1400 calorie diet - what % fat, cabs and protein etc.

Options
Hi I am on my second week of 1400 calories and have been pretty much sticking to it.

I have not stood on the scales but have been exercise 4 times a week and can feel a difference already :-)

I have been search the internet today and wondered whether the % of carbs, fat and protein takes into much consideration your weight loss or is it more of a calorie count? I know that when I did weight watchers, it was all under points/calories/sat fats etc., so just wondered that as long as I stay inside my 1400 calories regardless of whether its full of fruit and veg or going to the extreme of crisps and chocolate! Would I still lose weight sticking to 1400 calories?

Just wondered if the percentage of carbs, fat and protein had much impact on the weightloss?

Many thanks

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Calories is what matters for weight loss, the breakdown of macro nutrients will only have a very slight impact. That being said to be healthy you should have a good balance of Fat, carbs and protein from natural sources.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Most people need a balanced plan 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% healthy fats. I know that MFP sets these lower . I went into my setting and found out that I can change them and that is what I did for mine
  • ProTFitness
    Options
    Calories is what matters for weight loss, the breakdown of macro nutrients will only have a very slight impact. That being said to be healthy you should have a good balance of Fat, carbs and protein from natural sources.

Yes it does come down to What kind and how much calories your taking in and how much and calories your burning
  • erickirb
    Options
    Most people need a balanced plan 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% healthy fats. I know that MFP sets these lower . I went into my setting and found out that I can change them and that is what I did for mine

Where did you come up with those numbers. a balance diet consists of 45-60% carbs, 10-30% protein, 15-30% fat. Anywhere in there is considered balance. 40% carbs would be considered a reduced carb diet (not low carb just reduced carb)
  • erickirb
    Options
    Yes it does come down to What kind and how much calories your taking in and how much and calories your burning

Sorry but a calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss or at least 90% of weight loss is due to caloric intake and expenditure regardless of the source of the calorie
  • ProTFitness
    Options

Sorry but a calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss or at least 90% of weight loss is due to caloric intake and expenditure regardless of the source of the calorie

All calories are not created equal.
  • oxFaithxo
    oxFaithxo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i like this debate... so just let me understand...

we have 2 people who weigh the same, workout on the same schedule BUT:

one person eats cake, icecream, pop, and donuts everyday but only eats 1300 calories worth

another person eats fruits, veggies, water, lean meat everyday and only eats 1300 calories worth

you mean to tell me they will loss weight at about the same rate...
  • Loobyloo36
    Options
    i like this debate... so just let me understand...

we have 2 people who weigh the same, workout on the same schedule BUT:

one person eats cake, icecream, pop, and donuts everyday but only eats 1300 calories worth

another person eats fruits, veggies, water, lean meat everyday and only eats 1300 calories worth

you mean to tell me they will loss weight at about the same rate...

Very good question!

Would love to know the answer to this one as I do have a tendancy to eat sugar things most days even though I do stick to mainly healthy food.

I have been exercise 3-5 times a week and sticking to 1400-1500 calories a day. I originally used the automated method on here but it kept telling me to eat 1270 kcals a day but I just couldnt live with that so I put in my own measurements and as you say you can alter these yourself.

Sooooooo........ if I am eating aprox 1450 kcals a day, can some really clever person help me out here please :-) and tell me what percentage in grams should my fat, carbs and protein be to lose say 1lb a week?

Thanks
  • oxFaithxo
    oxFaithxo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was kind of being extreme but if "a calorie is a calorie" then my equation would technically be right... BUT i know it cant be...

i am with you... someone answer... i would LOVE to eat a cookie without feeling guilty as long as i stay within my 1330 calories
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Theoretically you would be correct, however, the one eatting all the crap will feel like crap and won't be healthy. The other one will have plenty of energy and be healthy. Your choice.

You CAN eat a cookie once in a while, just work it into your diary. You are not on a diet, and you have to learn how to work the bad stuff in with the good. I wouldn't want to live if I couldn't have a goodie now and then!
  • Loobyloo36
    Options
    I do try to eat well an I certainly do feel like crap when I just eat crap :-) I just try to eat loads of fruit and the usual brown rice/bread etc., and if I fancy some maltersers I will have them - my downside is that I tend to go for a bigger bag and eat the lot!!!!
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    every diet is different

i have a bout 5 to 10% carbs a day and thats usually 20-30 grams... anmd i got with high fat and protien. i stick to about 1500-1800 calories (Im on 1500 calories at moment) and i eat what i want once a week taking in about 3500 to 4000 calories on that day (some people do it for 2 days)

so far the diet is working
  • I_amnr
    Options

your body reacts in very different ways to nutrients

dont have a enough protien and you loose muscle and your bmr drops so your lose weight
    reducing carbs also cuts out water retnetion and your bodies metabolisms works differently
    if you are a guy you need high fat as it helps in testosterone production which will help you at the gym
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The answer to the OP is that it depends.

