Looking for buddies born in the '50's

Options
Hi:

I am a lady from Vancouver Island in Canada who will be 60 in September and I need to lose about the same number of pounds in weight. I would like to buddy up with others near my age with similar goals for support and encouragement. One of my problems is knowing what type of exercises I should be doing and how to do them and would appreciate some guidance in that area. I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

Replies

• MindfulLiving
    MindfulLiving Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good morning, I'm Pat, I live in Seattle/Tacoma area, I'm going to be 65 in September and I need to loose more than you, but willing to buddy up with you and pass on what is working for me.... to keep myself honest I log in every thing I eat. I have set my calorie intake to 1500 per day and do my best to stay there. You can add me if you want. Welcome to MFP.
  • gcrrralice
    gcrrralice Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Pat - I was born in 1949. I was 63 this last February and it is nice to find someone in the same age group. Our weight doesn't seem to come off as fast as the people in their 40's! Did you set your own goal to 1500 calories? Mine is 1200 and I find it hard to deal with sometimes. I get on the scale and get discouraged so then stop putting in my info. Back at it now; spring is here and I haven't done anything to help myself. Let's stay in touch. Rhonda. No pic yet but will get one on.
  • Reddak98
    Reddak98 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I turned 60 last November. It IS hard to find others in my age group to make this journey with. Sending out friend requests.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my fitness pal. I also will be 60 this year.:smile:
  • gcrrralice
    gcrrralice Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    They say waling is the very best of any excercise so set a goal of at least a mile a day to start out with. We aren't out for the marathon; only starting to approach good habits.
  • ranoe
    ranoe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am ready to have some company on my weight loss journey. I turned 59 this year. I would love some friends.
  • desertdove
    Options
    bump
  • carefulkate
    carefulkate Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I turned 59 last week so would love to buddy up with others in same age group I love zumba and salsa as exercise and pilates:laugh: just rarely find the time or the energy
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I too was born in February of 1949. I wish you would all send a friend request. I would love more friends around my own age. I too had an issue with exercising. I bought a Leslie Sansone DVD and started at first doing it two or three days a week. Sometimes I would get busy and forget. It is an aerobic DVD and if you can walk in place, do side steps, little kicks and some knee lifts then you can do this. I have a terrible case of osteoporosis so it had to be low impact for me. Well long story short. I like the DVD I ordered and have upped it to daily now. That and the fact that I upped the amount of protein in my diet and changed one of my eating habits of drinking with meals, I lost three pounds yesterday. My food diary is open to friends only.

I would love some new friends. Oh, I live in Louisiana.
  • huck23
    huck23 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    my name is mike i was born in 1951 feel free to add me
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for answering my post. I am still finding my way around this site and trying to set up my diet and exercise plans. I would like to add all of you as friends and will do that when I get everything set up. I'm happy to find others in my age group to work with and am looking forward to getting to know you all.
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Would someone please tell me what "bump" means?
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Bump just brings this post to the top of the message board.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Bump just brings this post to the top of the message board.

It also places the thread into the "your topics" category above so that you can find it again.
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    Hi!! I just turned 56 a week ago...was born in 56. Feel free to ad me, any of you who answered this post!!
  • Mamafred
    Mamafred Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Cheryl from Kentucky. I turn 54 in about 2 weeks. I would be happy to add any of you as friends.

About 10 years ago I stopped weighing because it was too depressing. After about a year of denial and indulgence, I was bursting out of every stitch of clothing I owned. I realized my foolishness and got on the scales - 197 lbs. After a good cry, I bought a calorie book and a Leslie Sansone dvd. I got down to 168 in about 6 months, but didn't do it in a very health way and ended up regaining 18 lbs. I have learned so much more about food choices and, because of MFP, started adding strength training to my cardio. That has made all the difference. The support and knowledge that comes from this site has been incredible!
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm in the vicinity of this age group, though I rarely admit it, LOL. Would like more friends to keep pushing me. I'm on a roll right now, getting in shape for a mini triathlon and a short backpack trip. To avoid embarrassment there, I'm working out very hard.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Hi...I will be 59 in a couple of months. ---how on earth did THAT happen? Would love some new friends around my age!
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Add me too. I'll be 60 in November and plan to meet that birthday a lot more fit and healthy. It'll be great to have MFP friends my age! Really sounds like we need a Group for people in their 50's and 60's. If no one starts one in the next 24 hours, I will so let's all look for it to show up.

I've walked every day for a long time and have recently added aerobic exercise on a machine for more intense exercise. I'm planning to introduce light free weights this week to start strengthening work. I also look for chances to get in more activitiy wherever I can: I choose stairs instead of elevators, park farther than I must from store entrances, do yard work, house work, etc. I figure it's definitely a case of 'use it or lose it' now.
  • DANCHAN1
    DANCHAN1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi I was born in 1957 so 54 years old. Add me