Antibiotics cause gain?

Options
I asked this in another forum and didn't get much attention, so maybe this forum is better for this type of question?

Anyways I'm just wandering if anyone know's if these can cause weight gain while on them? I'm sure they don't cause fat gain, but can they cause water retention, which translates to increases on the scale? I'm taking 2 of them since saturday and i've steadily went up a little everyday since then. I'm up about 3lbs compared to my low weight on sunday.

Again i'm just wandering if they can cause water gain? Anyone else have this issue before or any medical people know? If it is the case i'm know it will go back down after getting off them later next week, but I'm just curious. Thanks for any info

One of them is Cipro if that helps any.

Replies

• Shondatingting
    Options
    I did a quick Google search and it looks like fluid retention is an infrequent side effect of Cipro. I also saw some other folks were complaining about bloating and swelling after taking Cipro for a couple days. Honestly, I skimmed the info so you can google cipro + water retention if you want more info or look up the side effects of Cipro. You can also call your local pharmacy and ask. Hope that helped some! :)
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I was mainly just looking to see if anyone on mfp has had issues such as mine. I will do more research off the site for my curiosity.

Thanks for the info.
  • slightlycrunchy
    slightlycrunchy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes, abx can cause weight gain due to water retention. So can whatever you're taking them for.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    It's probably whatever you're taking the antibiotics for that is making you gain. Just in my experience, I had an infected tooth and was up about 9lbs. After getting antibiotics in my system for a bit, I dropped back down to my regular weight in only a matter of a week.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I swear any medication I take makes me retain water. From Advil to antibiotics. I'm not sure how common it is, but it happened to me a year or so ago when I was on antibiotics when they had to extract a wisdom tooth (emergency extraction). I personally think it is just how each person's body reacts to any medication. Mine does not react well and I usually see a weight gain regardless of what I'm taking (I seriously see an increase when I take Advil for too many days in a row!).
  • turbophoenix
    Options
    I got ridiculously sick a few weeks ago and it turned out I had a stomach virus AND a UTI at the same time (lucky me!) Anyway - the doc put me on Cipro and I went from being down 5 pounds from being so sick to up 6 pounds. I'd be willing to bet it had to do with the antibiotics but I think my post illness diet had something to do with it too (lots of crackers, ginger ale, broth...)
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I really beleive they are causing water weight now. I'm pretty anal about weighing myself every morning and I can almost tell you what my weight will be the nite before lol. I wish I could just throw the scale in the trash anyways, it causes all kinds of problems that I know but can't stop. I have literally had a change in mood after weighing myself in the morning lol. So any increase causes me to wander why.
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have been having steady weight gain since January.

Last Tuesday I started antibiotics for an infected ulcer on my leg and at weigh in on Thursday I had stayed exactly the same dispite changing nothing in my diet. Today I am nearly 1kg up since Thursday.

Saw the doctor today to get new antibiotics and to have the leg checked and she confirmed that it is possible for their to be some weight gain. She explained that it is relating to the good bacteria in the gut being killed off and this can affect how your body uses sugars.

Hopefully I am not on them too long and can get back to the numbers going down and not up.

Weight loss is forever and the ulcer should only be short term so I will just have to keep doing what I am doing and know that it will pay off in the end.
  • hanky1
    hanky1 Posts: 39
    Options
    i was on amoxicillin for 5 days due to an infected tooth and i gained a couple of pounds, despite being on a soup-heavy diet! the next week i had lost it again :)
  • snookybear
    Options
    Well that explains the last 2 weeks! I was blaming the Chocolate & Hot cross buns
  • Hemi87
    Hemi87 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Antibiotics like amoxicillin and ciprofloxacin used to treat bacterial aliments of all kinds, also inhibit the reproduction of the good and normally occurring bacteria (our body's normal flora) that reside in our digestive tract and help to digest foods - among other beneficial things. I would guess that this disruption for you is a part of your weight gain. Probably water retention to an extent too. I would try taking some yogurt (with active cultures) as a probiotic while on antibiotics.
  • KimKramer
    KimKramer Posts: 44
    Options
    Antibiotics like amoxicillin and ciprofloxacin used to treat bacterial aliments of all kinds, also inhibit the reproduction of the good and normally occurring bacteria (our body's normal flora) that reside in our digestive tract and help to digest foods - among other beneficial things. I would guess that this disruption for you is a part of your weight gain. Probably water retention to an extent too. I would try taking some yogurt (with active cultures) as a probiotic while on antibiotics.

Totally agree!! as wonderful as an antibiotic is it can also throw our system off......personally I get very constipated on Amoxicillin and dread when my doc puts me on it! Feel better soon :)
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I was on some antibiotics a few months ago. I noticed they sapped my strength a little bit and made me feel a little crummy, but I didn't notice any weight gain or stalling of weight loss. Maybe because I didn't stop my lifting routine and you retain water from that anyway. I suppose it could make you retain more water though. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's just water. Water comes and goes all the time.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Not really. I also drop weight when I'm really sick so I'd be a bad example.
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    While the side effects of some meds is water retention, your body will also retain fluids naturally when you are sick, stressed, you name it. Also, I know when I am sick, I don't drink as much water as I normally do and that also contributes. May I suggest you try weighing yourself no more than once a week - stressing about those numbers is not doing you any favors. Hope you feel better soon.:flowerforyou:
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options

Totally agree!! as wonderful as an antibiotic is it can also throw our system off......personally I get very constipated on Amoxicillin and dread when my doc puts me on it! Feel better soon :)

And if you eat yogurt while taking them your flora remain balanced
  • Funshinerika
    Options
    I'm glad I found your post. I have been taking cipro for a week now (just took last one this morning) and have gone up three pounds over the week despite drinking tons of water, exercising and eating pretty well. My stomach has felt really bloated this week, too. I think that it's just something that has to be waited out (no pun intended). :)
    Hopefully you feel better and you will see a difference shortly. I plan on continuing to stay on track and see how I do in a couple days.
    Oh, one other thing, so I'm applying for life insurance and now that I've dropped 30 pounds, I fit into the preferred plan! BUT... it's only by a pound. lol. Sooo hopefully this weight from the antibiotics will pass by the time they do the physical.
    Good luck to you on your journey.
  • belinda_b
    belinda_b Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I searched this topic as this is what is happening to me right now. I have been maintaining my weight for more than 6 months and I am eating the same as always, I started antibiotics on Sunday and the scale went up this week. I definitely think its water rentention, but, at the risk of sounding gross, could also be the body holding onto crap. lol. thats my thought anyway. I am off them after tomorrow so we shall see. I wil be taking probiotics to replenish some of that good bacteria I lost.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I just read sooooo much online because my weight has been strangely stalled for weeks and weeks and I just realized its been since I've been on antibiotics! Convinced now. What a pain in the *kitten*. Here's one article that lays it out pretty well http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-problems-with-antibiotics-they-kill-the-good-guys-and-make-you-fat/#axzz1z7bjsQEZ
  • TerresaTate
    TerresaTate Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So happy to find this post!!! I had a root canal on Thursday and now that it is Monday I am up 3.5 pounds - I was thinking WHAT'S up!!! I think I will be at the grocery store soon for some probiotics - the good ones they keep REFRIGERATED. I still have a few days to go, darn tooth! My mouth is still sore because I am grinding my teeth at night. Found my night guard to help out here too. thanks again.