you.....I really can sympathise with your situation. :flowerforyou:
  • munchlax65
    Options
    Thanks guys, thats really helpful and its nice to know I'm not alone (although I am really sorry to hear about everyone elses back problems). It can be so depressing and because its a problem that people don't see sometimes others don't understand how hard it is.

I'm starting physio next week so I'll speak to them as see what they can suggest. Other than that I guess all I can do is take it steady. Managed to walk 1hr 40mins this afternoon though without too much trouble which I am pleased about.

Thanks again! xx
  • GraceK2012
    GraceK2012 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    That's great that you were able to walk for so long this afternoon. I'm hoping to be able to take a couple of hour-long walks a day soon and I know that will help me feel better.

I know what you mean about the difficulty in getting others to realize a bad back is a real problem, very painful and debilitating and with potentially serious consequences. You need to take good care of yourself regardless.

I hope the physio goes well next week and you find you're able to work well with whoever is in charge of helping you with this.

Yes, take it easy, pay attention to how various activities feel to you, be careful as you go around. And you can get better over time. I hope you're able to feel stronger and more able-bodied very soon.
  • munchlax65
    Options
    Thank you. Its really frustrating having to think before I do certain activities, I've always just been able to get on and do whatever I want but I have to listen to my body more now. I am trying to push myself a little further each day though, and when I go for a walk try to go just a little bit further each time and see how my back and legs feel.

Thanks again for your words of encouragement :flowerforyou:
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I think the causes and effects are so wide & varied it might be very hit & miss to draw conclusions from other's experiences.

However having said that, I have a sway back & suffer from chronic mild to moderate pain with occasional bouts of severe & rare very severe completely put me out of action type stuff.

Doing cardio with no real focus doesn't help no matter how long or how often. Doing focused training of any description seems to help & I think Yoga & Pilates helps a lot. BUT I find if I'm slack for a month or more and then go back and train again, then I pay big time for anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks before I see the improvement. I mean not exruciating but definitely I'd say 20-50% worse pain during that first few weeks of doing focused training again. If I consistently train then I have little to no problems.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I've had terrible back issues, nerve damage, and although I love riding my bike I can't do it for long no matter how heavy I am. It cause back pain for me. I've found when i'm hurting badly the best thing to do is just Walk.

I lift weight but with machines because they are very 2 dimensional and are made to support the back if used properly. I struggle doing body weight exercise right now like squats and lunges because of my back but once my strength is built up I know it will get easier.

I say lots of walking to start till you get your weight down and do some strength training if possible.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    oh and I can not do yoga or pilates ever never.... i've tried but it kills my back, I also have a sway in my back.

try rolling a small towel and putting it under the tail bone as you lie down it takes so much pressure off of my back.
  • majaminceva
    Options
    I have low back pain too. I'm trying to ride my elliptical trainer, but after that my pain is getting back. I found a useful site on internet. There are many useful things, such as good and bad exercises for low back pain.
    http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/lower-back-pain-10/slideshow-exercises
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If you can walk, then walk. Listen to your Doctor and your back.. I sympathise, I have two blown discs in my back which are luckily not aggravating nerves at the moment, but I have had to have people help me on and off the loo when they first went 7 years ago... I can now do fairly hefty stuff, like run and heavy gardening, look after my horses etc BUT I cannot stand no way no how completely seize up after 2-3 minutes... Ho hum.
  • munchlax65
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I guess everyone has had a different experience with back pain and how they manage it and work out. My back went about a month ago and is stabilising now, even managed to help my chap paint a few fence panels today (I propped the panels on a chair so I didn't have to bend). As long as the pain isnt too severe and the activity you are doing won't make it worse, there are always ways round doing things.

At the moment I can walk for about 30mins - 1hr without it hurting, stand for about 5-10mins. As for sitting, I find if I keep moving every 30mins or so it helps as does doing piriformis stretches while seated. I can manage light housework and gardening but have to be really careful. Luckily my fella is really kind and understanding and helps out around the house a lot.

In the past when I have been fitter and exercising regularly I have found my back pain gets much better. I guess my biggest problem is I am pretty lazy when it comes to exercise and not very confident as I worry about hurting my back. Just taking it one step at a time though and motivating myself by thinking of how my back pain could get better if I am fitter.

Thanks for all your comments, much appreciated and again, nice to know Im not alone.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i had an injury to my back earlier on and had to take physical therapy for it. Training with heavy weights has actually helped me get better. I used to have tingling and numbness and i barely feel it at all anymore. Squats is really good for this. Just make sure you have the form down completely before doing it with a heavier weight. Look for videos online.
  • eskimite
    eskimite Posts: 56
    Options
    Here's to those of us who are not letting chronic back pain get in the way of working out and being fit!

Great advice from others! For me, what has always been important is to make sure I watch my form, focus on core-building, and listen to my body (especially the day after a new type of workout). I try to do a mix of different exercise types, from yoga and pilates to kickboxing, Zumba, circuit training with weights (with careful attention to form) to body weight training. Stretching is also critical, so I try to stretch as many times per day as possible. I love running, biking and swimming, but have pretty much had to give them all up (at least for the past few years) since engaging in them appears to put enormous strain on the areas of my back/pelvis that are weak-->excruciating pain. Oh well...I focus on what I can do and take joy in it!
  • munchlax65
    Options
    I think I am worried about some activities because often my back will just suddenly 'go' and its scarily painful when it happens. However I am going to start trying cycling/swimming and see how it goes!

Would love to be able to start jogging but I don't think its a good idea at the moment. Perhaps eventually! I don't think I could do weights at the moment as lifting things seems to make my problem worse. Who knows though? Will def speak to my physio about ideas to strengthen my core muscles.

Cheers :)
  • kaspily
    kaspily Posts: 24
    Options
    I blew two discs in my back and it has been a long recovry for me. I think the bike riding may be beneficial for you. I found that I needed to have a more upright bike and couldn't do the mountain bike or road bike style. Giant makes a ladies bike (Sedona) where you sit more vertically. I have had good success with that. Also, have you considered swimming? This is a great workout and helps take some of the pressure of your sore back.
  • munchlax65
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your blown discs, hope you are recovered now. I will look into a more upright bike and will make a note of the Giant Sedona make. I am going to start swimming next week with my chaps mum as she is keen to get fit as well. I love swimming and find it very relaxing (although I do look like a bit of a tellytubbie in my swimsuit at the moment!)
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great suggestions. I really like the link. Thanks for sharing.:flowerforyou: