What keeps you motivated?

Options
I just want to be fit and healthy...I'm not terribly concerned with weight loss (maybe that's the problem?)...though I'd like to stay put and not gain. I just want to feel good about myself. I read all the health mags and browse here daily, but it's a constant battle with food choices and exercise. I know what to do and how to do it, but I don't do it 100%. I'll have a great breakfast and do horrible for lunch and dinner and overload my calorie intake. Or I'll burn 500 calories working out and exercising and then eat a huge meal out. I'm really struggling with balance.

How do you cope and what keeps you on course?

Replies

• alimk43
    alimk43 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I could have written exactly the same post - spend all day keeping count of cals and exercising and then blow it in the evening with snacks and wine! Only just joined MFP so hoping will get some support and motivation here too!
  • ElHombre23
    ElHombre23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You have to want it and want it bad....All goals are attainble with the right mindset...focus in on small goals that are easy to accomplish allow your confidence to build. I started with wanting to have four good days in a week then 5,6...and so on..after a month my healthy habbits have taken over my poor unhealthy habbits.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    My best friend has been a personal trainer for a little over a year now, when I told him my plans to get healthy back in jan. he insisted on helping me. We work out everyday (alternating between cardio one and weight lifting the the next.) he keeps me motivated! I feel as though I do not want to let him down! (he trains me for free, on his own time, and he is very busy so the fact that he takes 2 hours out of each day to help me says a lot) when I first started, I think it was the second weekend, I had a bad day, going over by a lot. And he looked so disappointed (he didn't say anything bad really, because he only gives me positive encouragement) but I felt bad that I let him down, and said to myself that I never will again! (I do have cheat meals a couple times a month, and go over for the day every once in a while. But never that badly. And he encourages cheat meals every couple of weeks, but "healthy cheat meals" lol like on Easter I had a turkey dinner, and he said that that was good! He just doesn't like fast food type cheat meals.)
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Fitting into my kilt for a wedding
  • simplykate09
    Options
    That's awesome that your friend makes time to be there for you and if not disappointing him is your motivation, good for you! Just remember you're doing this for you, and keep up the great work!
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My Son was diagnosed with a disablity last year and it devasted me. I gave up on trying to take care of myself and ballooned up to 235lbs. The only other time I've been heavier was at the end of my pregnancy when I was 250lbs. I couldn't go up the stairs without feeling winded. He getting older and more busy so I have to lose weight to keep up with him. I also don't want to end up dying young because of something I could prevent (ie heart attack) and leave him without his #1 advocate and supporter.

Less noble reason....I'm too cheap to buy larger pants when I have perfectly good ones I bought a year ago and outgrew in the closet ;)
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    The support from my friends on here, the fact that all my jeans are swimming on me, and my husband is starting to notice me again.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I look at myself in the mirror. If I am not completely satisfied with what is looking back at me, I get to the gym.
    I want to be healthy and fit. Eating and drinking crap won't get me there, so I don't.
    If you want to succeed, you will.
  • DANCHAN1
    DANCHAN1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I know what you are saying. My modus operandi is that I work out and eat really clean until Friday night. Then I start with the wine. Once the wine or rum come out so does all the garbage. I usually start the week off having regained what I had lost and then some.

Until I can get the drinking under control I have to stop for a while. I have done this all my life and enough is enough.

If I was at my goal weight I would say hey if you eat good and work out 80% of the week and endulge A LITTLE on the weekend I can live with that but I am not there.

Here is what is keeping me on track:

Summer is around the corner

I am tired of being the "biggest" with my thin friends they are all skinny

It makes ME feel better at a lower weight

I visualize myself wearing a bikini or shorts and a cute top or a sleeveless dress with some definition in my arms

I deserve to be at a healthy weight. If this was my children or grandchildren I would do it for them so I have to do it for me.

I work hard and have sacrificed things for my job, my hubby, my kids, my grandkids but what am I saying if I don't do it for ME? That I am not worth it? How can that be, all of these people love me and are a part of me so if they are worth it then so the hell am I

THAT IS WHAT IS KEEPING ME MOTIVATE.
  • DANCHAN1
    Options
    My best friend has been a personal trainer for a little over a year now, when I told him my plans to get healthy back in jan. he insisted on helping me. We work out everyday (alternating between cardio one and weight lifting the the next.) he keeps me motivated! I feel as though I do not want to let him down! (he trains me for free, on his own time, and he is very busy so the fact that he takes 2 hours out of each day to help me says a lot) when I first started, I think it was the second weekend, I had a bad day, going over by a lot. And he looked so disappointed (he didn't say anything bad really, because he only gives me positive encouragement) but I felt bad that I let him down, and said to myself that I never will again! (I do have cheat meals a couple times a month, and go over for the day every once in a while. But never that badly. And he encourages cheat meals every couple of weeks, but "healthy cheat meals" lol like on Easter I had a turkey dinner, and he said that that was good! He just doesn't like fast food type cheat meals.)

