Dukan?

Has anyone had success with the Dukan diet? And was it long-term?

A couple of months ago I popped all my weight history in the weight-loss calculator on the UK site, and I was disappointed to find that the diet told me my ideal weight would be 72kg. However, four months on and I've only lost 10 pounds trying lots of exercise and eating 1650 - 1800 cals, occassionally having high protein days.

Until this month I'd been logging in regularly, but I'm starting to lose motivation, I've been exercising less and I've missed a few days of logging my food. I'm wondering if Dukan is a lifestyle diet from which I can get results.

Kat

Replies

• BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Dukan diet does work but the drawbacks I found were the restrictions on food choice. If you stick to it, it definitely works. So much protein and nothing else for the first phase, only protein and some veggies second phase and so on. I got so bunged up I had to take laxative and pooped myself at work. That was the end of Dukan for me. A buddy of mine has lost over a 100 lbs on it and has kept it off. Doesn't bother him a bit.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Dukan is so strict! And I don't like the fact that you can't eat any veggies at first. I do know someone that lost a lot of water weight straight up but I don't think there was much fat loss in there. And he gave it up after about 3 weeks because he found it too hard.

Have you thought about just reducing your carbs a bit? I had a look through your diary and there's not that many days logged but it looks like you're getting lots of carbs and not a lot of protein. You can go in and change your goal settings for Carbs / Protein / Fat
  • eagle_01
    eagle_01 Posts: 94
    Thanks for that, it sounds like there's a definite weight drop in the attack phase, but I guess like any of these diets there's a question of how long you can keep it up.

I'll go back to upping my protein for a while, and maybe I can do a week of the Dukan in between.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    I got bored of that one in 2 weeks and lasted 3.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    I would change your macros to 40 carbs, 30fat, 30 protein. I thought these goals would be impossible for me but I've been finding they are quite easy. Lots of chicken! Protein shakes\bars help. X
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    I can't offer you my personal experience because low/no carb diets really aren't for me but if you're in the UK, you may be familiar with the broadcaster Jenni Murray - she lost 5 stone on the Dukan diet last year but has now put all that weight back on and has joined Weight Watchers. Take from that what you will.
  • Dr. Dukan is currently under review in France and risks being removed from the registrar of doctors here for several reasons (not just diet based, also a question of ethics apparently). Just thought I would throw that out there as it could be something to keep in mind.

http://www.lemonde.fr/sante/article/2012/03/26/le-dr-dukan-vise-par-deux-plaintes_1675468_1651302.html
  • jansari2
    jansari2 Posts: 15
    Unfortunately its a restrictive diet just like any other. My friend did it for a month and gained half of the weight lost. Perhaps change the workout, increase protein and lower calorie intake by a 100? If your intake is 1600-1800, perhaps try 1500 for 2 weeks and see what happens. Good luck!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Some people follow restrictive diets like Dukan and lose a lot of weight quickly, butt whether or not they keep the weight off in the long run is another thing.

I tried umpteen different diet plans in the past, some were more successful than others. I never did Dukan, but if there is one thing I have learnt in the past 7-8 months is that you will only lose weight and keep the weight off if you are 100% committed to losing weight.

Now by being committed doesn't mean, in my case anyhow, only eating clean or cutting out this and that from my diet, but simply by making sure that over the course of a week (or two) that I don't go over my TDEE calories, that I exercise regularly (I swim and cycle a bit... nothing OTT) and most of all, I enjoy life and don't let my diet stop me from eating well and/or from going out to eat with friends/family or restaurants.

Once you've got into that mindset you will find it becomes second nature, but you really need to want to do it otherwise I don't think it will be anything more than a chore.

I think you do want to succeed and you've lost 10lbs already which is no mean feat in anybody's books. Give Dukan a try if you think it's something you could do, but keep and open mind and if it doesn't work for you, then try not to give up. There is a food, nutrition and fitness plan that's right for everyone - once you find it, you'll understand the secret of successful weight loss!

Good Luck!
  • eagle_01
    eagle_01 Posts: 94
    Thank you all. That's interesting about the review of Dr Dukan and Jenni Murray's experience.