New puppy and housebreaking help?

Options
kate_sunflower
kate_sunflower Posts: 152 Member
I just got Tucker, my 12 week old Cavachon, 2 days ago and I am planning on training him to use a pee pad for a while. Does anyone else here have a dog that is successful in peepad training? Any suggestions? Here's a pic of him below - hope you fall in love with his face as much as I did!

tucker.jpg

Replies

• 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Awww..... It just takes patience and consistency. Much like parenting. I had good luck with crate training.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Teaching him to pee on a pad is pretty confusing to a dog that is already notoriously hard to housebreak. You're teaching him to go inside the house.
    It can be done but it is hard. Do you crate him?
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    He's sooo CUTE!! :heart:
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend teaching him to pee on a pee pad. When he gets bigger, you'll have to retrain him to go outside. I've trained 2 pits bulls from 6 weeks of age to go outside. It's rough on you for the first few days but they will catch on really quick. Every hour or two hours for the first week or so, I would get up, take them outside and wait for them to go pee, congratulate them and we would go back to bed. Like I said, it's hard on you at first with the sleep deprivation but after a few days, they'll wake you up whining, wanting to go outside to pee. :yawn:
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    we got a bull dog pup in january, pee pads are useless. it just tells them that its ok to pee in the house. so i took her out every 2 hours to start, or right after she ate or right after playing with our other dog. good luck..
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just give lots and lots of praise every time your pup performs where you want it too, and ignore mistakes (even though its hard), doggies love to please, treats are great too, our youngest is almost 4 and 1/2 and still expects one when she has had a wee in the garden!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    It's better to train them to go outside, I trained my Jack Russell from 8 weeks, just means letting them out every hour or two and praising them for using outside. Maybe give him a treat when he goes and comes back in the house. :)
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    not gonna be helpfull at all but AWWWW SO CUTE :) heheh (my pups name is tucker too)
  • kate_sunflower
    Options
    He's definitely going to be crate trained. We've always crate trained our dogs. and when I'm away at work he's going to be baby gated in the kitchen laundry room area.
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Iwork in the veterinary field and peepads are confusing. They don`t know the difference between a peepad, paper, a cusion that fell on the floor, a rug, carpet or anything else. I have a couple of clients that it kinda worked for awhile. If you want him to go inside and not outside ever... I suggest using a litter box, the consistency is totally diferent from anything else that could be in your house. Otherwise, if you want him to go outside later, I suggest just doing it now or you may forever have housetraining issues. I hope this helps!!
    ps: totally adorable, congradulations on your new furbaby!!!
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    and crate training is great!!!
  • NomiS6
    NomiS6 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would invest in a crate / cage, cover over with blankets to make it into a place your pup feels safe and calm.
    Never use the crate as a punishment.
    Your pup will be unwilling to mess in it's own space so use when you go out.
    Have crated all our pup's over the years, the longest we used one was for our brown labrador, 6 months but well orth it.
  • kate_sunflower
    Options
    Alright well then I guess I'd have to have a dog walker come every 3 hours or so instead of once a day when I am away at work. I was hoping for pee pad training because of my job and I live in an apartment (I am an auditor and I usually work for about 9 hour days). I can afford dog walkers no problem but I was hoping he'd be able to go on the pee pad so he wouldn't have to hold it.

Ah this is tough now.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I tried to use a peepad when we got our puppy. It confused the heck out of her. When we took her to it and told her to "go potty" she looked at us like we were crazy.

We left it there for a bit and she went back to it and shredded it. I don't think she liked it.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Alright well then I guess I'd have to have a dog walker come every 3 hours or so instead of once a day when I am away at work. I was hoping for pee pad training because of my job and I live in an apartment (I am an auditor and I usually work for about 9 hour days). I can afford dog walkers no problem but I was hoping he'd be able to go on the pee pad so he wouldn't have to hold it.

Ah this is tough now.

Look up about housebreaking him with a crate. Its the best way to do it.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    We just got a 9 week old puppy (Schnauzer/Chihuahua mix). I bought some peepads and it wasn't helpful at all. It's a pain in the butt sometimes especially at night but I take her out every 2 hours during the day and at night, every 3 hours or when I hear her moving around (she sleeps in her bed on the floor next to my side). Definitely brings me back to when my boys were babies- many nights of little sleep. Cleaning up her accidents is a pain too but nothing hot water, soap and Febreeze can't handle. :wink: Again, I'm reminded of when I was potty training my boys. Lol! Good luck to ya!
  • kate_sunflower
    Options
    Yeah our family dog Darby looks at her crate as a safe haven and that's what I'm going to do with Tucker. He's gotten so attached to me so fast I tried to walk out of my apartment for a minute to see what happened and he freaked. Good thing I took off work all next week to work with him because we'll have to ease him into the crate and confinement area. I don't want to traumatize the little guy!
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    We have a Pomeranian and a Toy Fox Terrier. We got them together at 8wks old each and in the early days, we did train them to use the pee pads. With this experience and hindsight, we made a mistake using the pads. As the previous posters have said, you're teaching them that its OK to go inside. 18mths later, i'm still fighting to get them to go outside because now I've taken the pads away, they figure its OK to pee where the pad used to be or on any mat or rug that vaguely resembles the pee pad!! It's infuriating but I couldn't continue to pay for the pee pads (which get expensive - at least $1 a day in Australia assiming they only use it once a day!) and we don't want the constant smell of the soiled pads in our newly renovated house!!

Trust me... If you can avoid letting them go inside the house in the first place its much better!
  • BizReynoldsS
    Options
    I've trained 2 puppies (at different times).. a lab and border collie. I used a crate, started off in my bedroom at night, so they are near you.. they'll whine. Then after a week moved them down the hall and eventually into the mudroom (big entrance) As soon as they come out of the crate you take them to pee ( I used a leash ) and reward with treats , even now my 5 year old border collie can pee on demand and she goes in the same spot in the yard, easier to clean up! You have to be consistent and exercise them.. I would take them for a walk, crate for a nap, then as soon as they woke up, take them outside again to do their business. Crates make them feel safe and they usually will not mess in their beds. :) Good luck! P.S. IMO Pee pads just confuse them, make sure the dog understands right away outside is where they go.
    BTW - Tucker is adorable!
  • kate_sunflower
    Options
    I tried to use a peepad when we got our puppy. It confused the heck out of her. When we took her to it and told her to "go potty" she looked at us like we were crazy.

We left it there for a bit and she went back to it and shredded it. I don't think she liked it.

Haha he started to pull it out of the holder and chew on it! Plus his breeder was Amish and he was raised on 20 acres and now he's living in Washington DC... talk about country mouse city mouse haha he's adjusting really well though!