If you are overweight then really it's about calories in versus calories out. You can eat a diet high in junk food and still lose weight. Check out this link in relation to a college professor who lost 27lbs doing just that:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

However, as you transistion from normal to a lean physique (if that is your eventual goal) then the quality of what you are eating really starts to matter. As someone said previously all calories are not created equal. However, this won't be of concern to many people as I sincerely doubt they are really that interested in an athletic or competition physique.

As for macro nutrient breakdown then a well balanced diet is really best suited for the average dieter. That would be about 50% carbs - 60% carbs, about 20 - 30% protein, 10% - 20% fat. I am with Tom Venuto on this one I would go for a 55% carb, 30% protein and 15% fat breakdown is best if you can stick to it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Sooooooo........ if I am eating aprox 1450 kcals a day, can some really clever person help me out here please :-) and tell me what percentage in grams should my fat, carbs and protein be to lose say 1lb a week?

Thanks

I'll assume that 1,450 calories is the correct level of calories for you to lose 1lb a week and you have decided to follow a 50% carb, 30% protein, 20% fat diet.

There are 4 calories per gram of carbs & protein and 9 calories per gram of fat.

Therefore:

1450 calories x 0.50 / 4 = 181grams of carbs roughly
    1450 calories x 0.30 / 4 = 109 grams of protein roughly
    1450 calories x 0.20 / 9 = 32 grams of fat roughly
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    In general, I think that, for weight loss, you should start out with your absolute amount of protein (not a percentage) and work from there. Most of the research I have seen recommends a protein intake of 1.0-1.5 g of protein per kg body weight. I saw another study that recommended a minimum of 100g of protein per day, regardless of body size. Within those parameters, you will see a wide swing of percentages which is why I recommend using the absolute amount rather than a percentage.

Next, set your fat percentage, which is usually recommended at 15% - 30% of total calories. What's left is carbohydrate. You can adjust this as necessary for your particular needs. The 55%-30%-15% ratio is a pretty good one, but more for those following a lower-calorie plan (e.g. less than 1500 calories). I think if you go higher in calories you will likely need less protein (as a percentage of total) and more fats and carbs.

During my program I was doing a substantial volume of exercise, so I found that going below 55% carbs just left me wasted and not able to recover from daily workouts. What worked for me was 55%-60% carbs, 15% protein and 25%-30% fat, but, again, my situation was a little different.

Most people do not need to spend a lot of time or mental energy on macronutrient ratios. Set up a basic plan according to the above guidelines and spend your time and energy making good meals and staying consistent. You can be successful with a lot of different plans.
  • I_amnr
    Options
    Sorry .. I meant if u don't get enough protein... you will lose muscle and your BMR will drop so u will start losing less weight
    Plus some foods fill you up more..so u will of course eat less through out the day

at the moment I'm doing an anabolic ketogenic diet
    1500 cals on 6 days of the week and 4000 cals one day a week
    On the 6 days I have 20 to 30 grams of Carb and I eat anything I want on one day a week . cake, pizza, anything goes.... and it has worked perfectly for me ... I'm went from 108 to 95.5 kg from Sep 3rd till the 22nd of January ..
    Also do a 45 mins work out 5 to 6 times a week

It's not suited for everyone though
    Endurance athletes would rather go for high Carb , low far diet
    For rapid weight lose with or even adding muscle with out putting on weight go for low Carb, high fat and protein diets
  • Live2InspireHope
    Live2InspireHope Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I_amnr my doctors are putting me on a diet much like yours i am going 1400 cals 150+ protein then they want me under 60 carbs a day. may i ask you how you balence all of that or anyone i am new to this whole mess i have been doing lots of internet reading this last week i feel it will easy to do the cals and protien but hard to keep the Carbs that low. any advice thanks

Dan
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I had to lower my carbs. Nothing crazy just 45%.
  • marcia950
    marcia950 Posts: 3
    Options
    How many carbs-protein-and fat are in a 1400 calorie diet..I can't find mine that I got in the hospital and I have type 2 diabetes?pease email me at bshep@sbcglobal.net thank you so very much..Marcia:flowerforyou: