Why do i always go way over my sugar intake?

Options
Is anyone else finding this? Everyday i go extremly over my sugar intake , sometimes even double it. I am starting to track it since sugar turns into fat, but im having alot of trouble with finding low to no sugar food. Almost everything i eat is high in sugar!! Does anyone have low sugar snacks i can have? I already went over my sugar intake by 2 grams so far today..:ohwell:

Replies

• megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Is it fruit sugar? If so you will go over but it's ok fruit sugar is natural and good for you.
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    1 5.3 oz. greek yogurt for breakfast put me over, add to that the pineapple I had for a snack and I am 20g over already for the day...I am curious about this too because I am always WAY over and it doesn't seem like I am consuming things that have that much sugar in them! I CANNOT use artificial sweeteners of any kind due to sensitivities to them.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic or have some other metabolic disorder, I wouldn't worry about sugar from whole fruit or milk.
  • Sheila1968
    Sheila1968 Posts: 106
    Options
    This drives me crazy on MFP - to the point that I don't even track sugar any more. It's kind of pointless when my usual weekday foods of a banana, an apple, a fat free yogurt and a half glass of cranberry juice put me WAY over the limit. If they don't count natural fruit sugars, then they should adjust the way it's tracked, imo. Yes, I try not to eat excessive amounts of sugar and I never ADD sugar to anything, but I don't think MFP gives you a realistic way to track it.

One of my few complaints about the site, actually. That and the "if every day were like today" nonsense that has NEVER worked for me. I do eat the same every day but have only lost 3 pounds in a year, while it keeps telling me I should be below 150 by now. *sigh*
  • TheDecision
    Options

Because you eat too much sugar.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I am starting to track it since sugar turns into fat,
    This isn't true. Excess calories turn into fat. Sugar doesn't magically add to your body fat if you are eating in a calorie deficit. Unless you're diabetic, sugar is irrelevant as long as you keep to your calorie goal.
  • Sheila1968
    Options

Because you eat too much sugar.

I disagree. See my post above.
  • tigersword
    Options
    This drives me crazy on MFP - to the point that I don't even track sugar any more. It's kind of pointless when my usual weekday foods of a banana, an apple, a fat free yogurt and a half glass of cranberry juice put me WAY over the limit. If they don't count natural fruit sugars, then they should adjust the way it's tracked, imo. Yes, I try not to eat excessive amounts of sugar and I never ADD sugar to anything, but I don't think MFP gives you a realistic way to track it.

One of my few complaints about the site, actually. That and the "if every day were like today" nonsense that has NEVER worked for me. I do eat the same every day but have only lost 3 pounds in a year, while it keeps telling me I should be below 150 by now. *sigh*
    There's no difference between "natural" sugar and added sugar.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Good lord people.

Don't track sugar from fruits and veggies.

Track sugar from mcdonalds, snickers, ice cream and what not.
  • Sheila1968
    Options

Which makes it practically impossible not to go over your limit unless you quit eating fruit, is how it seems to me. It's not like I'm scarfing donuts and Twinkies and going over.
  • Sheila1968
    Options

Good lord people.

Don't track sugar from fruits and veggies.

Track sugar from mcdonalds, snickers, ice cream and what not.

My point was that MFP counts it all the same, so it's always going to show me over, even when I'm eating healthy.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've stopped tracking as it drives me crazy, when I don't have anything with added sugar. You can over ride the settings on mfp and set it to a level your comfortable with and would like to aim for. Go to settings, then the goal tab at the top... Hope this helps. X
  • tigersword
    Options

Which makes it practically impossible not to go over your limit unless you quit eating fruit, is how it seems to me. It's not like I'm scarfing donuts and Twinkies and going over.
    Exactly, sugar is irrelevant. The limit that's given is just an arbitrary number, based on a percentage of your total carbs. It has absolutely nothing to do with anything. The only people that should be concerned with sugar are diabetics, for the rest of the world, it doesn't matter.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am starting to track it since sugar turns into fat,
    This isn't true. Excess calories turn into fat. Sugar doesn't magically add to your body fat if you are eating in a calorie deficit. Unless you're diabetic, sugar is irrelevant as long as you keep to your calorie goal.

This!! and I am a Type 2 Diabetic and I do not track sugar... I track my calories, carbs , protein, and fat.... Lost 305 lbs. and my A1c have went from 10.0 in 2009 to 5.3 and holding there over the last 3 check ups. (check ups every 4 months).
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am over sugar every day, usually by breakfast. I have greek yogurt with fruit and some coffee with half a cup of 1% milk, Truvia, and a teaspoon (1/6 of a serving) of homemade chocolate syrup. And that puts me over. And aside from a tiny square of bittersweet chocolate (required for my mental health), that bit of chocolate syrup is the only non-fruit sugar I eat. The rest comes from fruit and dairy. I am always over on sugar, always over on protein, under on fat and under on carbs. I think as long as you're getting natural sugars you should be fine. If you're getting all this sugar from things with white sugar and flour, it may be time to reevaluate.
    ETA: I've decided that I'm a grown woman and I know what foods are good for me and which ones aren't. I'm going to go take sugar off my tracker and put fiber on. I need to work on fiber.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would stop tracking it, period. Fruit, milk and yogurt are all healthy if eaten in reasonable portions. Tracking naturally-occurring sugars is a good way to frustrate yourself and make you give up altogether.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I quit tracking the sugar in my food logger. At least 90% of my sugar is coming from dairy, fruits and vegetables and I certainly didn't get fat eating fruits and veggies, and even when I was heavy I still drank skim milk or low fat at the time. So... it can't be that bad for me in the grand scheme of things, it's not processed or added sugar per say.

I wouldn't stress over it, I had to stop myself from stressing over it too! :smile:
  • tracy63031
    tracy63031 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm restarting again after falling off the wagon. I noticed that I went 3 times over my allowance for sugar but I only had milk, fruit and greek yogurt. I've been searching the web trying to find how many grams of sugar you should have and can't get an answer. I'm trying to stay between 1500-1600 calories a day. Any ideas?