WHAT A GREAT FRIEND....You are very lucky. I had a trainer for a while at $75.00/hour 3 times per week I used him for 2 weeks and got all the routines down but it is not the same. So thank him every day.
  • DANCHAN1
    Options
    My Son was diagnosed with a disablity last year and it devasted me. I gave up on trying to take care of myself and ballooned up to 235lbs. The only other time I've been heavier was at the end of my pregnancy when I was 250lbs. I couldn't go up the stairs without feeling winded. He getting older and more busy so I have to lose weight to keep up with him. I also don't want to end up dying young because of something I could prevent (ie heart attack) and leave him without his #1 advocate and supporter.

Less noble reason....I'm too cheap to buy larger pants when I have perfectly good ones I bought a year ago and outgrew in the closet ;)

Wow what GREAT motivation!
  • DANCHAN1
    Options
    The support from my friends on here, the fact that all my jeans are swimming on me, and my husband is starting to notice me again.

Great reasons feeling clothing getting larger while you get smaller is amazing. Having hubby notice is very nice.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Well I use to be just like this, I was interested in the thought of getting myself in a better place, but I didn't have the drive or determination, Interest can only take one so far, it's commitment that has no boundaries. Commitment excepts no excuses; only results.

What keeps me going? Well when I first started out, it was the thought of diabetes. I already had diabetes in my pregnancy, and was pron to have it again if I didn't change. My dad had a heart attack and found out he was diabetic all in 1 day. So I needed to change. I'm about 90% sure before my last pregnancy, I was also a diabetic. I had all the signs of a diabetic, I just never got tested, never wanted to get tested. I nearly passed out one day because my blood sugar was really high, I know it was. I was with my Mother in law and I ate a donut and after I had it, I about passed out. I was going to go get tested after this, but ended up finding out shortly after I had that spell, that I was pregnant so I ended up having the test done anyway. Yup was diabetic, but it could have been pregnancy that caused me faint like? I don't know. After I had her, I gained 25.5lbs back from after losing 70 in my pregnancy. Went from 250lbs to 180 in my pregnancy, back to 205.5lbs. I'm now down to 138lbs. How? What kept me motivated? After I started seeing changes, I started liking it. The only time I've ever really been able to see true changes, is when I take photo's and compare. It's amazing and I am addicted to see my body change. When my husband puts his arms around me and can't keep his hands off me, that motivates me. When I see someone I've not seen in awhile and I hear how good I look. But the biggest motivator to me, is how good I feel. Putting my butt in a size 5/6 when I use to wear a size 20. That motivates me to keep going. I still have times I just want to give up. But then I ask myself "What the hell did you come so far to just give up?" And then I'm right back at it.

It's never easy, but nothing in life worth having is easy. We just have to choose what we want in life and then ask yourself if you want it bad enough to get it. It's a mind game, once you get passed the mind aspect of it all, the rest pretty much falls into place. Anyone can do it, but not everyone is willing to reach for it.
  • Mailmann504
    Mailmann504 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've just started about 2 weeks ago, so Its still new to me, one thing is for sure is that 300 lbs. is not for me.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I've just started about 2 weeks ago, so Its still new to me, one thing is for sure is that 300 lbs. is not for me.
    I was almost 300 when I started too. Feel free to add me if you'd like, we will reach our goals together!
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Honestly, all of my MF peeps keep me motivated. When i see them posting workouts and reading their energetic updates and weight loss, it makes me want to move....seriously peeps are the key to my success.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Setting new goals and creating new challenges for myself are what keep me going! The support here is highly motivating and I find helping other people helps me keep on track!
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    didnt read all the replies but im in the same boat as the poster and the second person that responded. i "know" what i need to do, and i do well the first part of the day, but "mess up" at some point, usually right before sleep. it's frustrating becasue i always wonder why i had to do it.... usually i dont put up much fo a fight when food tempts me, but then always feel guilty afterwards.
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If I'm feeling a little unmotivated, I take a look through the Success Board.
    There are so many examples of awsomeness that can't help but be lifted.

Also, I have 1 'Splurge Day' every week and I feel that that helps me concentrate
    on being 'good' the rest of the time and I also feel more energized in the few
    days afterwards.

Good luck on finding your motivation
    Nicola xxx
  • xoxMandyxox
    xoxMandyxox Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I started a daily goal chart. A list of healthy activities that I wanted to complete each day that I would be able to check off if I did it. If I wasn't able to check it off, it just makes me strive to do better the next time. Since you're not overly focused on losing weight, why not focus on healthier habits? If you eat right and exercise, the weight should take care of itself, just as long as you don't overeat all the time.

Have your goals be to drink 8 glasses of water a day, to be under your daily calorie limit, workout (just the word "workout"; you'd be surprised how motivating it is to workout harder when you have a vague word like that), and something fun, like, "go for a 30 minute walk" or something.

I also just got a heart rate monitor which lets me compete against myself for how many calories I can burn in X amount of time ^.^ If you're at all competitive, I suggest getting one of those.