Not losing very much wieght. Why? Please check out my food

Options
Hi,

I've been trying to eat around 1200 calories (with the occassional 1600 days due to drinking :P). I think this is less than I would normally eat, if not watching. It's been over a month now, and I only lost 2.5 or maybe 3 pounds (and that depends on the day). Am I doing something wrong? Maybe I'm gaining muscle? Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks.

Replies

• nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Try readjusting your goals to allow less carbs, and more protein. Maybe try <200g a day, and than decrease it a bit more from there.

You'll feel heaps fuller, longer too!
  • cassieko
    cassieko Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? How much? Are you tracking inches lost as well?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker you only want to lose 11 pounds. With that little to lose, you cannot and should not seek to lose more that half a pound a week. Any more than that is going to be fought by your body.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Also, MFP tends to underestimate calories in food while overestimating calories in exercise. I agree with the person earlier about the carbs. It doesn't appear that a lot of your carbs are coming from fruits/veggies. I did see a lot of processed foods. This *may* be part of the problem. Some people lose weight just restricting calories while others (like me) have to eat more veggies. I also have to get in some good exercise to lose. Just this past week I lost between 1/2 and 1 lb. my diet wasn't perfect but mainly due to quantity, not quality. My exercise was way low. I up my exercise, I lose weight.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been trying to eat around 1200 calories (with the occassional 1600 days due to drinking :P). I think this is less than I would normally eat, if not watching. It's been over a month now, and I only lost 2.5 or maybe 3 pounds (and that depends on the day). Am I doing something wrong? Maybe I'm gaining muscle? Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks.

How tall are you and whats your body fat%?
    Chances are you dont eat enough!

Oh!

How much do you weigh?
  • Drizap
    Drizap Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and now I weigh 146.

Thanks everyone for your comments!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking your exercise is overestimating calories burned? Although that probably wouldn't make a huge impact.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    At 5'11", 146 lbs your weight loss goal should be 0.5 lbs/week. Maaaaybe 1 lb/week, but that's pushing it. You can use the BMR calculator at the top to determine your BMR (and thus the minimum amount of calories you should eat per day).

With that said, I'm noticing a lot of days in the past couple weeks where you go over by 300-400. That in itself isn't too bad so long as it's the exception, but an extra 250 calories per day comes out to 0.5 lbs/week. So you're really eating into your goal there.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You're likely not eating enough- your BMR ( what a hospital would feed you if you were in a coma) is higher than what you're eating and you're exercising on top of that.

Never eat below your BMR.

Check out this thread if you haven't yet-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    Too many carbs