Exercise on a busy Schedule

Options
Hello,

Ok so I love to workout not a problem. However, I am a medstudent so time is tight. I signed up because I've gained 20 lbs in the last 3 mo mainly becauseI am having trouble adjusting to my ever changing schedule. This week I have a final on friday so I tend to stress out and eat very unhealthy snacks as well as stopping my workout routines. If I do go to the gym for my usual routine I get very anxious because I have a lot to study and leave before finishing. Any suggestions on something I can do during the weeks when I have finals to keep me in shape, less stressed and keep me from gaining all the weight I lost previously or gaining more? I thought about shorter 20 min workout routines during study breaks. Lets face it I probably waste more time on Facebook.

Thank you!

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    no one here can find time for you to work out. if you really want to work out, you'll make time.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30 day shred and in 20 minutes I sweat more than during some of my hour work outs. Also for like 100 bucks you can get the gazelle elliptical machine and use that while you are watching TV. It really helped me a lot when I was getting back into work outs.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I work 84 hours + every week and find time. If you can't, you dont want it badly enough. :ohwell:
  • katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 30 Day Shred. 22 minutes and you are done! It's basically HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). A lot of bang for your buck :)

Good Luck.
  • lottie_28
    lottie_28 Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm a med student too, I'm only in my second year though so I'm probably not as busy as you!

I like to plan out a working schedule, with breaks, so I don't feel guilty about exercising in my breaks as I know I wouldn't be working then anyway. It doesn't need to be a gym or anything.

I do sit ups and press ups in the morning when I wake up, and in the evening before I go to bed. I started off with 20 of each and am now doing 80 at a time! (I increase by 5 each week).

I will also have breakfast, revise for an hour and a half, and then go for a jog (I'm doing the couch to 5k), come back, shower etc etc. I work again and have a break for lunch, work again, and then have a break to do some yoga... which is very relaxing, and a bit of a workout :)

That makes a fair bit of exercise in my day, and when I work it into my schedule I still have time to do about 8 hours of revision a day :) Also on that schedule I am maintaining my weight on 1800 calories per day.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    You're going to food and to facebook for an emotional lift. Make the choice to go for a run instead. It may be legit that you can't do more than 20 minutes on working out at a time, so don't waste your time driving to the gym. Just, when you go for that comfort food, decide you can have it after at least a 20 minute run. You might not want it after that.

And go to nerdfitness.com and read the article from this week on why people suck at losing weight. Read it. Follow it. Sign up for the rebellion. Gotta have some light-heartedness in your life.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I maintain a ridiculous schedule most days. I sometimes have to just make a workout fit in. Sometimes I do just like you said and squeeze in mini workouts...ie....when doing endless laundry I will climb by basement stairs 10 times, do 50 jumping jacks between loads...do 10 pushups after folding 10 pieces of clothes etc....sometimes I will do a 20 minute DVD or hit a 2 mile run...less than 20 minutes. If I do something short I make sure the intensity is big so that I still get my HR up...shoot last night I did a 2 mile run to the chicken place (hubby wanted chicken I didn't even get anything) and then did bicep curls with the heavy chicken bag for the 1/2 mile walk home...my neighbors already think I am crazy....that 30 minutes was the only open time I had all day...but I squeezed in a run and a little upper body stuff..
  • patriciaannbibo
    patriciaannbibo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    10 minutes Solution exercise Dvd are good.If you have Netflixs there in the Streaming .Walking around Campus probably counts for Something. You Can Split your workouts up in to 10 minute time . !0 ,10, 10 to equal 30 at different times of the day.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I don't claim to know it all, nor do I know what it's like going to medical school. I do know (via friends) that schedules for med school are horrendous, so I do feel your pain.

Here are a few ideas I have:
    - Maybe jump on the treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike and do some reading while getting in that exercise. You can get in a really good WALK, for an hour of walking at 3.5, you can burn more calories than running at 5.0 for 30 minutes... AND you can do some reading/studying, too!!!
    - Get some workout videos to do at home (this could save a few minutes getting to the gym).
    - If you are close to your gym, on the days you do weights, walk to the gym do your weights, then walk/run home. I've contemplated doing this myself, since my gym is about a mile away from me... Perfect amount of cardio before/after the weights. :-)
    - If you are close to school, try getting a bike and riding to/from classes.
    - On my lunch break, I'll either walk around the building at work, or my company has actually let me bring my treadmill to work for everyone to use, and I sometimes walk the treadmill on my lunch break/even on my 15 minute breaks. :)

Just a few ideas... I try to multi task as much as I can.
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    f you have time to screw around on FB and on here asking this question, quit making excuses and get to work. Like the previous poster said, we can't make time for you, but if you want it, you will make the time. Simple.
  • Kbackinshape
    Options
    Hello all!

Thanks everyone! :)

Just asking for ideas on what to do during those weeks when Im extra busy. Not saying that Im not making time just asking what to do with the time that I have and the fact that that I'm struggling with the different schedule each week. Great ideas!! Time to get to work :) I will do the short workouts for this week until Im done with my peds rotation plus pediatrics exit exam, especially when I feel the need to take a break instead of going of a snack. After this week is over then back to my usual 60 min workout 4 times a week!

Thank you!!!
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez, I hate how MD's are like this. They have crazy busy schedules, especially during med school and residencies. You guys are expected to know how to be healthy and how to fix medical woes, yet arent even given enough time to be healy yourselves. I hate it that every md I see is overweight and it's because theyre so busy all the time. How can you make time when you have to run 12 hours on, 12 hours off for months on end?

That being said, it's not likel to change. And as a mom of four who owns her own biz, I know that time can be precious and it's hard to find time. So right now, I take the kids to the local rec center and give them a chance to play with other kids in the daycare while I get in a workout. I don't feel so guilty because the 2 at home are getting some social time, and I get some me time. Before I had a gym I could go to, I got up at 5:30 with my husband who did army pt and I did my pt while he was gone, before the kids got up. Maybe take a walk on your lunch break or if you can, walk/ bike to work?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Are you snacking healthily?
    Are you eating enough to give your brain enough fuel to handle the stress?
    Getting enough sleep?
    Drinking a couple bottles of pure water a day?

I know you were probably asking for exercise ideas, but those 4 things- if they are dismissed as not important- will keep you from losing weight and possibly cause you to gain. Start putting more importance on them and GUESS WHAT!- suddenly you'll be finding time to workout- because you won't be too tired or preoccupied to do it in the spare time you have now!