Any runners out there?

Options
I know it's not a pleasant topic but does anyone have experience with blisters? I'm training for a half marathon and it's not the running that's hard it's the pain while running from the developing blisters. Any suggestions on how to prevent/treat them?

Replies

• miseducation1327
    miseducation1327 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah as far as foot wear goes I've gone to a running store and have had my gait checked and am currently wearing saucony kinvara - a light weight training shoe.
  • kflong
    kflong Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure you have a great pair of sox (my favorite are Thorlo womens running sox) Also, I know this may sound funny, but make sure your sneakers are big enough. It is easy to wear shoes that are not the right size when you pick them out yourself. If you have a running store near you, check it out. I always buy my running sneakers at one where they take you outside, watch your stride and set you up with the right shoe. I am always blister free!! I hope that helps :)
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you my experience. I get blisters when I break in new shoes or run for long distances. These were the instructions given to me from my doctor. Make a small incision whether with a clean pin or toenail scissors. Then drain it and then put a bandage on it during the day and let it get air during night (repeat till it completely gets better). Don't know if that'll help you but it works well for me. If you peel the skin off you'll be working out on raw skin and that is going to hurt!
  • miseducation1327
    miseducation1327 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks I've gone to VA Runners where they take you outside and do the running test :) I'll try some different socks though!
  • ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    agreed. get a nice pair of socks. ie spend the $12 for a pair of socks and you will not regret it. also, putting on too many miles at once can cause blisters or other injuries. i learned this the hard way. you should not increase your mileage by more than 10% week over week... i went from averaging 60 miles per month to 130 in January to train for a marathon and now have runner's knee :|

good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The skin will toughen over time. Use band aids or moleskin on the places that get rubbed until it does.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Maybe 2 pairs of socks so the socks rub togeher and not the skin? This works for walkers :-)
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion of new socks - I used to be very prone to blisters; Wrightsocks double layer anti-blister socks saved my feet!
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Proper socks, ensuring your shoes fit correctly, body glide on your feet. pop them with a pin push the fluid out the tiny hole and bandage.